Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Game Development
| | |-+  Future Hero6 Projects (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | | |-+  Weapons System
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Weapons System  (Read 11502 times)
Pwincess
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2005, 09:28:32 PM »

Np.  If you change your mind, you should apply directly to Deamious (our programing admin) on ICQ no# 1-030-284
lazygamer
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2005, 02:57:40 AM »

With as much work as has been put into plot, why doesn't the Hero6 Team choose to use graphics with more than 256 Colors? MAD is already capable of supporting it, so it would just be a matter of recreating the graphics at a higher resolution with a higher color depth.
The game resolution is in 320x240x16-bit to emulate oldstyle Sierra games. However, the intro movie will also be available in 640x480 for your enjoyment.

From the FAQ. That's alot more colors than true VGA offers, so some of the screens might look better than VGA. Unless the FAQ is outdated of course... Smiley

I would still suggest and recommend keeping with a 2D system or EXTREMELY simple 3D, but this game will lose many potential fans simply because it is still only VGA.

I'd think most people who are willing to play a 2D adventure game, are willing to tolerate VGA graphics. Particularly if Hero6 turns out to be amazing.

Q: When will it be released?
A: When it is done.

-Lazygamer on fangame cliches
Pwincess
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2005, 05:52:40 AM »

The FAQ is up to date  Wink  
ndcent168
Knight

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2005, 08:27:43 AM »

Yes, I didn't notice that in the FAQ when I had posted that--I hadn't read it in that much detail.

I must say that the graphics should be more than just something to "tolorate." Much of the potential audience for Hero6 will be lost simply by them looking at the screen shots. I call your attention to the Final Fantasy series: Although the first games in the series have the most original plot and probably best character classes, it is the least popular because of the graphics. FF X and X-2 are among the most popular, dispite the "borrowed" plot lines from the previous games, only because of the graphics.

And to those of you who will say, "It doesn't matter how many people we get to play this game--this is a volunteer effort," I can only reply by saying that if enough attention is generated to the game upon launch, the development effor for the next installment will go better. We will attract more coders, writers, artists, and possibly even financial backing.
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2005, 08:44:36 AM »

Just thinking, if we're going to have a Paladin class, why not give him a new type of sword instead of that Blue flaming sword? Perhaps one that radiants a white glow? Or one that only shines when there's danger nearby or at night?

Pwincess
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2005, 11:36:17 AM »

"We" will attract more coders, writers, artists, and possibly even financial backing.
What do you mean by this comment?   blink

ndcent168, considering the fact that the art work quality was decided quite a long time ago, I highly doubt that the art team will appreciate your comment.  If you don't like hero6 when it's finished, then don't play it.

Also, development time is not a factor of visitor interest... it's a factor of how much free time members on the team have to invest into hero6.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 11:36:37 AM by Pwincess » Logged
ndcent168
Knight

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2005, 08:25:15 PM »

I do not mean anything malicious by this comment. I understand that eveyone has a limited amount of time that they may use for projects, especially volunteer projects.

I was also not recommending that the Hero6 Team redo all the graphics. If the statements you have made about the progress of this project are accurate, it would add years to the development time.

All I was trying to say is that Hero7 should feature the best grahics that we are able to muster.
lazygamer
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2005, 09:37:04 PM »

I can only reply by saying that if enough attention is generated to the game upon launch, the development effor for the next installment will go better. We will attract more coders, writers, artists, and possibly even financial backing.

That is true, although even without snazzy graphics, Hero8(which I assume you are refering to) would develop easier due to the publicity from Hero7, which would develop easier due to the publicity from Hero6. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 09:40:53 PM by lazygamer » Logged

Q: When will it be released?
A: When it is done.

-Lazygamer on fangame cliches
ndcent168
Knight

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2005, 09:51:56 PM »

Exactly!
Pwincess
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2005, 10:05:52 PM »

You guys are funny...  cheesy

I'm going to quote you guys on that when we're making hero7 & hero8 and see what your opinions are then  Tongue  
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 10:06:56 PM by Pwincess » Logged
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2005, 05:29:19 PM »

That's a good idea, Swift. I always thought the Paladin sword would radiate light or white fire. And if it ignites when danger is near, that'd be cool, too. All you'd have to do is that whenever a monster appears, it switches in appearance from a normal sword to the Paladin sword. Not sure how tough that'd be, though.

Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2005, 06:20:25 AM »

Cool ideas, Corsair.

Does anyone have anymore suggestions for weapons?

ndcent168
Knight

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2005, 06:24:11 AM »

I liked the idea of being able to equip a vairous weapons, but it was poorly done in QG5.  
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2005, 06:25:39 AM »

Agreed. How would you improve on that weapon system in QFG 5 such that it would work nicely in Hero7?

ndcent168
Knight

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2005, 06:55:42 AM »

First, (and I know this sounds stupid) I hated that the hero had his weapon out WHENEVER IT WAS EQUIP.

Second, I hate the concept of "Just keep clicking on it." That's really what combat came down to in QG5.

Third, the spells were so clumbsy that even my Wizard became a Fighter. I had the buffest Wizard that could be imagined, and I'm sure many of you did too.

Fourth, Dodge and Parry need to come into play, along with the timing there of.

Fifth, NO JEDI KNIGHTS LIGHT SABER-LIKE COMBAT. Anyone who's played that series knows how poorly the Light Sabers controled. I would rather have a clickfest than that.

Lastly, we need to zoom in, at least a little. Maybe even have a Dynamic Zoom, like that in Super Smash Brothers.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: