Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Offtopic Mayhem (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | |-+  Wages of War & Shadows of Darkness
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wages of War & Shadows of Darkness  (Read 4760 times)
lazygamer
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2006, 05:07:11 AM »

Oijl, you have to understand, this site is teetering on the legality scale, and giving you a link to an illegal download is just the kind of thing that could sink this project with a C&D letter. We can't help you get an illegal copy. I'm sorry, but you'll have to ask someone else.

Even without the risk of C&Ds, this site could still be shutdown for having links to illegal software.

Thy keep the rights in case they wish to profit from it in the future, and to prevent others from profiting at their expense. It's also a way to safeguard their reputation, since they don't allow others to make what might be of inferior quality and tarnish their reputation.

Well that's the logical explantion. My cynical explanation is that companies like to horde their copyrights, no matter how insignificant these copyrights have become. Wink

Q: When will it be released?
A: When it is done.

-Lazygamer on fangame cliches
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2006, 07:12:46 AM »

Thanks, Oijl.

Well that's the logical explantion. My cynical explanation is that companies like to horde their copyrights, no matter how insignificant these copyrights have become. Wink

Very true.

Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2006, 09:03:18 AM »

Thy keep the rights in case they wish to profit from it in the future, and to prevent others from profiting at their expense. It's also a way to safeguard their reputation, since they don't allow others to make what might be of inferior quality and tarnish their reputation.

Or seeing how Sierra is long-dead, it could be just about the money.  Wink

One day I will bring peace to the world with my invincible Army of Mice

lazygamer
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2006, 09:55:42 AM »

Or seeing how Sierra is long-dead, it could be just about the money.  Wink

Well that's the funny thing, even if is just about the money, what money is there? Sierra selling collections of their old games would be a drop in the bucket compared to selling modern mainstream titles. They also don't seem to be interested in creating new games off of these old licenses... probably because adventure games aren't high profit titles.

I think a good example of this is KQ9. Vivendi was impressed enough with it to let it survive(it doesn't tarnish reputation at all), they could have made a rule that the finished KQ9 would only be sold by Vivendi and not a free download. They didn't do this, probably because they consider it a niche title.

Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2006, 10:19:12 AM »

Maybe VU will make it into a MMORPG just to squeeze money out of the franchise.

Battle countless monsters in Glorianna! Solve complicated delivery quests and mind-blowing hack 'n slash action. Get caled a "l4m3"r and "ghey" by one of the 100.000 players in this online experience!

Choose one of our 20 classes, including the Paladin, Wizard, Thief, Necromancer, Rogue or even Gnome Jester. Use over 30.000 skills to conquer your adversaries and spare no one.

Coming soon..."Quest for Glory Online: So you want to screw up a perfectly good series for profit alone!"

Give us your money.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 10:25:04 AM by Silverbolt » Logged

Ignus_Draconus
Famous Adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2006, 09:16:33 PM »

oh good heavens no. may that never, Ever, come to pass

c/dos
c/dos/run
Striker
Programming Team
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2006, 10:45:34 PM »

Actually, I think Lori was pushing for something like a QFG MMO back around the QFG5 was released.  At least, I remember her saying something to that effect on the QFG5.com forums way back when.
lazygamer
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2006, 03:22:33 AM »

Well that would of been 1999? People probably weren't as cynical about MMOs back then, and I doubt Lori fully understood the ramifications of a QFG MMO(ie: It'd be alot like Silverbolt described).

Raito
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2006, 07:53:28 AM »

Yes but in those days, MMO was still a very fresh concept. These days, many games support MMO and MMOs are overrun by spoilt kids with parents who can't be bothered to deal with them.
Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2006, 09:50:34 AM »

SELLING RAKEESHS PALADIN SWORD WHISP WITH OFFER PLZ!!1  dry

Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2006, 05:05:26 AM »

R0FL 607 1337 DARGON ARMOR + DRAGIN SLAYR SWD! SIX THOUSAND G SEND TELL!

Ignus_Draconus
Famous Adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2006, 05:40:04 PM »

oh for goodness' sake, stop now before we all go insane.

c/dos
c/dos/run
lazygamer
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2006, 01:38:38 AM »

Yes but in those days, MMO was still a very fresh concept. These days, many games support MMO and MMOs are overrun by spoilt kids with parents who can't be bothered to deal with them.

Very true, MMOs would garner more respect if wasn't for those negative sterotypes.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: