Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Game Development
| | |-+  Future Hero6 Projects (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | | |-+  Weapons System
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Weapons System  (Read 11728 times)
Pwincess
« on: January 12, 2005, 09:59:05 PM »

What should the weapons system be like in Hero7?  What weapons should be used?
ndcent168
Knight

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 09:26:12 PM »

Before I could make any suggestions on this kind of topic, I must first ask what will the interface be like for Hero7. As far as I can gather, the graphics sytems for Hero6 has not been settled on yet.  Some of the demos are using MAD and others are using AGS. I think I've mentioned this before, I think that a new graphics engine should be created for this series.  Something supporting 32-bit color would be nice. I would still suggest and recommend keeping with a 2D system or EXTREMELY simple 3D, but this game will lose many potential fans simply because it is still only VGA.
Pwincess
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 10:20:05 PM »

By the time we begin Hero7 the technology supporting 3D graphics may change considerably.  Though the MAD gaming engine is being used for Hero6, we haven't yet decided whether we're still going to use this engine for Hero7.  I hope that this info helps!
ndcent168
Knight

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 06:20:19 AM »

With as much work as has been put into plot, why doesn't the Hero6 Team choose to use graphics with more than 256 Colors? MAD is already capable of supporting it, so it would just be a matter of recreating the graphics at a higher resolution with a higher color depth.
Pwincess
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 06:31:53 AM »

Considering the amount of time artists have spent designing and creating the current artwork, that isn't a feasible option at this stage.
ndcent168
Knight

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 08:01:27 PM »

I realize it isn't probably reasonable, but I can still dream.... I'm a little frustrated because the information that is posted about the progress and status of Hero6 is rather generic. Even the demos don't say much about the game itself besides that it looks like QG1.

For the combat system, I think it needs to be able to handle multiple enemies at the same time. For example, in QG1, the Goblin Training Grounds is too easy. I find it highly unlikely that the goblins just line up and attack you one by one. They should attack you all at the same time and you have to decide which one to attack first.

Also, we cannot neglect the Parry and Dodge elements. QG4 seemed to neglect the Dodge ability and QG5 ignored Dodge and Parry.

The best thing I could think of would be to zoom in, but still keep a 3D-like look. Also restrict movement to only a small circle, basically for dodging. The enclusion of the Bow would mean that we would have to keep enough range visible to make it as useful as a sword. The mouse could be used to choose which target to attack and the keyboard for swing, dodge, parry, and spells.
Pwincess
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 09:54:18 PM »

I realize it isn't probably reasonable, but I can still dream.... I'm a little frustrated because the information that is posted about the progress and status of Hero6 is rather generic. Even the demos don't say much about the game itself besides that it looks like QG1.
Hero6 is progressing VERY well and I believe that you would be seriously impressed with the currect version of the alpha!  My jaw still drops every time I see it.  I realise this isn't much help, however I'm sure that you would rather have the programming team continue working on the alpha rather than making a demo (which halts production for a few good months).

Hero6 is larger and far more complex than any game from the QFG series.  We've created an entirely new plot, in a completely different town, with new people to meet, quests to complete, while encountering new monsters, using new spells spells, and getting rid of the evil which has a hold of the valley.

What more could a hero want?   cheesy  
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2005, 01:55:00 AM »

A new girlfriend? Tongue

Jafar
Famous Adventurer

New Age Retro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2005, 01:55:57 AM »

Pizza on demand? Tongue
A sequel? Cheesy  
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 01:56:19 AM by Jafar » Logged

Jarada Knight: The Honorable Marshmallow
ndcent168
Knight

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2005, 05:10:52 AM »

Hero6 is progressing VERY well and I believe that you would be seriously impressed with the currect version of the alpha!  My jaw still drops every time I see it.  I realise this isn't much help, however I'm sure that you would rather have the programming team continue working on the alpha rather than making a demo (which halts production for a few good months).

Hero6 is larger and far more complex than any game from the QFG series.  We've created an entirely new plot, in a completely different town, with new people to meet, quests to complete, while encountering new monsters, using new spells spells, and getting rid of the evil which has a hold of the valley.

What more could a hero want?   cheesy
I, of course, would much rather see the game get finished sooner than see a new demo out. It's just that the news articles and other updates about the status of the progress say so little that they might as well not even be there.

I guess I don't want to take time away from the final development effort, but I wish I knew more about the development status. I really don't know anything specific about it, which makes it very difficult to postulate about the future Hero7 project. I guess I just want to vent about it more than anything.
Pwincess
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2005, 09:58:13 AM »

As you've probably read in the FAQ we don't know exactly when Hero6 will be finished, however as soon as we reach the Beta phase, I'm going to make an immediate announcement!

At the moment I can?t give more information than that? and the fact that it will certainly be worth the wait  Cheesy  
ndcent168
Knight

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2005, 05:33:11 PM »

SEE!!!! You've said NOTHING!!! ARG! You should become a politician...
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2005, 06:17:51 PM »

...it will certainly be worth the wait  Cheesy
Yup, the Alpha demo looks awesome!  

Pwincess
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2005, 09:16:31 PM »

ndcent168, if your that desperate to find out about the game, why don't you join the team so that the game gets finished earlier  Tongue  
ndcent168
Knight

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2005, 09:24:00 PM »

Over the last year, I applied... twice.  I'm well versed in most programming languages and literature. I also had quite a bit of time available for about 8 months. Tongue

Now, however, I am involved in the Linux-NTFS project and it gets all my free time. I just go on the forums here for a break.  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: