Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Hero6 Role Playing Stories (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | |-+  RPS Rules n' FAQ
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RPS Rules n' FAQ  (Read 1663 times)
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2005, 03:37:36 PM »

Here is the complete FAQ. If you have any questions that aren't covered here, don't hesitate to ask.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is RPS?

RPS, which stands for Role-playing Story, is where a group of two or more people role-plays a story in the chatroom. The stories are usually created on the spot and everyone is given an opportunity to have a say in what happens next.

What's the setting for this RPS?

It's mainly set in the Quest for Glory world, post-Dragonfire era, but places from other fantasy worlds will be added from time to time so that players are not limited to the few places available in QFG (eg. Daventry, Neverwinter, Tristram, etc). If you haven't played QFG and have little idea what a fantasy world's like, then think 'Lord of the Rings' type of setting, rather than a 'Harry Potter' setting. Which also means no flying cars or anything that's modern.

I am not too familiar with the Quest for Glory games. How do I take part?

It's not necessary to have intimate knowledge of the QFG world in order to RP. You can create a character that's from a foreign land (eg. Durotar  from World of Warcraft) and visiting the Quest for Glory locations for the first time.

Can I create a character that uses spells/abilities from another fantasy world instead of Quest for Glory?

Yes, you are allowed to do that. For instance, Swift uses a combination of WarCraft as well as QFG spells, while Pwincess uses Neverwinter Nights spells.

Are there any restrictions as to what character I can play as?

Yes, there are. God-moders are not allowed to take part.

What do PC, NPC and DM stand for? What are they?

PC stands for Player Characters. These are characters that are created and controlled by players.

NPC stands for Non-Player Characters. These are characters that were created by the Original writers of the fantasy worlds. Characters like Erasmus the Mage, or Baba Yaga are counted as NPCs. Devon Aidendale is counted as an NPC in this RPS. Anyone can control an NPC if the story calls for it.

DM stands for Dungeon Mistress/Master. The DM determines whether an action performed is successful and describes anything that players should take note of.

Can I play as Gandalf/Frodo/Legolas/Merlin/Conan/any famous fantasy character?

You may, but you are strongly encouraged not to. These characters are considered as NPCs, and playing them would require a great deal of experience to handle them well. You might be under pressure to portray them accurately, so it's advisable to control a PC if you're not familiar with role-playing.

Can I post my character details?

Yes, you may post them at this topic.

Can I multiclass?

Yes, you are allowed to do so, but bear in mind that multiclass characters cannot enjoy all the benefits from each of the classes you pick for you character, or the characters will become overpowered. For instance, a Wizard/Thief character may have some skills from both classes, but he cannot be a master of both classes, or it becomes unfair to the other players.

Another thing to remember is that the more classes you merge together, the weaker the classes are separately, so the maximum number of classes you can multiclass to is three.

Also, the class combinations have to make sense. For instance, a character who has both Paladin as well as anti-Paladin abilities is not allowed because the two classes obviously clash.

How do I role-play?

The first thing you need to do is to create a character. Pick your character's race, character class, gender, and where s/he comes from. You don't have to create your character's history, though it could help make it easier for you to role-play.

The next thing you need to decide is your character's personality. Is s/he law-abiding? Honourable? Greedy? Evil? First timers are advised to role-play as good humans from any fantasy location they're familiar with.

Once you've created your character, you're ready to begin role-playing. It's quite easy to role-play, but if you're unsure how to do it, it's best to observe how some of the others handle it first before entering the story. A scenario is usually given near the start of the story. Once you know the scenario, try to find a way to enter in a seamless manner, and react to the story accordingly.

Are there any guidelines that I must follow?

Yes. Please refer to the rules below for the details.

What is God-moding and why isn't it allowed?

God-moding is where a player role-plays as an extremely powerful character. He/she is probably the Chosen One who's invulnerable to many kinds of attacks, and probably has really powerful spells that can wipe out armies in an instant. See where I'm going with this? God-mode characters aren't fun to play with as it kills the challenge. It's ok to play as a flawed or perhaps even a weak character. The fun lies in overcoming your character's limitations in order to solve a problem in the story.

Can I control more than one character?

You can. The maximum number of characters you can control is three. However, the more characters you control, the harder it is to type the right message in the right window, let alone role-play properly. It is best to focus on just one character for now.

Can I play as a villain?

Yes, you may, though it'll be easier to role-play as a good or neutral character as villains tend to be one of the hardest to handle well.

What is plot hogging?

Plot hogging is where one person dominates the story, and disregards suggestions or actions performed by other players. In plot hogging, the plot hogger's characters are either the main heroes, or overpowered villains who cannot be harmed by anyone else but the plot hogger's main heroes.

Plot hogging will not be tolerated.

Are there any examples of this RPS?

Check out the Transcripts Library to read past RPS transcripts.

"I'm not too interested in role-playing" or "I'm not exactly sure how this Role-play works". Can I just watch?

Yes, you're always welcomed to watch.

"I'm interested but I don't think I have the time to commit to the RP. How?" or "What happens if I have to leave halfway?".

It's not uncommon for people to leave halfway through the story. When you do have to leave, check to see if the others plan to continue role-playing. If everyone agrees to stop, the story will be continued the following week. If the rest still want to continue role-playing, you can always create a nice exit scene for your character and rejoin the story when you're free to do so. Here are two examples.

Example 1:

*Jafar is attacked by an evil mage*
*Evil_Mage casts a sleep spell on Jafar, putting him to sleep*
(Jafar has logged out of the chatroom)

Example 2:

Night: Excuse me for a moment, but I've got to join my buddies at the guild.
*Night heads off to the Thieves' Guild*
(LN has logged out of the chatroom)

You do not need to be present for every single session, although it'll be nice if you could. You're free to join whenever you're able to do so.

Will the stories be carried forward to the following week, or is it a new story every week?

The stories will be carried forward to the following week until the players complete the main quest. Once the story has ended, a new one begins the following week.

How long are the sessions expected to last?

About two hours.

Are the stories going to be epic tales, or just simple ones?

There'll be a mixture of both.

I missed the previous session. Will transcripts be posted in the forum?

It's very likely that someone will post the transcripts in the forum. It will probably be done by either a chatroom moderator or another player who logged the chat.

How is combat handled?

When two or more characters engage in combat, players describe the action their characters take, and get to decide if their character successful receives an oncoming blow from the attacker/s. Here's an example:

*A random monster attacks Swift*
Swift: Oof!
*Pwincess casts grasping fist on random monster, and then heals Swift*
*Random monster cannot move*
Random monster: Grrrrrr!
Swift: Thanks! *grips staff tightly* Now it's payback time!
*Swift casts blizzard on random monster*
Pwincess: No worries!
*Pwincess slashes at the monster*
 *Monster dies*

Note: Please do not dodge every single attack that's aimed at your character. You may avoid some, but avoiding every single attack is counted as cheating.

Sometimes, a "Turn-based Combat" system is used instead, though that's rare. In  "Turned-based Combat", everyone gets to perform an action per round. This method is used if there are too many players in one chatroom or if the DM chooses to use this method.

Can I start my own story for the RPS?

Not yet, but we are open to the idea in the future.

Rules

Break any of these rules and you will be banned.

1.   No flaming. Even if you have to role-play an argument with a fellow player, do not go overboard and be offensive, insulting or rude.  

2.   Do not control another player's character unless he/she gives you consent to do so. This includes writing his/her character's history.

3.   Do not commit heinous crimes against other players, such as murder and rape. This is a family forum.

4.   No plot hogging.

5.   No foul language.

The rules might get updated from time to time, so it's best to check this post frequently for any changes.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 01:06:17 PM by Swift » Logged

Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 07:07:06 PM »

FAQ concerning character sheets

I'm confused about creating character sheets. What basic info must I put in my sheet?

Here's a basic list of attributes which should be in any character sheet: name, race, gender, age, character class (or profession), spells/skills, brief description on appearance and brief history

If you want to add in details, you can supply information such as place of birth, current location, equipment, and alignment.

I know nothing about alignments. What are they?

Alignments are just indicators from Advance Dungeons & Dragons (AD&D) that determine your character's ethical and moral attitudes and behavior. It's useful for roleplaying, but not really important. If you're interested in understanding what the different alignments mean, here's the list.

Lawful Good ("Crusader") - These characters follow laws, make plans and care about everyone else. This is the alignment of true heroes. A lawful good character acts as a good person is expected or required to act. He combines a commitment to oppose evil with the discipline to fight relentlessly. He tells the truth, keeps his word, helps those in need, and speaks out against injustice. A lawful good character hates to see the guilty go unpunished. Lawful good combines honor and compassion.

Neutral Good ("Benefactor") - Taking care of people and doing what is right is more important than obeying laws or following rules. These characters or monsters follow good laws, but are willing to break others. A neutral good character does the best that a good person can do. He is devoted to helping others. He works with kings and magistrates but does not feel beholden to them. The common phrase for neutral good is “true good.” Neutral good means doing what is good without bias toward or against order.

Chaotic Good ("Rebel") - These basically good people do not like to be told what to do. They dislike rules, laws, or making any plans. A chaotic good character acts as his conscience directs him with little regard for what others expect of him. He makes his own way, but he's kind and benevolent. He believes in goodness and right but has little use for laws and regulations. He hates it when people try to intimidate others and tell them what to do. He follows his own moral compass, which, although good, may not agree with that of society. Chaotic good combines a good heart with a free spirit.

Lawful Neutral ("Judge") - Rules and laws are more important to these people than the consequences. They always plan ahead. A lawful neutral character acts as law, tradition, or personal code directs him. Order and organization are paramount to he. He may believe in personal order and live by a code or standard, or she may believe in order for all and favor a strong, organized government. The common phrase for lawful neutral is "true lawful". Lawful neutral means you are reliable and honorable without being a zealot.

Neutral ("Undecided") - These people believe that everything must be balanced: good and evil, law and chaos. This is the alignment of animals since they don't care about these things. A neutral character does what seems to be a good idea. He doesn't feel strongly one way or the other when it comes to good vs. evil or law vs. chaos. Most neutrality is a lack of conviction or bias rather than a commitment to neutrality. Such a character thinks of good as better than evil. After all, he would rather have good neighbors and rulers than evil ones. Still, he's not personally committed to upholding good in any abstract or universal way. Some neutral characters, on the other hand, commit themselves philosophically to neutrality. They see good, evil, law, and chaos as prejudices and dangerous enemies. They advocate the middle way of neutrality as the best, most balanced road in the long run. The common phrase for neutral is "true neutral". Neutral means you act naturally, without prejudice or compulsion.

Chaotic Neutral ("Free Spirit") - Chaotic Neutral people make no plans in life. They do what they feel like, sometimes helping others, sometimes being selfish. They ignore rules and plans. A chaotic neutral character follows his whims. He is an individualist first and last. He values his own liberty but doesn't strive to protect others' freedom. He avoids authority, resents restrictions and challenges traditions. The chaotic neutral character does not intentionally disrupt organizations as part of a campaign of anarchy. To do so, he would have to be motivated either by good (and a desire to make those different from himself suffer). The common phrase for chaotic neutral is "true chaotic". Remember that the chaotic neutral character may be unpredictable, but his behavior is not totally random. He is not as likely to jump off a bridge as to cross it. Chaotic neutral represents true freedom both from society's restrictions and from a do-gooder's zeal.

Lawful Evil ("Dominator") - These characters or monsters follow rules and laws, but use them to help themselves and hurt others. They tend to make long-range plans to rule the world, or at least their corner of it. A lawful evil villain methodically takes what he wants within the limits of his code of conduct without regard to whom it hurts. He cares about tradition, loyalty, and order, but not about freedom, dignity, or life. He plays by the rules, but without mercy or compassion. He is comfortable in hierarchy and would like to rule, but he is willing to serve. He condemns others not according to their actions but according to race, religion, homeland, or social rank. He is loath to break laws or promises, partially because of his nature and partly because he depends on order to protect himself from those who oppose him on moral grounds. Some lawful evil villains have particular taboos, such as not killing in cold blood (but have underlings do it) or not letting children come to harm (if it can be helped). They imagine that these compunctions put them above unprincipled villains. Some lawful evil people and creatures are committed to evil with a zeal like that of a crusader committed to good. Beyond being willing to hurt others for their own ends, they take pleasure in spreading evil as an end to undo itself. They may also see doing evil as part of a duty to an evil deity or master. Lawful evil is sometimes called "diabolical" because devils are the epitome of lawful evil. Lawful evil represents methodical, intentional, and frequent successful evil.

Neutral Evil ("Malefactor") - These characters or monsters care only about themselves. They can work with others or by themselves. Plans and rules are only useful as long as they help these people. A neutral evil villain does whatever he can get away with. He is out for himself, pure and simple. He sheds no tears for those he kills, whether for profit, sport, or convenience. He has no love of order and holds no illusion that following laws, traditions, or codes would make her any better or more noble. On the other hand, he doesn't have the restless nature or love of conflict that a chaotic evil villain has. Some neutral evil villains hold up evil as an ideal, committing evil for its own sake. Most often, such villains are devoted to evil deities or secret societies. The common phrase for neutral evil is "true evil". Neutral evil represents pure evil without honor and without variation.

Chaotic Evil ("Destroyer") - Chaotic evil characters or monsters are very selfish. They do whatever they feel like doing even if it hurts somebody else. They rarely make plans. A chaotic evil character does whatever his greed, hatred, and lust for destruction drive him to do. He is hot-tempered, vicious, arbitrarily violent, and unpredictable. If simply out for whatever he can get, he is ruthless and brutal. If he committed to the spread of evil and chaos, he is even worse. Thankfully, his plans are poorly organized. Typically, chaotic evil people can only be made to work together by force, and their leader lasts only as long as he can thwart attempts to topple or assassinate him. Chaotic evil is sometimes called "demonic" because demons are the epitome of chaotic evil. Chaotic Evil represents the destruction not only of beauty and life but of the order on which beauty and life depend.

If you're still unsure of what alignment your character is, and would like to find out, here's a quiz you can try out.

Must I post the spell/skill details?

Only if it's not from the QFG manual.

If you have anymore questions that aren't covered here, don't hesistate to ask in the Discussion topic.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 07:17:04 PM by Swift » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: