Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Game Development
| | |-+  Project Networking (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | | |-+  Indie adventure announcement: A Tale of Two Kingdo
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Indie adventure announcement: A Tale of Two Kingdo  (Read 10532 times)
Radiant
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2006, 05:03:42 PM »

I don't watch the Simpsons religiously.
Infidel Smiley

(or, should I say, Calvinist?)

phats
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2006, 06:59:26 PM »

I disagree with you about Destiny, checking the member roster for Destiny I see 9 artists and 3 plot members. So even having a swarm of artists can't gurantee survival. Smiley
Hey, looking pretty good Radiant.  I look forward to playing the game.

The project lead of Destiny (Roman Zaenom, or RZ) used to be hero6's old plot admin.  Destiny was appealing at first because it broke out of the outdated resolution and style hero6 uses.  Plus, RZ managed to recruit some excellent tallent (mostly veteran hero6 members).  This tallent was in ALL departments too-- excellent musicians, programmers, and definately excellent artists)

RZ purposely made sure that he was the sole person in charge of plot.  He pretty much wrote the whole thing by himself before the project even came together.  He had some pretty clever things in it, but in the end it was my opinion (and perhaps the opinion of the other team members), that the game design was heavily flawed.

I think RZ could write a decent novel, but a game designer he isn't.  I started to think the game would be a complete bore to play.  He talked about only having 5 forest screens, and 4 town scenes.  Not exactly emmersive.  I was also a little perturbed that RZ released almost all of destiny's material on the visitors section of the website.  It was like we had shown off everything already.

I think it'd be pretty cool (and I might talk to some of the project leaders about this) to take all the material from all of the failed projects, and combine them to make one single game.  I know SFLAH has some art that went unused.  I bet we could piece something together pretty quickly with all of it.  The styles might conflict slightly, but there are some tricks to pulling it off....

lazygamer
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2006, 04:14:38 AM »

Interesting to hear another opinion on Destiny. The story summary seemed very intriguing to me, which is why I was quite interested in Destiny, not so much the art and class system.

I think RZ could write a decent novel, but a game designer he isn't. I started to think the game would be a complete bore to play. He talked about only having 5 forest screens, and 4 town scenes. Not exactly emmersive. I was also a little perturbed that RZ released almost all of destiny's material on the visitors section of the website. It was like we had shown off everything already.

Only 5 forest screens and 4 town scenes?! Destiny was going to be bigger than that right? I mean there is what looks to be a map of the first part of Destiny on that site, and it looks alot bigger than 9 screens.

think it'd be pretty cool (and I might talk to some of the project leaders about this) to take all the material from all of the failed projects, and combine them to make one single game. I know SFLAH has some art that went unused. I bet we could piece something together pretty quickly with all of it. The styles might conflict slightly, but there are some tricks to pulling it off....

There is just SFLAH and Destiny to draw from right? Would that be enough art to make one game?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 04:14:56 AM by lazygamer » Logged

Q: When will it be released?
A: When it is done.

-Lazygamer on fangame cliches
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2006, 10:03:17 AM »

Yeah, we already did that, it was called Hero of Infamous Adventures, and it did not look good. Though, for an April Fools Day joke, it was good.

Radiant
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2006, 12:33:29 PM »

I think it'd be pretty cool (and I might talk to some of the project leaders about this) to take all the material from all of the failed projects, and combine them to make one single game.

I would be interested in reading that Destiny story you mention, where do I find it? Obviously the word doesn't google much Smiley

There are quite a number of cancelled game projects that have had art, animation and music drawn for them (see here). It would be cool if people would release that for public usage, and there's definitely enough to create a game from that (I'd estimate it'd be low in the sprite department, though). Sure, the styles would clash a bit, but most people enjoyed QFG4.5 in spite of that.

I guess the trick would be in finding all those old artists, and maybe convincing the people in charge that their project really is cancelled, because some projects drag on for years without making any progress. But it would be nice for the artists to know their art actually goes some place visible.

Last year's Hero of Infamous Kingdoms wasn't like that, of course, it used art from ongoing game projects to promote them, and not all of that art was complete yet. And it was a joke, after all.

Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2006, 05:42:10 PM »

Whatever. Kingdoms, Adventures, it's all the same, really.

Jigen
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2006, 12:55:19 PM »

Uh... Corsair, the dictionary would disagree with you on that one.

Set a match alight, and a man will be warm for a minute.
Set a man on fire and he\'ll be warm the rest of his life.
lazygamer
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2006, 02:55:38 AM »

I would be interested in reading that Destiny story you mention, where do I find it? Obviously the word doesn't google much

http://bbe-online.com/diary.htm

Of course no fangame will fully explain their story before completion of their game(Destiny is no exception), what was posted about Destiny's plot seemed interesting to me.

Sure, the styles would clash a bit, but most people enjoyed QFG4.5 in spite of that.

Good point, QFG 4.5 was fun(for some of us) even with all that ripped art and clashing styles.

Some of the games you mentioned in that AGS thread may not be dead, just extremely tardy with site updates. That being said, most of them are cause for concern. Some of those projects I haven't even heard of!

Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2006, 04:11:12 PM »

[Content edited by Ianfe]
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 06:39:33 PM by Ianfe » Logged

Ianfe
Music Admin
Hero

Stop the madness!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2006, 06:39:44 PM »

Corsair, you'd best find a way to rephrase this comment or change it altogether. What you originally wrote was NOT Kosher

Crunchy on the outside...
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2006, 09:53:51 AM »

Does anyone know what happened to the site?

Fizzii
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2006, 09:56:57 AM »

At first I thought the site had run out of bandwidth, but looking at it again I realise that it says the domain name expired March 20. But the site should be back before long. Smiley
phats
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2006, 05:23:10 PM »

I just wanted to correct myself regarding destiny and RZs skills as a designer.  I logged into the project site yesterday.  (I think I was the first person to login in almost 3 years!)  All the content is still intact, so I decided to look through the material.  There are two maps for destiny, with a total of 82 screens.

I believe that RZ cut that down considerably.  I think he knew the project was about to crash, so he wanted to release a demo/first installment with only a dozen backgrounds or so.  Turns out the team made about 16 backgrounds, 11 dialogue portraits, and a bunch of sprites.  It actually progressed very nicely for a bit, and then we ran out of sprite artists (Gronagor was the lead for sprites, but he resigned), so RZ put the project on hold until he could find more.   3 years later, and I'm guessing he still hasn't found any.

Hosting for destiny expires:  31-Oct-2006.  I am tempted to do a backup..  Some of those backgrounds really are pretty good-- especially in comparison to any of the fan projects in development right now.
lazygamer
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2006, 07:10:26 AM »

Guess it's a good thing I jogged your memory eh? Can't have that art being lost.

I guess Destiny truly is dead, RIP Destiny. Sad  
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 07:14:14 AM by lazygamer » Logged

Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2006, 08:34:57 PM »

*Begins funeral dirge*

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »