Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Game Development
| | |-+  Game Development Discussion (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | | |-+  Mad Adventure Game engine
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mad Adventure Game engine  (Read 6416 times)
Tyr
Initiate

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2006, 01:27:04 PM »

Hello,

I had a questions reference the Mad game engine, I stopped by http://mad-project.sourceforge.net/
I was going to download it for something to play around with during my spare time, however I noticed that the last update
is from 2003, and the forums do not appear to be working in any way, shape, or form. so I thought I'd check here to see if
anyone has an idea what is going on with the game engine, since to my knowledge hero6 is the only game using it.

Have there been no further updates on the project since 2003?

--tyr
AsianMusicGuy
Initiate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 09:39:58 PM »

The mad engine as far as i know is no longer updated.

Hero6 Mangement Aid
lazygamer
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 05:31:47 AM »

I suppose that means H6 is using AGS then?

Q: When will it be released?
A: When it is done.

-Lazygamer on fangame cliches
Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 10:19:41 AM »

Hero6 is still using MAD and it is still being updated as far as I know.

One day I will bring peace to the world with my invincible Army of Mice

lazygamer
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 01:53:26 AM »

The MAD site still gives the impression that it is not being updated. Smiley

Q: When will it be released?
A: When it is done.

-Lazygamer on fangame cliches
Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 07:05:30 PM »

Well, I'm talking about the actual engine. But I'm not really qualified to talk about it. Tongue

I remember Daemious talking about stuff he was meaning to implement.

One day I will bring peace to the world with my invincible Army of Mice

Darkseed
Programming Team
Squire

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 02:59:36 AM »

I had the same doubt when I met Hero6 project. Daemious, please correct me if I'm wrong. The last MAD version isn't at sourceforge, the engine had alterations since 2003, but the newer versions are kept just to Hero6 team. I guess a version will be released when the engine is completed and without bugs.

Regards
fiammybe
Initiate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 10:22:23 AM »

Hello,

I'm currently trying to get the MAD engine working on Linux, and frankly have considered asking Sourceforge to let me take over the project, as I didn't get any response from the project managers listed on Sourceforge. 
I would like to extend and rework the current engine, and I'm working on an extensive tutorial, based on the work I do for a small game. I don't know if I could be added to the Sourceforge project as contributor or so, just to get that project back on track.
I read here that there is work done on the engine, which is sadly not available on SF.NET. Are there any plans, or would you consider passing the sourceforge project over to someone else? I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks
PHattiE
Administrator
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 09:15:34 PM »

I will try to get in touch with daemious about this.  Isn't MAD the only opensource adventure game engine?  It'd be great to get some interest in the engine again outside of this project.

fiammybe
Initiate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 09:38:44 AM »

Thanks. It would be really nice to work something out with MAD. I'm writing a tutorial, but I'm currently looking for an artist to have a tutorial with top notch graphics :-)
Second
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 03:50:25 PM »

I will try to get in touch with daemious about this.  Isn't MAD the only opensource adventure game engine?  It'd be great to get some interest in the engine again outside of this project.

That would be an amazing way of both generating public interest and feedback about the engine's capabilities.
daemious
Programming Admin
Knight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 04:13:03 AM »

There have been tons of changes to mad since the last release on sf.net ...
fiammybe
Initiate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 08:55:49 PM »

that's great to hear, but is there a reason why these changes haven't been published on sf.net? I would be willing to work with someone to build a small community around the MAD engine, who knows what kinds of things will surface?

This wouldn't mean the Hero6 developers wouldn't be the ones deciding in the end what they needed and what's going into their release of MAD when it will be used for Hero6. Just, some progress would be good, as I feel it's a really good engine, which would be a shame to abandon.

Regards,
Outchanter
Music Team
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 08:59:01 PM »

Well, even if development on MAD has slowed, it would make sense to put the latest sources on sourceforge...

Ye find yeself in yon dungeon. Ye see a flask.

What wouldst thou deau?
Tyr
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2007, 03:11:41 AM »

it seems a shame that I have not been able to follow progress on this thread do to events that have been out of my control Sad

However in a way I'm glad that I have been able to spark some interest in this engine. From my experience it's quite solid and I'm
sure the additions the team here has made have improved it that much more, And yes as far as I can tell MAD is the ONLY open
source engine of it's kind cept for the release of the "new" (May 06) "SCI studio VGA" which is an extremely buggy release and would take
quite some time to get running and stable. Although I'm sure there are people out there and working on it, and yes I agree that the latest
release should be on SF.net. However at the same time if most of the modifications done for/by the hero6 team to the MAD engine are
requirements solely for the upcoming game then it would not make sense for the version which hero6 is using to be released on SF as it
is meant to be a as far as I can tell a generic adventure game engine. being something that you can make a KQ/QFG/Lucas arts style game
with it. Should the release be done by the hero6 team that would take away from what the engine is supposed to be, and would therefore
be turned into a "make a hero6" style game.

I do have a "manual" so to speak which is more up to date (for 2.0) which I have written. Although as per my opening statement will take me
a little bit to track down. If someone would like a copy (and it is not complete by any means) in order to promote use of the engine I will gladly
share what I have found out please feel free to contact me.

anyways I suppose that's enough ranting for now.

Cheers,

--Tyr
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: