Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Offtopic Mayhem (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | |-+  Random Game Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random Game Discussion  (Read 4906 times)
Paladin0707077
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2005, 02:10:22 AM »

laugh

Wow, the topic is starting to get heated.

The Paladin: To seek, To learn, To do.
-quest board in QFG2

If I ever feel too down or over-inflated, all I have to do is remember one of two things: to the right of me, in some dimension, I am a king; to the left of me, in another dimension, I am a hanged man.
-ME!
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2005, 03:49:31 AM »

Shooters are much simpler than Adventure games. Just have a cool death scream and nifty guns, slap on a shoddy, cliche plot and a physics engine, and you have a shooter. Whereas, for a good adventure, you need a good plot, an explanation, and a conclusion. I mean, how good would KQ have been if you just had a couple of people with no real reason, just trying to solve puzzles.

KingWarman8
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2005, 03:10:26 PM »

hey,

Paladin,  I love heated topics. gets me started in a good way  laugh

Yeah, But in Shooters, you got to think to. like in For Example,Spinter Cell,for example, if you  have to get out a guy..... should I use him for a shield,shot him,knock him out, use him for info then do whatever?  Shooters game might be easier and not as complex as in Adventures game, but you still have to use logic for god sake in both games.. People aren't stupid, they just wasn't born with QFG and/ or who had brothers who played it. if my brother was 5 years younger or mabye 10 years younger oe 15 years older, he probably won't be playing QFG when he was a kid, but say if he was yuonger, he would be playing shooter games, like I do. but since he played QFG, I do too... See how it works out??
Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2005, 05:37:54 PM »

I was born in 1987 and played QFG in 2000.

One day I will bring peace to the world with my invincible Army of Mice

Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2005, 08:00:27 PM »

Splinter Cell isn't a shooter. It's a Tactical/Stealth Game. Big difference, buddy.

Paladin0707077
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2005, 04:23:04 AM »

Actually, it all depends on what aspect of the game you're talking about. If you're talking about the game IDEA, then yes, shooters are way more simplistic. If you're talking about actually MAKING the game...well, that's different. It's a lot easier to script everything that's supposed to happen and make it a completely linear experience, then to allow the player complete movement and freedom to go and do what they want. It all depends on what you want out of the game. For plot, memoriable characters, and some creative puzzles, you should go for adventures. For freedom of movement, replayability, and strategization, go for shooters. It all depends on what you're taste is at that time.
That doesn't mean, of course, that those are exclusive to just those two genres. If the game designers really push it, they can include most or all of the other attributes in the one game. And, of course, there are mixed genres, which do all of the above, but not quite as well.
So yeah, different people, with different moods, want different games at different times. ANd be thankfull for the changing times, too. Otherwise we might not have been blessed with games such as The Sims, or C&C, or Half Life. We'd pretty much have ONLY Adventure games (and maybe RPGs).

-quest board in QFG2

If I ever feel too down or over-inflated, all I have to do is remember one of two things: to the right of me, in some dimension, I am a king; to the left of me, in another dimension, I am a hanged man.
-ME!
Ignus_Draconus
Famous Adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2005, 02:40:29 PM »

yes, life would get awful boring without command & conquer.

c/dos
c/dos/run
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2005, 07:27:06 PM »

Bah, C&C is dead. All hail Blizzard, lord of the RTS! And StarCraft, their favored child! And WarCraft, their eldest child!

Diablo is the youngest.

Ignus_Draconus
Famous Adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2005, 09:09:57 PM »

I beg your pardon, C&C is not dead. and their plots are much more interesting than warcraft

c/dos
c/dos/run
lazygamer
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2005, 02:19:33 AM »

Splinter Cell isn't a shooter. It's a Tactical/Stealth Game. Big difference, buddy.
Splinter cell sounds like an advanced shooter(whereas as Doom3 is a simple shooter). I define shooter as a game where the player uses his gun frequently in order to deal with enemies. The player has to use his gun so frequently throughout most areas of the game that it only makes sense to have it readied all the time.

eah, But in Shooters, you got to think to. like in For Example,Spinter Cell,for example, if you have to get out a guy..... should I use him for a shield,shot him,knock him out, use him for info then do whatever? Shooters game might be easier and not as complex as in Adventures game, but you still have to use logic for god sake in both games.. People aren't stupid, they just wasn't born with QFG and/ or who had brothers who played it. if my brother was 5 years younger or mabye 10 years younger oe 15 years older, he probably won't be playing QFG when he was a kid, but say if he was yuonger, he would be playing shooter games, like I do. but since he played QFG, I do too... See how it works out??

Yes in a game like Splinter Cell, but not all shooters are made like Splinter Cell. Some are just in your face mindless action.

Q: When will it be released?
A: When it is done.

-Lazygamer on fangame cliches
Paladin0707077
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2005, 03:31:27 PM »

Yes in a game like Splinter Cell, but not all shooters are made like Splinter Cell. Some are just in your face mindless action.
Can anyone here say "Doom 3"? That's right kids, you all get a gold star!

Seriosuly, I think that games are really just like fassion: eventually, they come around full circle, and what was once passe' becomes all the rage again.

-quest board in QFG2

-ME!
Ignus_Draconus
Famous Adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2005, 06:44:25 PM »

I think the cycle has something to do with what children enjoy while growing up

c/dos
c/dos/run
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2005, 09:27:38 PM »

Command and Conquer Plot: Lets see..how about Red Alert 2.

The Evil Communist Ruskies with their mind control program invade the United States.

Now..Warcraft III story.

The Lich King of Northrend has sent a vile plague that is ravaging the northlands of Lordaeron. Meanwhile, the Demon King, Sargeras, is preparing for a second invasion of Azeroth. And, far in the east, the mysterious Night Elves are gearing for war, waiting for what is to come.

And Splinter cell is no more a shooter than WarCraft is an RPG. Sure, they have some elements, but that isn't what they are at the core.

Paladin0707077
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2005, 01:04:03 AM »

Now it ain't as simple as all that...

-quest board in QFG2

-ME!
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2005, 05:13:40 AM »

Yeah, it is.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: