Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Game Development
| | |-+  Project Networking (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | | |-+  Indie adventure announcement: A Tale of Two Kingdo
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Indie adventure announcement: A Tale of Two Kingdo  (Read 10531 times)
phats
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2006, 11:31:12 PM »

Smiley  I wasn't writing in literal terms, I was simply trying to come to these poor game maker's defense.  Perhaps comparing automobiles is a bad analogly in this context.

But I know that if I were to make a game that I was pretty proud of, and I saw people making unauthorized sequel/prequels on it, I'd be a little perturbed.  Sure, it's flattering that someone else is imitating my work, but that's my brainchild they're messing with!  People always screw it up.  It's like these Starwars spinoff's that try to depict Hans Solo as gay and he ends up marrying the wookie.  Obsurd!  Don't modify the story if it ain't yours to modify, I say!  I mean, I'm sitting here watching star wars, and all I can think of is that Hans Solo character turning pansy in a few years and eventually settling down with the wookie and opening a clothing store on tatooine!

If I was George, I'd be furious.

Then again, it's fanfiction.  People interested in Hans being a fruit cake is going to love it.  I suppose there's not much wrong with that.  But what if it came out in movie format, and people were watching it as if it was the official sequel?  And, what if George wanted to write a similiar movie in the future (knowing George's "improved" story writing skills, he just might)?  There'd be no point anymore!  And thus, George looses out on potential business from a creation HE OWNS.  The humanity!

Anyway, I like the fangames too.  I just understand the position of these companies.  And I think that I would be equally satisfied if these fangames were unique and told their own story, similar as they might be to a sierra/lucas game.
Radiant
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2006, 12:16:03 AM »

If you were Porsche Inc, and some fanboy in Kansas decided he wanted to make his 2.5 cyl '67 stationwagon look like an authentic porsche, wouldn't you want to stop him?
That's actually a very bad analogy, and as a matter of fact several former Sierra staff members have complimented both AGDI and KQ9 on their sequels, so your claim that game writers don't like people messing with their story rings false.

Do you know TSR, the original publisher of Dungeons & Dragons? They had the same vision of copyright about ten years ago, and stamped down hard on anyone on the internet who dared create their own modules or add-ons for D&D. Hence they became known as T$R, and widely disliked, and eventually went bankrupt and got taken over by WOTC, who has the opposite philosophy and created the "open game" license. There's probably a moral in that story.

pha5
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2006, 07:18:06 PM »

That's actually a very bad analogy, and as a matter of fact several former Sierra staff members have complimented both AGDI and KQ9 on their sequels, so your claim that game writers don't like people messing with their story rings false.

HA!  shows what you know.  

The creators of Space Quest are so disturbed about it, they refuse to play any space quest fan makings.

Lori and Corey Cole have also publicly said they don't like the idea of other people doing anything with their story.

As for kings quest:  Why would they care?  Afterall, KQ8 certainly showed that the creator's interest were elsewhere...

And I don't think the Porsche analogy was bad if you understood what I was getting at.  But then, not everyone has basic cognitive skills... It seems it is easier for some to over-anaylze things rather than to take it as it's meant.

Besides, my analogy is better than yours.  TSR went bankrupt because of exceptionally poor management decisions in general.  Yeh, they alienating fans. Yeh they were anal with their trademarks.  But what about the many religious groups who called for boycots/burned their material?  Lax stock control? Declining quality of product? etc, etc, etc? With these new factors, the "moral" of your story changes quite a bit, I think.

Anyway, I can argue that intellectual property NEEDS to be protected until I am blue in the face.  The fact that we all like fan games make it hard for most people to accept it.  
lazygamer
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2006, 09:48:40 AM »

The creators of Space Quest are so disturbed about it, they refuse to play any space quest fan makings.

Lori and Corey Cole have also publicly said they don't like the idea of other people doing anything with their story.

Well this is news to me. Would you be able to provide any links to interviews where they state this? It's not that I don't believe you, I'm just kind of shocked that the SQ and QFG creators aren't interested in their stories living on. Actually the idea of the SQ creators being disgusted at the SQ fangames disgusts me. They should at least try out the SQ fan games, then decide.

As for kings quest: Why would they care? Afterall, KQ8 certainly showed that the creator's interest were elsewhere...

I don't know why it was made the way it was. I'm guessing that Roberta Williams wanted to make KQ8 like a normal Kings Quest, but was afraid traditional adventures were dying, so she made a 3d action/adventure game.

And I don't think the Porsche analogy was bad if you understood what I was getting at. But then, not everyone has basic cognitive skills... It seems it is easier for some to over-anaylze things rather than to take it as it's meant.

I see the point of the analogy, but the analogy is still flawed. The companies that own the rights to these adventures show no interest in continuing them. They aren't even interested in traditional adventures anymore. Heck alot of people don't even care about these old adventure game series. Whereas Porsches are still being produced and are still very popular.

Anyway, I can argue that intellectual property NEEDS to be protected until I am blue in the face. The fact that we all like fan games make it hard for most people to accept

There is nothing wrong with a company protecting it's intellectual property. I just wish they'd only go after the very serious cases.

But I know that if I were to make a game that I was pretty proud of, and I saw people making unauthorized sequel/prequels on it, I'd be a little perturbed. Sure, it's flattering that someone else is imitating my work, but that's my brainchild they're messing with! People always screw it up

What if the fans actually made a decent sequel/prequel, would you still be perturbed?
What if your didn't own the rights to your story and knew that you'd probably never get a chance to continue it?

If you were Porsche Inc, and some fanboy in Kansas decided he wanted to make his 2.5 cyl '67 stationwagon look like an authentic porsche, wouldn't you want to stop him? I mean, everyone will see his crappy-ass stationwagon and think porsche is responsible. To put it into context: If people could somehow clone this stationwagon for free, eventually there'd be enough crappy-ass faux porsche's on the streets, that porsche's reputation as a high-end auto manufacturer would be tarnished.

Let's take the analogy one step further and say that the crappy stationwagon that looks like a Porsche has big writing on it that says "DISCLAIMER: This is not a real porsche". That's how fangames are, it's blatantly obvious that they are not official games.  So how reputation gets damaged is beyond me. Besides, if they think a released fangame is a shoddy piece of crap, they're free to take it out before reputation gets damaged. They shouldn't assume that every fangame will make the brand look bad. In fact fangames could increase interest in the series(if they're made right).

Q: When will it be released?
A: When it is done.

-Lazygamer on fangame cliches
nikolas
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2006, 01:43:37 PM »

Well anyways... For music and cover tracks (tracks that are made, not from the orinigal artist but other most usually worst bands), there is a good reason for that. And mainly that amatuer music productions are simply...bad... comparing to the multi million dollar industry tracks. And so any attempt to redo for example 'Creep' by Radiohead, would probably be a negative advertisment for the original.

It's not that hard to understand.

I have to copyrights and I don't want you to do anything about it. Period! It does make sense really.
Radiant
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2006, 02:11:20 PM »

HA!  shows what you know.  
But then, not everyone has basic cognitive skills...
Besides, my analogy is better than yours.
WHBT WHL WSHAND.

Jigen
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2006, 01:28:50 AM »

[HA!  shows what you know.  

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought Lori and Corey became aware of Hero6 a looooong way back and made no negative comment about it.

Set a match alight, and a man will be warm for a minute.
Set a man on fire and he\'ll be warm the rest of his life.
lazygamer
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2006, 03:57:03 AM »

True, but Hero6 is not a QFG sequel, it's QFG inspired.

Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2006, 10:58:18 AM »

Lori and Corey cole encouraged the Hero 6 team.

One day I will bring peace to the world with my invincible Army of Mice

Jigen
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2006, 01:04:43 PM »

Interesting...

lazygamer
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2006, 01:31:25 PM »

Mark Crowe Interview

Josh Mandel is currently involved with an unofficial fan-made Space Quest 7. How do you feel about fan-made sequels to commercial series?

I think it's great! Anything that keeps people's interest up in SQ or adventure games in general is a good thing in my mind. This also is a great way to send a message to publishers—people want an SQ title so bad their willing to create one themselves. I take it as a wonderful compliment. Josh is a great guy and I completely trust whatever he does to be true to the Spirit of Space Quest.

Mark Crowe doesn't sound very distrubed to me...

phats
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2006, 10:04:48 PM »

ARggh!!  I can't find the quote anymore regarding Space Quest fangames...  I searched *forever* for it too!

I thought it was on a fangame site.  Like, I remember everyone wondering what Mark/Scott thought about the game... and they got a reponse saying how they (Scott?) never played fangames because he prefered to see Roger depicted properly...

I guess you'll just have to take my word for it.  If someone can find this quote, I'd be most impressed.  Given Lazygamers find, it might have been Scott Murphy who said it.

I also wish I had the quote from Lori about it.  I rember her saying that she was glad hero6 decided to make their game unique, as she had her own plans for quest for glory.

also, what does "WHBT WHL WSHAND" mean?  It sounds like some sort of voodoo curse or something!  *gulp*  I didn't mean anything, I swear!!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 10:07:46 PM by PHattiE » Logged
Jigen
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2006, 04:26:34 AM »

and they got a reponse saying how they (Scott?) never played fangames because he prefered to see Roger depicted properly...

Well that's a weird thing to say anywayz, the canon Roger isn't very consistent himself. One game he's all laser-blasting and space piloting and the next he's  bumbling but strangely competent when the player takes control.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: