Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Hero6 Discussion (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | |-+  Should Hero6 have a voice pack?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should Hero6 have a voice pack?  (Read 11532 times)
Erasmus
Plot Admin
Squire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2005, 12:31:31 AM »

I would love to have voices launch with the release of the game, but it isn't going to happen. Doing voice acting would add many additional months to game creation. You have the following points to consider:

1. There are a lot of NPC's who need voices.--- Not many people can voice act well, its a sad reality. Those who can do voice acting oftentimes can't make their voice change significantly enough to do more than one or two characters. This means we would need to audition, in order to get a good group to work with, hundreds of voice actors. From this list we could narrow it down to those who have voices that could work in game. Generating a base of a couple hundred people willing to do voice acting for free is hard.

2. There is a lot of dialogue.--- each NPC requires pages upon pages of dialogue. To create just a single line of good voice dialogue requires rerecording the same lines at least a dozen times. When I did voice acting for the SSS project, I had appx 8 lines, and it took me a couple days to get them right. And even then, they were not up to the standard I would expect in hero6.

3. Equipment.--- very few people have access to professional recording devices and software. In order to do professional voice acting, you have to be able to use a microphone that costs a couple hundred dollars and use a program that costs twice that. Even if someone had a good voice and would be perfect, they can't pick up a mic at BestBuy and use Windows recording software to record their lines. The lines need to be completely clean.

4. Coordination.--- Normally, if there is dialogue between multiple people, they record them at the same time in the same room, that way they can respond to each other naturally. To try to coordinate, for example, NPC A interrupting NPC B, and having NPC C laugh at them, would be nearly impossible if we wanted to make it sound natural.

I would L-O-V-E to hear voices in hero6. However, If they are done improperly, they could potentially ruin the game. The only way they could be in the game is if we were able to do them to a high standard which would ABSOLUTELY add to the game and in no way detract from it. Sorry guys, I hate to bust your bubbles. This is why we decided long ago that we would only try to add voices later, and only if we could do them well enough to sound professional.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 12:32:11 AM by Erasmus » Logged
Paladin0707077
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2005, 01:47:57 AM »

Well...um...um...

We could travel and meet to do it...wait, not viable for some people...

Well, OK, then how'd KQIX do theirs?

The Paladin: To seek, To learn, To do.
-quest board in QFG2

If I ever feel too down or over-inflated, all I have to do is remember one of two things: to the right of me, in some dimension, I am a king; to the left of me, in another dimension, I am a hanged man.
-ME!
Jafar
Famous Adventurer

New Age Retro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2005, 05:42:03 AM »

IIRC, KQ9 had live auditions for major characters and online auditions for minor ones.

Jarada Knight: The Honorable Marshmallow
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2005, 05:55:52 AM »

Yeah, but we're all scatted 'arfway across the world. I mean, Swift is on the other side of the planet from me. I imagine she's not the only one. We can't really do live auditions without a ton of trouble..not to mention money.

Ignus_Draconus
Famous Adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2005, 08:30:50 PM »

*takes corsair's switchblade*

there will be no killing of robin williams in this forum. or anyone else of major importance.

c/dos
c/dos/run
Erasmus
Plot Admin
Squire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2005, 01:02:20 AM »

I classify under someone of "major importance" right?  Tongue  
Paladin0707077
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2005, 04:09:44 AM »

Well...let's cast a vote on that one and we'll get back to you. Tongue

Seriously, though, there has to be SOME way to do this...I don't believe that we're incapable of making a voice back, even with people scattered all over.

-quest board in QFG2

If I ever feel too down or over-inflated, all I have to do is remember one of two things: to the right of me, in some dimension, I am a king; to the left of me, in another dimension, I am a hanged man.
-ME!
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2005, 07:48:12 AM »

*takes corsair's switchblade*

there will be no killing of robin williams in this forum. or anyone else of major importance.
Oh man. I removed the off-topic posts only to see replies to the deleted posts.

Paladin0707077, let's see how KQ9 handles it for their NPCs first (since those will be by people from around the world, and with non-professional recording equipment).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 07:50:49 AM by Swift » Logged

Ignus_Draconus
Famous Adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2005, 02:30:37 PM »

yeah, let someone else try the minefield to let us see if it's safe. or is that a bad analogy?

c/dos
c/dos/run
Paladin0707077
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2005, 03:22:46 PM »

How about "Let someone else taste the food before the royalty eats"?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 03:23:33 PM by Paladin0707077 » Logged

-quest board in QFG2

-ME!
Erasmus
Plot Admin
Squire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2005, 09:55:14 PM »

Good analogy. Seriously though, if they are able to coordinate this to professional standards, then I'd be very impressed.
Paladin0707077
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2005, 07:53:28 PM »

Well, I suspect they have one thing which we don't have, and that would be "number of people trying out". So they'll probably have a greater chance of finding good stuff due to probability, whereas for us, just about EVERYONE will have to be good. We need to keep that in mind.

-quest board in QFG2

-ME!
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2005, 05:13:12 AM »

Actually, it's not that difficult to get people to audition. All I have to do is to advertise in a number of forums and you'll find a decent group who'll want to try out. Lots of people love to voice-act.

Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2005, 12:08:22 PM »

Yeah. And lots of people love to do a lot of things. The problem is, 80% of them are actually terrible at it. That's the problem.

I suggest we start grabbing people off the street, tying them up, and telling them to say a specific line. If they're good, we record it and let them live. If they're bad..well, I'll just leave it at that.

Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2005, 04:01:55 PM »

You just pulled that figure from nowhere, didn't you? rolleyes

Until you actually hear the people who want to audition, you can't just assume that 80% would suck at it.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: