Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Game Development
| | |-+  Game Development Discussion (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | | |-+  2D VS 3D
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2D VS 3D  (Read 9299 times)
Raito
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2005, 06:22:29 AM »

To me, 2d and 3d are often both attempts at realism. The old masters often used oils, techniques, etc., in order to induce realism into their paintings. To all naysayers, remember this: art is always about re-defining standards, improving your abilities and challenging the conventions. That is what creativity is about, isn't it?

Many of the old masters were often criticised and attacked for attempting to imitate realism(which was considered untraditional), just like many artists these days are accused of being untraditional for embracing 3d.

If 3d does look inferior, it is because this genre is quite new as opposed to 2d, which has been in existence since pre-historic times(during the caveman days).

Also, quite a few movies use matte painting(a technique that uses both 2d and 3d to create realistic imagery) combined with live action, to provide footage. So, if you don't like 3d, you're better off not watching movies 'cos matte painting is widely used these days. Tongue Oh and who can forget commercials? Tongue

An example of a master artist(yes, he deserves the title) who has an amazing ability for 2d, 3d, and matte painting is Craig Mullins. http://www.goodbrush.com

References from http://www.cgchannel.com/news/viewfeature.jsp?newsid=3975
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2005, 05:40:17 PM »

You're a real linking machine, Yuriboy...Girl...it.

Raito
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2005, 02:42:47 AM »

Pardon? What do you mean by that? I only pasted 2 links there. Is there something you see that I don't?  huh  
Ignus_Draconus
Famous Adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2005, 02:45:49 AM »

I think that he's referring to the fact that your posts have an actual point and topic. they've been short around here for a couple of months.

c/dos
c/dos/run
Raito
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2005, 03:47:19 AM »

Anyway, going slightly off-text, I don't see anything too wrong with action games. Sure, some of them might be kind of violent but some adventure games are just as violent too(as if slashing someone/something with a sword does not hurt... duh!) no matter how much the game talks about honour and peace and such.

And who can forget books, many of which promote violence and racism and other nefarious thoughts(hint: Mein Kampf, anti-Semitism propaganda, etc.)? If ,say, you handed a book about war/murder/genoicide to anyone who has a wild imagination and ability to "translate" textual into visual, I can assure you that the results would not be very appealing. In fact, who can forget our good ol' nursery rhymes, eh? Many of them talked about death, the plague, and other unsavoury matters.

And, going back onto 3d and 2d, I'd say that I enjoy both. Both of them have their own styles and ways of speaking to the viewers. After all, one should be open-minded.

To those who dislike digitalised images, I'd like to emphasize that animation IS computer-generated. Quite a few 2d images are also touched up in Photoshop/other image softwares due to factors like degradation of colours when scanning, anatomy needs to be fixed, etc. In fact, the first original QFG1 game was drawn using computers, no?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 03:48:32 AM by yuri » Logged
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2005, 04:55:29 AM »

Let's face it. How many really fun games have you played that there wasn't violence or at least a potential for violence? All the "Quest" games had it. Almost all RPGS, Action Games, Strategy Games, Adventure Games, Shooters..about the only games I can think of off the top of my head that are purely non-violence are Educational games. Though, then again, in some cases, Shooters are educational. They teach us what happens when you shoot something.

Jafar
Famous Adventurer

New Age Retro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2005, 04:49:48 AM »

How many really fun games have you played that there wasn't violence or at least a potential for violence?
Puzzle games.... whatever  

Jarada Knight: The Honorable Marshmallow
pyro
Knight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2005, 05:22:17 AM »

Puzzle games? you try doing a rubiks cube and tell me that doesn't involve violence.

unfortunately my blanket burned up in the sheer heat that is Pyro leaving me exposed to the untold terror's that is the internet
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2005, 05:41:43 AM »

No kidding.

Besides, that depends on what kind of "Puzzle Games" You're referring to. A lot of Adventure Games could be considered puzzle games.

Jafar
Famous Adventurer

New Age Retro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2005, 05:46:16 AM »

Well, I was thinking Tetris style games.

Jarada Knight: The Honorable Marshmallow
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2005, 05:53:22 AM »

Tetris came in at the dawn of time. It is no longer a game, it is simply an overdone series. They need a new idea.

pyro
Knight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2005, 06:00:02 AM »

Huh I've got it they need bombs to clear sections of bricks, oh wait that would be violent never mind.

unfortunately my blanket burned up in the sheer heat that is Pyro leaving me exposed to the untold terror's that is the internet
Ignus_Draconus
Famous Adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2005, 05:59:29 PM »

don't they have one of those as well?

c/dos
c/dos/run
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2005, 04:20:37 AM »

I think so.

Jigen
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2005, 03:29:09 PM »

This may have been mentioned before, but one of the chief advantages to producing more games in 3D graphics is that you can have alternate costumes and the like for your characters, because all you have to make is the model and you can use the same animation between the different models. Whereas in the 2D games your guys are making at the moment If a character gets a new outfit the animator has to reanimate every step all over again.

Set a match alight, and a man will be warm for a minute.
Set a man on fire and he\'ll be warm the rest of his life.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: