Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Game Development
| | |-+  Game Development Discussion (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | | |-+  Buying a house
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buying a house  (Read 13236 times)
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2005, 06:03:47 PM »

No, that's UnderQuest for Glory. And then there's SpaceQuest for Glory.  

Paladin0707077
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2005, 10:38:50 PM »

Roger Wilco, Space Janitor as...the Prince of Derrier!!

As for the house: I like, but I think there should be more to it...like maybe have some more optional quests to help make it better. And, to help the Hero become more powerfull.

After all, Remember that useless mansion you bought in FFVII? Where was the fun in that besides waiting money? There's got to be something else there...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 10:41:00 PM by Paladin0707077 » Logged

The Paladin: To seek, To learn, To do.
-quest board in QFG2

If I ever feel too down or over-inflated, all I have to do is remember one of two things: to the right of me, in some dimension, I am a king; to the left of me, in another dimension, I am a hanged man.
-ME!
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2005, 02:28:21 AM »

Perhaps you could have sla-ah! Servants, I mean, to help you.  

Paladin0707077
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2005, 02:44:51 AM »

That might work. People you rescue.

Or, just have stuff you find go to your house...

All of it being optional.

-quest board in QFG2

If I ever feel too down or over-inflated, all I have to do is remember one of two things: to the right of me, in some dimension, I am a king; to the left of me, in another dimension, I am a hanged man.
-ME!
lazygamer
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2005, 04:04:40 AM »

Buying a house? It would be more interesting to own something like a small castle or mansion. Maybe we don't actually own such a structure, but it's entrusted to us by someone.

Q: When will it be released?
A: When it is done.

-Lazygamer on fangame cliches
Paladin0707077
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2005, 07:29:57 AM »

Yeah...yeah, I like that.

Heck, we could even have an easter egg in there, where we find several "treasures" which are used to help pay for the house, while making a crack about how they're useless for anything else...

-quest board in QFG2

-ME!
Sirus
Squire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2005, 12:27:46 AM »

In Castlevania:Harmony of Dissonance (and perhaps other Castlevania games) you could collect furniture from around the castle, and them place it in a certain room for no reason (although I think you get something if you get all the furniture, but I never beat the game)

Current Project:Hero of the Rune My QFG Fangame!
Current Status: Working on plot and a design document before getting in over my head.
PHattiE
Administrator
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2005, 06:13:00 PM »

Castlevania is one of my fave side scrollers.  I've won that game.  I believe you had to collect all the furniture to win(?)  I don't remember exactly.

Fable allows you to buy your own house.  You can even rent it out and make money.  It's a good idea I think.

Reish Vedaur
Plot Team
Adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2005, 07:02:02 PM »

Ultima Online too.

Sirus
Squire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2005, 11:33:46 PM »

Oh ya, I forgot about the Fable houses.

Although I haven't played Ultima.

How about Daggerfall? Anyone played that? It is Edler Scrolls II
I don't remember exactly, but I think you could buy houses (from the Bank of Daggerfall)

Current Project:Hero of the Rune My QFG Fangame!
Current Status: Working on plot and a design document before getting in over my head.
PHattiE
Administrator
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2005, 05:21:30 PM »

I played daggerfall, but I don't think I played for very long....  I don't remember buying houses.

anyway, the problem with buying houses is that it gives the sense of permanancy.  I prefer the wandering hero....

The Guy
Pr Team
Knight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2005, 04:11:44 AM »

That may be all well and good for the Fighter class, probably the Mage class, unsure if a Paladin's honor would allow him to accept it, but what about from the Thief's perspective? A fighter being more honorable would definately either earn a house or if he had enough gold buy his own home. Quite possibly the same with the mage (or if the mage gains some spell knowlwdge of magically creating a house/cabin). In my own opinion, the thief should "acquire" his own house, 1- whether say breaking into a certain designated house, 2- breaking into a house, offing the original owner, and making up some excuse that he/she moved (if asked), 3- possibly "attaining" the deed for said designated house (from say the sheriff's office or something), 4- or breaking into some abandoned house, whether in a city or a random lone house in the country (if there will be such things). I'm not sure if the house option will be implemented or not, but just some extra suggestions in the possibility of it happening and not taking too much time of the developers and whatnot. Looking forward to the game! Have a good day, evening night, whatever it is, whereever you may be.

Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2005, 07:47:35 AM »

I played daggerfall, but I don't think I played for very long....  I don't remember buying houses.

anyway, the problem with buying houses is that it gives the sense of permanancy.  I prefer the wandering hero....
Hmm...very good point.

One day I will bring peace to the world with my invincible Army of Mice

The Guy
Pr Team
Knight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2005, 09:43:22 AM »

Ok, granted the wandering hero does have quite an appeal to it and I know I'm more then likely getting ahead of myself, but what about after all the adventuring is over?  Does the hero wander forever or eventually settledown?  If settling down does comes to terms, then it may just be nice to already have a place to go to instead of having to find a place later.  Then again after all that adventuring, one may already have acquired more then enough wealth to take care of the necessary things.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 10:05:30 AM by The Guy » Logged

PHattiE
Administrator
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2005, 06:39:20 PM »

I suppose so.  But think of this:

If the hero starts his hero business young, he's living with his parents.  In this case he's too young for my interest.  I mean what type of hero starts his career from his parent's basement?

I've just always assumed that the hero had a house *before* getting suckered into the whole mess.

That, or he got into the military, and branched from there.  But honestly, it depends on the setting.  Unless the hero is interested in living in some lonely cottage in the forest, most towns are too smooshed together to make buying a house a feasibility.  Look at Europe as an example:  most people who own shops, live above them.  For everyone else, they live in an apartment somewhere.

Besides, the hero would have to save his money and other stuff that most heroes aren't concerned with.  If you're in Mordavia, and getting hit by the cold, windy weather, you ain't gonna be too concerned about lugging around a lot of money so you can put it in the bank and buy a house some time.  Right?  I mean, Mordavia doesn't have a bank, and your money pouch can't hold enough...

I dunno, maybe you would want to buy a house.  But I think for me, a house leads to marriage.  Marriage leads to kids.  Kids lead to old age.  I don't like thinking about that type of stuff as I'm running around killing monsters and wooing mistresses.  I'd rather die in a blaze of glory.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: