Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Offtopic Mayhem (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | |-+  Do you play sports? Do you really like any sports?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do you play sports? Do you really like any sports?  (Read 7602 times)
el.zmeev
Initiate

View Profile WWW
« on: November 21, 2005, 03:58:35 PM »

All my life I had very difficult relationship with sports. Teachers at school made me (and still make...) run, jump, throw balls, kick balls and so on as if I really need that to be a real good guy! But I always wanted to read books, play computer games, listen to music rather than to be a part of this 'delirium'...

And I noticed that people like me, people who feel deeper than others, they have the same problems as I have (and that includes dealing with too many sports).

So. I'm not against sports, I'm not against stuff like 'being healthy and strong' Tongue I just wanna ask you, have you ever experienced things that were at least somehow like what I wrote about?

The Guy
Pr Team
Knight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 04:22:02 PM »

Sports?  Blah, never had a need for them, never will.  I don't see how someone can watch a football game, basketball game, hockey, baseball, or really any other sport that I can't think of at the moment.  Me? I'm a vidiot. I've been mainly playing video game the majority of my life as far back to the age of 3.  More then likely, I'll probably be playing whatever type of games  and consoles are out when I'm 80 years old.  So unless games themselves can be considered a sport, then no I guess I don't play any sports whatsoever.  While I agree with you on 'being healthy and strong' I don't seem to move about too much since games make you stay in one place.  And yes, I know, I really don't seem to lead much of a life, but that's my choice and noone elses.  Actually, scratch that, gaming IS my life.

Reish Vedaur
Plot Team
Adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 06:21:47 PM »

Well, as sports go, I have a hard time watching them save for tennis and NASCAR Racing.  I can watch the Superbowl or the World Series, but it boggles me how people like my brother can get bent out of shape because he missed one game the Cardinals or the Rams play.

But I love doing them.  I've been in softball, baseball, soccer, track, karate, and I also love biking and, although I'm not very good at it, tag football.  Out of all of them, karate and biking are the ones I love doing the most, and I wish I was still in karate (I had to quit when I was 12).

Basically, I love physical activity.

Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 07:39:30 PM »

I watch the occasional Football game, and I like Baseball, too, but I don't really play them. Too light to play Football and I suck at Baseball.

Ianfe
Music Admin
Hero

Stop the madness!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 08:11:56 PM »

Well, as sports go, I have a hard time watching them...

But I love doing them.
I agree. I can't watch sports on TV... they bore me to death.

I like playing most sports, although I really, REALLY suck at most of them. Especially the ones that are ball-centered... I never for the life of me could handle a ball well.. the thing is I'm CLUMSY. The only thing involving balls (sports, people. SPORTS, You dirty-minded) I'm somewhat good at is playing goalie in Futball (or what gringos call "Soccer") or Futsal.

Other than that, most of the fun is derived in watching me stumble around or tripping over the ball.

The two sports I've practiced most of my life are swimming and boxing, which I've practiced for 15 and 10 years, respectively. I've learned bits of other martial arts over my life. Farthest I got was brown belt in Tae Kwon do, but my Saboni (Sensei) had to move away and I didn't pursue it further. I'm also somewhat of a Capoeira enthusiast, 'tis very challenging.

Crunchy on the outside...
The Guy
Pr Team
Knight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 08:22:24 PM »

I never really thought of karate as much of a sport.  I had a good three years learning Kenpo or something like that and was ready for my green belt, but for some reason I ended up not finishing.  I was about 12 maybe 13 at the time.  Exactly, what is Capoeira, Ianfe?  I do not recall ever hearing about such a sport in my life.

Brassfire
Music Admin
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 01:13:58 AM »

I have to agree that watching sports on tv is rather boring. Basketball is ok, it's fast-paced enough usually. Baseball is much more fun to play than to watch. Don't even get me started on the boringness of hockey!

I prefer local fun play rather than competitive or school play though - pickup pond hockey, now that's fun!

Also like volleyball, dancing, sailing, gymnastics. Wanted to learn karate but never really did. I need to get back into all that though.

As for feeling deeply... yes, I do. Loving sports has nothing to do with that. The human body was meant to move just as much as it was meant to feel music or imagine scenes while reading books.

"A dragon is not going to care if you are gay or not. They are going to eat you anyway."
~Brassfire the Mage~
lazygamer
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 05:20:59 AM »

I certainly don't like watching sports, although they are fun to play. I can't say whether I'd be good at them if I praticed, since I've never played them enough to be sure!

Hmmm Brassfire doesn't like hockey? Good to know I'm not the only Canadian who doesn't care about it. Cheesy

Q: When will it be released?
A: When it is done.

-Lazygamer on fangame cliches
Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 02:50:42 PM »

I'm a stereotypical intelectual (read "nerd"). I couldn't care less about sports, though I do occasionally work out at the gym before my body disappears into nothingness. Not that it's helping or anything...<_<

One day I will bring peace to the world with my invincible Army of Mice

Jarrod
Adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 04:36:13 PM »

Used to run cross country and track back in the day, but now just run for fun.  I enjoy watching off road races (think desert) but the only sport I could really enjoy watching would be running.  
Striker
Programming Team
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 07:14:12 PM »

I usually enjoyed gym in school and dispite all my health problems, I managed to remain fairly athletic.  I used to play both basketball and baseball when I was young, but I got out of it.  The only sport I stuck with was Karate, and went off and on for over ten years.  I even won a few tournements. I managed to make it to the rank of Shodan (1st level blackbelt), but I moved before I could continue.  I also strongly disagreed with the directions Honshi (the school head) was taking the school (the largest being that he was passing students to blackbelt that had no business being blackbelts in order to make money faster), so it was just as well that I left.
Jigen
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2005, 03:32:44 AM »

Oh, so many schools do that these days. Bloody McDojos.

I made the mistake of stereotyping myself when I was in my teens into the 'geek' and 'nerd' categories because I was too interested in games, books, movies, writing, roleplaying and all that. But now my interests are in more physical things and I wish I hadn't wasted the time I wasn't doing anything in P.E. Basically it's a 'sieze the day' issue, if they're making you spend the time doing it, get the most out of it. A man who views the world at fifty the same way he viewed it at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life - you're not going to feel the same way about everything forever so you may as well make the most of the oportunities life presents you with.

Set a match alight, and a man will be warm for a minute.
Set a man on fire and he\'ll be warm the rest of his life.
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2005, 04:11:43 AM »

Yeah, I've dealt with stuff like that before. I've heard of people getting black belt after a year or less of actually doing the style. Whatever you call it.

Ignus_Draconus
Famous Adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2005, 05:04:44 AM »

that sounds rather pointless

c/dos
c/dos/run
Striker
Programming Team
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2005, 04:17:12 PM »

Yeah... it's kind of sad, it used to be a decent school.  Now, they don't even bother to teach to teach almost all the self defense techniques I learned until after black belt. Now it's just all Katas.  I'm sorry, but learning Katas and even their interpretations does not a black belt make.  Oh, the fact that they started going with a theme of mindless uber-patriotism to please the rednecks and security-moms just further irked me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: