Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Offtopic Mayhem (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | |-+  The Offtopic Hero Hall
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 80 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Offtopic Hero Hall  (Read 153354 times)
Striker
Programming Team
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #900 on: March 19, 2005, 01:50:44 AM »

I'm advocating acting responsibly. Obviously, you don't seem to be able to make the destinction. Any activity is good activity, right?

And yet, at the same time, you see it as *our* responsibility to assert control over the forums, something that, frankly, is *your* job. You had repeated chances to address the issue through warnings, but continued to ignore it until you got angry at those who dared complain.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 01:52:29 AM by Striker » Logged
Pwincess
« Reply #901 on: March 19, 2005, 01:53:12 AM »

LOL!  My job is to moderate the forums and to update the visitor site.  My job isn't to entertain everybody 24/7.

Btw, I'm not angry with those who complained... where on earth did you get that idea?

Quote: And yet, at the same time, you see it as *our* responsibility to assert control over the forums, something that, frankly, is *your* job

Are you telling me that you guys are little kids that need to be moderated 27/4 so that you behave?  I personally believe that people can control their own actions and so far none of the forum rules have been broken.  If the issue is spam, well I have to say that we've had worse spam on the old forums.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 01:56:50 AM by Pwincess » Logged
Striker
Programming Team
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #902 on: March 19, 2005, 02:19:44 AM »

Who ever said it was your job to entertain everyone?  I'm not sure where you got this expectation from.

Are you telling me that you guys are little kids that need to be moderated 27/4 so that you behave?

You're again taking something to an extreme, 24/7 vigilance isn't what's needed. Some use of your possition of authority is.

I personally believe that people can control their own actions and so far none of the forum rules have been broken.

Yes, but you can set the tone and expecations for the forum.  You have made it abundantly clear (till just recently) that a steady stream of chit chat and spam is encouraged.
Pwincess
« Reply #903 on: March 19, 2005, 02:27:13 AM »

Striker, when you have some time,  message me so that we can discuss this issue.
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #904 on: March 19, 2005, 04:34:17 PM »

...Okay, that sounds like a six year old kid having an obstinate arguement with his mom. Cheesy Striker, Pwincess has a life, I think. Maybe. I dunno, I live halfway across this planet from her. But she probably has a boyfriend, friends, job, school, whatever. Give her a break.

Ignus_Draconus
Famous Adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #905 on: March 19, 2005, 05:22:16 PM »

an what would you have her do about the spam issue? delete every post that could be veiwed as off-topic? for that amount of effort you might as well just erase the boards.

c/dos
c/dos/run
Striker
Programming Team
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: March 19, 2005, 06:01:44 PM »

an what would you have her do about the spam issue? delete every post that could be veiwed as off-topic? for that amount of effort you might as well just erase the boards.

Seriously, Ignus, as I thought you would have noticed, jumping to an extreme conclusion of my position contributes nothing to this discussion. The "I don't watch the forums 24/7" is a fluff argument.  Mods have more than just banning and deleting powers, their words carry weight. She used her influence irresponsibly by encouraging the current behavior and that's what I'm addressing.
Brassfire
Music Admin
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #907 on: March 19, 2005, 06:05:42 PM »

the wierdest part has to be when current spammers are complaining about the spam
You know it's REALLY bad when...

Seriously, it is driving people away from the boards, and one of the main spammers is also concerned about the sheer volume of spam. (I only came back because of the RPS chats, definitely not for the scintillating conversation on the forums...) You don't find anything the least bit odd about that? It's too much spam even for SPAMMERS??

It's not even the spam that's the problem, it's the sheer volume, sheer stupidity and sheer meaninglessness of the spam. 200-300 posts a day of NOTHING does not make a board active and healthy, particularly when any healthy discussions get derailed by the spam.

Maybe you *should* actually be deleting certain posts. Perhaps then people will realize that their behaviour is in fact a problem. If you can't keep up with deleting the posts, that's another sign it's too much. Personally, I think it's time to not tolerate "Mayhem" anymore. It's not fun like this.

Swift has talked to people about the problem, and nobody paid any attention to her about it until she started deleting posts or moving them to other threads. That's a problem, too, as it causes mod burnout.

If admins wish to continue to allow and ENCOURAGE stupidity by not making it clear that *this much* of it will not be tolerated, they may as well kill the forums now. And if talking to the problem posters privately does not make them see how their behaviour is a problem, and does not enable them to come up with solutions to make the forums better for everyone, then you'll have to figure out what to do about that. That's what admins do.

"A dragon is not going to care if you are gay or not. They are going to eat you anyway."
~Brassfire the Mage~
Pwincess
« Reply #908 on: March 19, 2005, 10:04:09 PM »

Brassy, if you have an issue, then again, talk to me about it on msn.  There's are only so many hours in a day and I've had a very hectic semester so far.  I've got 3 40% assignments due in a week, I've taken up a far time job 2-3 days a week, + all the other things in life (such as cooking, cleaning, doing the groceries, paying bills, and keeping my bf amused), and then I come home to a board full of spam.  You guys do realise that there are other admins and moderators on these boards who are supposed to visit these boards regularly and assist with any issues occuring here?

Anyway, after starting the day at 6am and going to bed at 10:30pm each night, and the fact that I barely can find time to wash my hair, I still do as much as possible.  My only regret about the spam issue is the fact that I did not talk to Swift about it earlier so that we could find a solution.  I've so far talked to Jafar about the spam and resolved this issue with him, and I'm still in the process of contacting Corsair via MSN.  This process has taken a while because I'm only home a fer hours each day.

I still hold the opinion that placing out *no spamming* sign doesn't work, and we can see this by the fact that it hasn't worked for the past two weeks.  Obviously there is another solution, and that's talking to member's directly.  Let me guess, everybody want to see the transcripts of the conversations to that they can see me doing my job?   laugh

Striker, I'm still waiting for you to message me back via msn so that we can resolve this issue.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 03:08:26 PM by Swift » Logged
Pwincess
« Reply #909 on: March 19, 2005, 10:37:57 PM »

I've quit as admin and moderator from the visitor forums. Good luck and have fun guys! Thanks for the ride Wink
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 11:52:20 AM by Swift » Logged
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #910 on: March 19, 2005, 11:36:55 PM »

Yeah, NOW look what you've done. Thanks a lot, Striker. This is rich. I swear, If I could reach you right now, Striker, I would slap you like a redheaded stepchild.

Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #911 on: March 20, 2005, 02:49:30 AM »

Corsair, enough. It was because of spam by you and some others that caused this problem to begin with. I actually wanted to take a temporary leave of absence until May because I felt like the only person trying to deal with the spam, and Pwincess has quit because this problem led to other problems. If it weren't for the sheer amount of mindless posts per day, none of us would be having this discussion right now. Please open your eyes and be more responsible about your postings.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 03:23:24 AM by Swift » Logged

Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #912 on: March 20, 2005, 04:52:37 AM »

There are a lot more polite ways to address this than laying it all at Pwincess's feet. I mean, how many Admins and Mods are there? One and One, right? You and Pwincess. And Pwincess resigned. That's a heck of a lot of work for one person. I think maybe you should relegate a bit of power to someone. Someone with a decent head on his or her shoulders.

Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #913 on: March 20, 2005, 05:02:29 AM »

Actually, if you look at the list of admins and moderators, we have quite a number. The problem is that they don't visit the forums as often as we do. You're right about the part where more people should moderate the forums, but I do not have that authority to "relegate power".

Anyway, this is something we're looking into at the moment, so hopefully we'll reach a resolution soon.

Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #914 on: March 20, 2005, 05:52:43 AM »

Meh, you have a bit of pull.

And, when I say Admins and Mods, I mean ones that are regularly around and actually tend to their work.

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 80 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: