Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Game Development
| | |-+  Game Development Discussion (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | | |-+  War
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: War  (Read 16963 times)
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
War
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2005, 12:27:01 AM »

Fantastic idea! That would make a funny easter egg.

Ignus_Draconus
Famous Adventurer

View Profile WWW
War
« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2005, 12:27:51 AM »

that's why I suggested it

c/dos
c/dos/run
Paladin0707077
Adventurer

View Profile
War
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2005, 03:32:54 PM »

Heck, maybe we could do the Monty Python scene, with the army being stopped by the cops or something.

The Paladin: To seek, To learn, To do.
-quest board in QFG2

If I ever feel too down or over-inflated, all I have to do is remember one of two things: to the right of me, in some dimension, I am a king; to the left of me, in another dimension, I am a hanged man.
-ME!
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
War
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2005, 09:23:04 PM »

Do a clip from the Battle of Britain movie. That would be rich.

Paladin0707077
Adventurer

View Profile
War
« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2005, 01:17:33 AM »

Battle of Britian movie...? Am I the only one who has no clue what that is?

-quest board in QFG2

If I ever feel too down or over-inflated, all I have to do is remember one of two things: to the right of me, in some dimension, I am a king; to the left of me, in another dimension, I am a hanged man.
-ME!
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
War
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2005, 05:12:09 AM »

Have you never heard of the Battle of Britain? Geez..go read something about WWII.

KingWarman8
Initiate

View Profile
War
« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2005, 02:58:47 AM »

hey,

have a been WW 2 thing. nah, I'm just Joking around. but have the Hero take a pick to what side he wants to be on. but make it only he can only pick one good side, and if he picks the bad side, make a funny thing like, for example, in QFG 2, if you go back into that tea pot house, those two guards come after you and it saids : ohh, bliz, lost of Yardage.Brother 6, Warman 0" something like that,  "Solider, 5,000 Gold, weapons, 1,000 gold, you just been capture and unforutre things happing to you, priceless" some funny death thing like that. lol

Warman
Paladin0707077
Adventurer

View Profile
War
« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2005, 05:27:21 PM »

I KNOW about the Battle of Britain, I've just never heard of the MOVIE.

-quest board in QFG2

-ME!
Rulic
Squire

View Profile
War
« Reply #98 on: September 08, 2005, 09:56:03 PM »

Please forgive me for 'nay-saying', but it just would seem like a conflict with the aura of QFG for a hero to take a side on a war.  I like the idea of stopping a war.  I'd hate to see the NPCs I'm trying to help getting into the line of fire of the conflict.  Seemed to me that the hero is the 'champion' of the good, and sometimes not so good, people of the village/town/city.  His primary role is to solve a major problem in the region under the guidance and clues of the people he's helping.  Secondary role of course would be to help individuals with their menial tasks, and through that he learns or obtains means to an end to the major problem. [edit]Think of the hero as a "preventive bloodshed" adventurer.  That's why I always thought there was a whole school for heroes.  Because Glorianna is mainly peaceful, but they need a few people to go around taking some hits AND use his brain to make sure it stays that way.[/edit]
I honestly can't assertain seeing a game trying to emulate QFG to have such a violent feel to it.  What I recall of QFG was that it had less violence than the dime-a-dozen RPGs out there.  Its an Adventure game.  Also half, if not more, of the material in QFG to the best of my recollection is a little more upbeat, docile, and funny.  The more serious moments are divided into the conflict with the villians, DEFENDING yourself from harsh wildlife, and the dramatic 'teary eyed' moments of saving something beautiful in the world.
Also, with the thief idea of having houses to steal from.  To me....a good thief Hero is more like a Robin Hood type.  Stealing either from neccesity (and not uber-loot) or from evil, so that you may reclaim an item stolen from a good citizen of the town, for example.  
Let's say you have 5 houses to steal from....great.  Just as long as there is an item in there that you specifically need for a task someone else has given you.  Obviously the darker side of this would be the Thieve's Guild to tell you to steal a family heirloom from little ole Betsy Sue's house to prove your worth.  But to just have 10+ houses to steal from just to get gold or something you're just going to sell would be very Morrowindish to me.  The hero needs to focus on helping the community and not his personal gains.  I also don't think money is the catch-all to winning a QFG adventure.
Like I said, forgive me for arguing.  I may be wrong or I may have a decent point.  I just don't want Hero7 to stray from resembling QFG.  QFG was one of the greatest series ever and the reason why it was is because the Coles made it to be good and not to sell, but massive sales would've been nice.
Okay......go easy on me.  Let the flaming begin.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 10:05:47 PM by Rulic » Logged
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
War
« Reply #99 on: September 09, 2005, 12:41:15 AM »

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/87/3244/1024/fire-me.jpg

There's your flaming.

EDIT by BF: Please keep to the rules about image posting. Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 03:19:52 AM by Brassfire » Logged

Jafar
Famous Adventurer

New Age Retro

View Profile WWW
War
« Reply #100 on: September 09, 2005, 02:03:48 AM »

Dude, can you like, NOT stretch the forum please? <_<  

Jarada Knight: The Honorable Marshmallow
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
War
« Reply #101 on: September 09, 2005, 05:23:21 PM »

Sure, I could. But I won't.

Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
War
« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2005, 01:49:07 AM »

That's easy. If this keeps up, Corsair, your warn level would just be increased.

Jigen
Superhero

View Profile
War
« Reply #103 on: September 13, 2005, 06:51:56 AM »

Getting back on topic: Rulic's got a point. We really should be capitalising on what made the QFG's different to other RPG's. Like how breaking into houses and making of with stuff was not only something only a thief could do, but something quest specific. While in other RPG's you only have to walk into a random house when no-one is looking and making off with simple gold (or more likely, open the dude's chest right in front of him and empty it into your pack), in QFG you broke in, had to get around some difficulty or another (guards, squeaky hinges, little kittens that turn into panthers) and then steal valuables to be fenced later.
It actually felt for thief-ish. The same thing applies to the war idea, in other RPG's where the character's allignment is a factor you get to choose between an evil or a good side or flit between mercenary tasks for either faction, but QFG is more about telling a story than completing meagre subquests.

Just more food for thought (or seconds from Rulic's kitchen if you prefer).

Set a match alight, and a man will be warm for a minute.
Set a man on fire and he\'ll be warm the rest of his life.
PHattiE
Administrator
Hero

View Profile
War
« Reply #104 on: September 13, 2005, 07:17:13 PM »

I dunno, I seem to recall in QFG1 being able kick the grandma's cat, gratuitously looting neighbors, and killing the spitting spores among other things.  The real secret behind qfg was that it was light hearted and humorous.  It never took itself seriously...  

I think you can make a qfg-feeling game and have an evil side to it.  I totally agree about nixing pointless subquests, but I think it'd be awesome to have an optional evil tangent.  I mean, look, I'm the player.  I don't want to be forced into playing a pansy-ass hippy.  Let me do things my way.  If I think war is what the valley needs, hell, it's war time.  know what I mean?

I guess what I'm saying is that it's important to make a game where you can kick the grandma's cat and still be a hero.  But if being evil doesn't get you to the objective of being a hero, then it doesn't belong in the game.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: