Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Offtopic Mayhem (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | |-+  Aetolia
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Aetolia  (Read 2470 times)
Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2006, 08:55:18 PM »

MUD = stands for Multi User Dungeon.

Over the times, these games have lacked graphics (literally) being text-based entirely. Frankly, I found the concept laughable until about a month ago.

Thing is, they started out as text-based MMO DnD games, but now you can find MMOs about just about anything from Star Wars to Pokemon to Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

However, one Company: Iron Realms entertainment Iron Realms remains the best at this, having four MUDs in the top 20.

Now, I can't vouch for any MUD except the one I play, and that is Aetolia.

Aetolia

Let me just resume it: It's a massive world, RP is a requirement, the people are friendly (within RP character), they speak proper English (WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT?), the game is VERY complex and you can do a lot of different things. Plus it's addictive. Players run everything there from Guilds to Cities. Even the gods are players. You can rise in ranks by meeting requirements AND passing an exam and blah blah lots of features. And it's addictive.

CAUTION: Lack of graphics is NOT for anyone...not many people like these games...

Top MUD Sites

For other MUD themes you might want...

One day I will bring peace to the world with my invincible Army of Mice

Rulic
Squire

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 12:26:40 AM »

MUDs are the poop.
Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 11:44:31 AM »

Ok, do you mean they're "poop", or "THE poop" but you say it like that because of the censors?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 11:46:24 AM by Silverbolt » Logged

lazygamer
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 12:01:14 PM »

I'd be willing to play a MUD, but only if it's alot more advanced than the typical MMORPG. By advanced I mean a multiplayer RPG that reaches(or somewhat reaches) the level of a singleplayer RPG, in terms of NPCs, story, and the effect a player can have on the world. The fact that MMORPGs can't compare to a single player RPG is why I've never bothered with them. Ok but this is AFAIK, most MMORPGs I have not played, maybe I'm wrong?

Also, are there any MUDs that use text to represent graphics? I've seen that in a few old BBS games, ie: LORD 2. It's not that I need graphics, but being able to see what's around you is makes the game easier to navigate.

Q: When will it be released?
A: When it is done.

-Lazygamer on fangame cliches
Raito
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 03:26:24 PM »

Well, such games can be brilliant but the problem with them is that they often require a group for certain quests. Also, I don't function well with the lack of visuals and Telnet is very prone to hacking and virii attacks.

I somewhat prefer games, which are made up of a combination of visual and text. Games like Kingdom of Loathing are more to my enjoyment, instead.
Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 08:01:36 PM »

Yuri: you don't need to use telnet. I use zMUD. A MUD client. As for lack of visuals...well, I told you they're not for everyone...

Lazygamer: Impact on the world? This world is Player-run! Conquer a city or win it by elections. Rise in the ranks of a guild. Wage war on another city. And as for PWRLVL ME PLZ OMG N00B !11 No such things exist here. The key phrase is RP. And do you mean such as ASCII images? If yes, then there aren't any here. Only very, VERY detailed descriptions.

Raito
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 02:06:21 AM »

Yuri: you don't need to use telnet. I use zMUD. A MUD client. As for lack of visuals...well, I told you they're not for everyone...

Lazygamer: Impact on the world? This world is Player-run! Conquer a city or win it by elections. Rise in the ranks of a guild. Wage war on another city. And as for PWRLVL ME PLZ OMG N00B !11 No such things exist here. The key phrase is RP. And do you mean such as ASCII images? If yes, then there aren't any here. Only very, VERY detailed descriptions.
*shrugs* To each their own.

But to be serious, I've read pieces of their literature and other articles on their site. Not very impressive, if you ask me. It's so run of the mill!  
lazygamer
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 05:08:52 AM »

Now that does sound pretty cool. I was reading up on Aetolia's website, and the game seemed impressive. I think I'll check it out.

Yes I was refering to ASCII images.

Q: When will it be released?
A: When it is done.

-Lazygamer on fangame cliches
Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 10:25:36 AM »

*shrugs* To each their own.

But to be serious, I've read pieces of their literature and other articles on their site. Not very impressive, if you ask me. It's so run of the mill!
M'eh...as I said, it's Player made literature. And it's more RP than any WoW you may ever see and more complex than any Star Wars Galaxies.

IF you like the genre.

Reish Vedaur
Plot Team
Adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 06:29:04 PM »

This is a public service announcement from the Reish Vedaur Informing Others About Stuff Organization:

Ultima Online is the only decent MMO in existance.  Thank you.

This has been a public service announcement from the RVIOASO.

Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 07:27:23 PM »

Say so it lacks "OMG LOL SELLING AXE ON MAIN CHANNEL CUZ TRADE IZ 4 LOOZERZ!"

or "PWRLVL ME PLZ! GOLD 4 NOOB?"

Impressive.

Do they have REAL RP?

If yes, then hands down.

EDIT: Notice that I said "say" before what I wanted to type. I'm addicted...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 07:30:18 PM by Silverbolt » Logged

Reish Vedaur
Plot Team
Adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 11:42:17 PM »

There's just something about UO that makes people behave like human beings, is all.  There's always gonna be the morons, and most people don't really roleplay, but for the most part everyone treats it like it's a real and true new world that they're in and their character behaves accordingly.

Rulic
Squire

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 10:04:24 PM »

There's just something about UO that makes people behave like human beings, is all.  There's always gonna be the morons, and most people don't really roleplay, but for the most part everyone treats it like it's a real and true new world that they're in and their character behaves accordingly.
Is it like that as of recently?  Or are you saying it has always been like that?

I think when UO used to be all PvP (well, you had huevos if you PKed in town) it was a different story.  I probably ran into a PKer scheme like every week.  This was around 2nd Age I think.  I left and came back and there were players left and right with names like 10100100111, *$P@$$t|[, ........, etc.  The l33tage was pretty commonplace.  I left soon after.

I haven't been back to UO, but if what you're saying is true, I just may give it another go because I loved the game itself.

I say all this but I do recall quite a number of really nice people who are extremely social and willing to go out of their way to give you a hand.  

By the way.....earlier I said the poop as in MUDs are "THE poop".  And I always say poop instead of the s-word with or without censors.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 10:06:10 PM by Rulic » Logged
Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2006, 01:25:26 PM »

I see. MUDs Roxx0r.

The Guy
Pr Team
Knight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2006, 05:02:46 AM »

Considering the lack of graphics used at all, I suppose you must have a good imagination to play these MUDs.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: