Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Offtopic Mayhem (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | |-+  Once again about QFG5 on XP... :)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Once again about QFG5 on XP... :)  (Read 2360 times)
el.zmeev
Initiate

View Profile WWW
« on: November 16, 2005, 06:08:49 AM »

Yeah, after a while I tried again Dragonfire, on XP. And you know, I liked the music there just a lot (when played on 98)! And on XP it doesn't seem to have a wish to work properly!.. I tried  the patch from www.questformoreglory.com but I don't know what it fixes, to tell the truth, coz the game works the same. And the music is quiet... sucks.

So if there's somebody who knows smth abput that, write here
 :!:  
Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 03:17:32 PM »

Try to right click on the exe and select Compatibility Options. Choose Windows 98/Me. Try to see if that works.

One day I will bring peace to the world with my invincible Army of Mice

el.zmeev
Initiate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 07:25:46 PM »

Without setting "win95/98 compatibility" "on" the game doesn't start at all. And with that it runs but still with poor sound (I mean both sound and music)... Dang!  blackguard  
Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 01:05:09 PM »

Oh...I didn't help.

What else is new?  <_<  

One day I will bring peace to the world with my invincible Army of Mice

el.zmeev
Initiate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 09:02:33 AM »

el.zmeev
Initiate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 09:03:34 AM »

el.zmeev
Initiate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 09:07:13 AM »

What's going to happen next? Waiting for pictures...  laugh  
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 09:09:20 AM by Insider » Logged
Reish Vedaur
Plot Team
Adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 09:30:30 AM »

I think you posted in the wrong topic, Insider.

el.zmeev
Initiate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 09:53:19 AM »

I think you posted in the wrong topic, Insider.
It's just an expression of my anger (see above) devil I didn't really mean to post "an image gallery" or smth  Wink
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 09:54:54 AM by Insider » Logged
Reish Vedaur
Plot Team
Adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 10:57:21 AM »

hehe, alright =)

el.zmeev
Initiate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005, 11:10:22 AM »

Oh yeah, and returning to QFG 5. Are there any thoughts on how to fix all the sound there playing on XP? Thanks! Smiley
The Guy
Pr Team
Knight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2005, 10:24:07 AM »

Greetings Insider, I have just finished installing QFG5 on my computer.  I did a full install and when I had went to start the game I experienced the same problem as you did.  Upon switching to the "Windows 98 / Windows Me" compatability as Silverbolt suggest, it ran fine for me.  Also I don't know if it made a difference, but I put the screen resolution to 640 x 480 as well.  The sound on mine seems to run fine unless I open my inventory or switch through my options, then I get the slightest stuttering on the sound in my game.  I'm not sure if computer speed makes a difference or not, but I have a 1.67 gig processor and 1 gig of RAM.  I didn't download any patch or anything.  Weird thing is, the game loaded up without the cd in it and went through the intro until the main screen and then asked for the game cd.  I don't remember it doing that.  It has been quite a while since I have played it and yet I still never got past day 3 or 4.  Only QFG game I have never finished.  Perhaps it is either the speed of your computer or possibly a sound driver issue or both?  Hope you get it working correctly.

el.zmeev
Initiate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2005, 10:36:08 PM »

OK...

The Guy, thanks for sharing Smiley

By the way, you told about playing the game in XP, didn't you? If it was so, I want to ask you: didn't you really have any problems with music? Didn't it run with pauses, like it's broken or something?..

And... I understand that the sound problem in QFG 5 (as in previous parts) is the problem of the games trying to recognize modern sound cards. Parts 1-4 didn't manage to do that at all, only when you play it using DOSBOX that emulates old sound cards. But QFG5 is a Win game, so... You can't use DOSBOX for sure. Sad

--> Some sound patches? Drivers? Don't know...

I just want to listen to fine music while travelling around Silmaria, music that will make me the happiest adventurer ever!..

...And The Guy, could you please tell (in details if it's possible, brands, versions etc.):
- what motherboard do you use?
- what sound card (or how do we call it now...)?
- what Windows version (including a service pack, Direct X and whatever you think is important to tell)?
- QFG 5 version?

Yeah...

Respect!  heart  
The Guy
Pr Team
Knight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2005, 02:08:48 AM »

Hey, no problem at all Insider.  If any little bit of information helps at all, I'm glad to be of service.

Let's see now, I am running it on Windows XP, have Service Pack 2, AMD Athlon XP Processor, DirectX 9.0c  (4.09.0000.0904 is the version number).  I don't have any sound card, so it is using whatever is in the computer and I'm unsure how to check that.  As for the version of Quest For Glory 5, it took me about 5 minutes to figure that one out.  I loaded up the game and had the main screen load up and it shows nothing!  Which rather surprised me for that's usually where you check the game version.  So I took out the cd and checked that, nothing, check the install cd, the jewel case, the game manual, and nothing on any of them.  So I got an idea to open up the main directory and right clicked on the QFG5.exe file that starts game and apparantly I have the very first version - 1.0.0.0.  As for the motherboard, I'm unsure of that as well, I'll probably have to open up my computer and find out and then I'll update this.  As for sound and music?  Well I played the game for about 15 minutes or so, and they both play out pretty good if you ask me.  The music only seems to suffer a slight crackling noise at times other then that it sounds awesome.  The sounds and background sounds and speech all seem pretty good too.  I'll let you know more when I figure out my motherboard and whatever it is that's playing the sound and music.

Edit: Apparantly I have a KM266 motherboard, if that's any help at all. I have not been able to figure out whatever the internal speaker type is unfortunately.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 09:59:36 AM by The Guy » Logged

el.zmeev
Initiate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2005, 03:52:17 AM »

Thanks again! Hearing that you probably have less problems with the game sound and music that I do is... you know, good, real good Smiley Maybe we can even change something about that.

See you!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: