Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Offtopic Mayhem (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | |-+  KQIX Project Shut Down
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: KQIX Project Shut Down  (Read 13843 times)
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2005, 04:32:54 AM »

Hey, I've got seniority over you. 1500 extra posts!

Jigen
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2005, 04:38:57 AM »

That just means I have more important things to do. Except for today, my boss has walked out of work and I haven't seen him for a least two hours. So it's kind of a biz cas thur over here right now.

Set a match alight, and a man will be warm for a minute.
Set a man on fire and he\'ll be warm the rest of his life.
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2005, 10:11:12 AM »

Alright, enough. Please keep this discussion solely on KQIX. No flaming, no insulting one another, and no sarcastic remarks.  

PHattiE
Administrator
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2005, 05:43:19 PM »

From some of the responses I've been getting here, I see several posters didn't get me the first time, nor the second or third. However, seeing how I've answered pretty much everything in my previous posts, explaining further at this point would be repeating myself, so I'll just leave it at that.
I sincerely hope no one has been unduly panicked or caught up in any misconceptions, and that whatever plan you have for fighting an improbable C&D letter would never have to be applied rolleyes
We are rather bored of telling you that we don't believe it's a threat whether we get one or not.

I don't mean to be rude, but it is beginning to get annoying.  The rest of us can hypothesize doom-day scenarios too.  Unless you have real experience with this sort of thing, please don't lecture us.

wizard
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 03:08:00 PM by Brassfire » Logged

Gronagor
Art Admin
Adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2005, 07:26:09 PM »

Storm. Let's just say that if that comes, we'll handle it. After 6.25 years none of us would like the idea of Hero6 simply stopping for something that hasn't happened.

Copyright laws ain't clear-cut. (as you said) A good lawyer would find it easy to close down our project. A good lawyer could close down LucasArts games for having a similar adventure game to Sierra's first adventure games.

But a good lawyer would cost money, and weighed against the threat that Hero6 presents (which would be nothing), it wouldn't be worth it.

Thanks for all the opinions, but nothing will come from this discussion.

Swift, please lock this thread. KQ9 hasn't been discussed since page 2.

Brassfire
Music Admin
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2005, 09:34:44 PM »

Gron, I think the topic morph to discussing cease and desist letters in general was allowable under the circumstances. It's natural for people to be concerned about the results of such a letter on other projects and on Hero6.

However the insults were not allowable,and I hope they have been addressed.

So, back to KQ9's closing. It's a real pity, especially after the trailer. Although the meshes for the women looked rather odd in the chest area, it was animated and voiced very professionally, and the music supported what was going on in the trailer.

I hope that the KQ9 team can reach an agreement with Vivendi that will allow them to finish and publish their game, whether for free or as a paid download profiting Vivendi. From the quality of the trailer, I'd be happy to buy it.

I also hope that the people writing letters to Vivendi over this issue remember to bring up the issue that a project such as KQ9 would only improve Vivendi's reputation as a game publisher, and could improve their bottom line.

"A dragon is not going to care if you are gay or not. They are going to eat you anyway."
~Brassfire the Mage~
Rand_Al_Thor
Initiate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2005, 08:51:14 AM »

Aye tis a shame overall...

I too am awaiting the VGA remake of QFG2 however seeing as i like the original graphics far better and the text-driven commands my anticipation is not as high as it could be.

Why not make a 'original' hero game using graphics similar to QFG1 and 2. 16 colours =O Much better!!
-NOTE! The hero6 pics are amazing!

RAND AL THOR
THE DRAGON REBORN
-But im known better as Ad Avis in every game i play-
koko_99_2001
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2005, 01:49:46 AM »

Hey everyone,

I wanted to let everyone know that myself and many
other King's Quest fans have joined together and started an organization to try to save KQIX.

Our website address is:  www.savekqix.org

We feel very strongly that our best bet to save the
game is through a letter writing campaign.  If you care about KQIX and want to see it released, I strongly urge you to take 10 minutes and write a letter to Vivendi Universal Games.  Let them know how much you were looking forward to the game.

I know some of you may have already sent emails.  That's great, but we still need you to send a physical letter via the good ol' postal service.  A physical letter will have so much more of an impact than an email.  The emails are probably never seen by anyone except a couple of low level people who's job it is to check those email
accounts.  It's easy to dismiss thousands of emails.  But it's hard to ignore thousands of actual letters. Physical letters will have  more of a visual impact.  Think of how those Vivendi executives will feel when the see those stack and stacks of letters!

I know some of you may have also signed the petition that has been circulating.  We think the petition IS a great idea, but really believe that a personally written letter from each one of you, rather than the
same petition, will be EVEN more effective.  In fact, the person that created the petition is a major part of our organization.  Oh, and don't worry; if you've already signed the petition, it WILL be sent to
Vivendi. However, we ask that you still write a letter to them.

Visit our webpage for the mailing address to VU Games.  Stop by the
forums and say hello.  Let's make it known that there are a lot of adventure game fans out here that want to see the game released.  We need EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU in order to be successful.

Please, take 10 minutes out of your day to write that letter.  It's the
best chance we have to save KQIX!

Take care,

Cat
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2005, 06:16:28 AM »

Okay, so you expect us to pay the (For some of us) steep mailing prices to send a letter that will probably not be seen, or cared about? Not to be pessimistic, but Jiggy lives in Australia. Swift lives in Singapore. Some of us live in Europe, North America, whatever. We're EVERYWHERE. Do you know how much it costs to send letters overseas? We're not all in great financial straits, as I'm sure most of us know.

Personally, I'll try. But consider this. All our letters are gonna arrive at different times. Nobody is gonna think to stack all these up and label them "KQIX Fans". Most of them are probably gonna get tossed away as more hate mail. But enough of my pessimistic rant, I'm not making anyone feel better.

mcomp72
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2005, 06:29:38 AM »

Okay, so you expect us to pay the (For some of us) steep mailing prices to send a letter that will probably not be seen, or cared about? Not to be pessimistic, but Jiggy lives in Australia. Swift lives in Singapore. Some of us live in Europe, North America, whatever. We're EVERYWHERE. Do you know how much it costs to send letters overseas? We're not all in great financial straits, as I'm sure most of us know.

Personally, I'll try. But consider this. All our letters are gonna arrive at different times. Nobody is gonna think to stack all these up and label them "KQIX Fans". Most of them are probably gonna get tossed away as more hate mail. But enough of my pessimistic rant, I'm not making anyone feel better.
I certainly understand that for those of you who live overseas, you may not be able to send a letter in the mail.  If you can't, perhaps an email?

As for the letters going in the trash, I don't think so.  Remember, the original Star Trek TV show was saved (for one more season) based on a letter writing campaign.  Family Guy, the cartoon now on Fox, was saved party due to a letter writing campaign.

If corporations just threw out letters as soon as they got them, then letter writing campaigns would NEVER be successful.  They are sometimes, and we're hoping this will be one of those times.

--Matt

www.savekqix.org

Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2005, 07:06:06 AM »

The Original Star Trek was a waste of oxygen. Except Leonard Nemoy.

As for Family Guy, well, Family Guy never WAS threatened as far as I know. It just got moved from Fox.

Jigen
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2005, 07:32:40 AM »

Getting booted off your channel is usually pretty threatening, if one investor decides you aren't worth the money, few others will. The fans saved Famly Guy (and God bless them)

Set a match alight, and a man will be warm for a minute.
Set a man on fire and he\'ll be warm the rest of his life.
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2005, 09:20:57 AM »

Just try with whatever method you're able to do, and hope for the best. Smiley If sending an email is the only option you have, send an email. If you're able to do more than that, you're welcome to try.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 09:36:24 AM by Swift » Logged

Reish Vedaur
Plot Team
Adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2005, 12:00:21 PM »

Just for the record, not to keep the topic off-topic, but... Family Guy was cancelled by Fox, and was off the air for at least 2 or 3 years.  Adult Swim (a programming block on Cartoon Network) put what was made, and thusly syndicated, on the air, and its popularity was proven, so Fox brought it back AND allowed Seth McFarlane to bring another show, American Dad, to the airwaves.  The unfortunate thing in all this however is that American Dad and all the new episodes of Family Guy are absolutely attrocious and highly unfunny.  You can tell Seth McFarlane is just a very cocky guy who knows Fox will buy anything from him now that he's proven himself once.

Striker
Programming Team
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2005, 12:55:44 PM »

Just for the record, not to keep the topic off-topic, but... Family Guy was cancelled by Fox, and was off the air for at least 2 or 3 years.  Adult Swim (a programming block on Cartoon Network) put what was made, and thusly syndicated, on the air, and its popularity was proven, so Fox brought it back AND allowed Seth McFarlane to bring another show, American Dad, to the airwaves.  The unfortunate thing in all this however is that American Dad and all the new episodes of Family Guy are absolutely attrocious and highly unfunny.  You can tell Seth McFarlane is just a very cocky guy who knows Fox will buy anything from him now that he's proven himself once.
Actually, it was really the overwhelming number of Family Guy DVD sales that got the Fox exec's attention. Also, there have been episodes of both American Dad and Family Guy this season that have been extremely funny. So, in conclusion, try to put in a bit more research and thought before you type next time.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 12:56:07 PM by Striker » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: