Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Offtopic Mayhem (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | |-+  King's Quest 8 remake
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: King's Quest 8 remake  (Read 3765 times)
John
Initiate

View Profile
« on: September 14, 2008, 03:58:39 AM »

Hi all i thought you would like to know about a King's Quest 8 remake that is being made that i read about. Here is the link http://www.kq8project.9f.com/cgi-bin/blog

John
Paladin0707077
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 12:06:26 AM »

Cool! The site appears to just be their blog, though, with no real details.

Here's their forum

I'm sure that has more info. Looks new, though, so I have no idea if it'll catch on.

Have you posted this in the KQ9 forum, as well?

The Paladin: To seek, To learn, To do.
-quest board in QFG2

If I ever feel too down or over-inflated, all I have to do is remember one of two things: to the right of me, in some dimension, I am a king; to the left of me, in another dimension, I am a hanged man.
-ME!
Sirus
Squire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 09:46:20 PM »

Actually, it doesn't look like much is done whatsoever. He posted on the AGS forums too.

My favorite part is the 'character animation' based on Roger painted brown.

~Trent

Current Project:Hero of the Rune My QFG Fangame!
Current Status: Working on plot and a design document before getting in over my head.
Paladin0707077
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 04:06:30 AM »

lol

Oh well, here's hoping someone with talent DOES make a remake. KQ8 had a lot of potential as a KQ game. So you don't play as Graham, so what? You didn't technically play one in KQ3 until about halfway through the game. Until then, you were just "Gwendolyn". Besides, with his kids gone, Daventry NEEDS a successor to the throne worthy of it, and Connor is pretty much going through the same type of trials as Graham did, so the kingdom can be SURE of this guy's skill, and ability to do what needs to be done later.

As for Connor speaking in "Middle English", the only common people from Daventry you ever get to talk to "spoke" back in the days of text-parsing. So for all we know, all the commoners DO have that accent, and it's just Graham and the royal family who speak in "Modern English" - sort of a reversal on the accents used in Britain, I think. If you want to complain that Graham was a commoner before taking the crown, I would disagree: he was a Knight of the realm (Knight Captain if you take some unofficial accounts into consideration). Knights MUST have noble blood in their veins, and are usually given similar education to other nobles along with their combat training. So he has the nobility's accent.

I think the biggest disappointment to the Sierra game - aside from the game-killing bugs - was that killing was permitted. If whoever makes the game over can just fix the bugs and take the combat out and perhaps beef up the puzzles to compensate, then the game would be very much palatable to me as a proper King's Quest game.

-quest board in QFG2

If I ever feel too down or over-inflated, all I have to do is remember one of two things: to the right of me, in some dimension, I am a king; to the left of me, in another dimension, I am a hanged man.
-ME!
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 10:06:04 AM »

No, the biggest flaw of that game was the camera perspective, the wretched voice acting, the terrible combat system, the mediocre plotline, the bad writing, and the fact that it was a completely different genre. The presence of killing was not the debilitating flaw of that game.

Paladin0707077
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 03:21:32 AM »

I was WONDERING if someone would take the bait... Grin

Actually, I think the plot had some potential to it. Daventry's been turned to stone when an artifact is removed and destroyed, and it's up to Conner to get the pieces of the artifact back and save the day. Looking back at the days of Kings Quest I and II, a whole lot could be done revolving around that premise. The King's Quest II Remake proves that: what started as a simple "You are lonely and want a girl, and that's all the story you need" game had the story reworked to near epic proportions. If it can be done with that, then number 8 is ripe for the remaking. The bugs, combat, and other technical details can be thrown out with the remake anyway; after all, you'd be making the game into an adventure game proper, and creating your own artwork and such, so not a lot would be left over.

But as to your original point; perhaps your closer to it then I am, but I think we're both right in a way: the big problem is that they took King's Quest and changed it into something they shouldn't have. I think that - bugs aside - a lot of fans might have accepted the graphics and plotline if it was an adventure game with more interesting puzzles. But the combat caused way too many problems, what with the bugs, the sluggishness of control, and the vague feeling of stupidity to it.

-quest board in QFG2

-ME!
tombom
Initiate

King's Quest 8 is my 2nd life

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 02:19:13 AM »

Hey everyone! Cool  I am the lead developer of the game, also known as Tommy, Tom, tombom, tombom62, atec123, Lorem ipsum, 1234567890, ____t_b62626)__ and a few others Cheesy So, I am suggesting that you take a look at our forum.  it has  got lots of good info and stuff in there.  And,

Have you posted this in the KQ9 forum, as well?
Yes, he did post in a number of forums, I posted in one, and I think he then got excited about it.  It's in beginning stages of development, so it's not huge yet, but I will come through with this!

I would love to answer ANY questions, both here, and the forums, so shoot!

thanks,
tombom Cool

bats=bugs
Paladin0707077
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 03:37:31 AM »

Cool! Nice to see someone's willing to start it up.

The pic at the top reminds me of Malicia's house from VII.

-quest board in QFG2

-ME!
tombom
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 04:32:24 PM »

What pic?  And we now have a new forum, it's SMF:
http://kq8project.tk/

bats=bugs
Paladin0707077
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 02:56:39 PM »

Cool! Nice setup!

There was a screenshot at the very top of the page on the 6th when I checked your site again. That's what I was referring to.

-quest board in QFG2

-ME!
tombom
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 12:50:57 PM »

OH, that was a sketch.

bats=bugs
Paladin0707077
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 12:07:30 AM »

I know, but it was still pretty cool. Maybe a hint of a blast from the past...?

-quest board in QFG2

-ME!
daryyy
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 11:38:13 AM »

I agree with u! My favorite part is the 'character animation' based on Roger painted brown.
seraphinastarfire
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 09:05:16 PM »

I had an idea for a fan fiction story of a KQ8 remake. A totally better plot, going into detail, with stuff from KQ history, tying up lose ends. Perhaps I could join the project as a writer, I draw as well, I could also draw costume design .
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: