Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Offtopic Mayhem (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | |-+  AN ARTICLE FOR A RUSSIAN MAGAZINE!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AN ARTICLE FOR A RUSSIAN MAGAZINE!  (Read 2548 times)
8: Undefined variable: censor_proper
File: /var/www/hero6com/forums/sources/Load.php
Line: 1689
el.zmeev
Initiate

View Profile WWW
« on: October 29, 2005, 04:15:48 PM »

Hey-hey, everybody!

I'm writing an article for a Russian magazine, it's about old adventure games, its history and freaks Cheeky wink who still play such games and even try to make their own games.  Cheesy In fact, they don't know a lot about all this in Russia, so... I ask you: please help me with this deal! There are some questions below. Please answer them, I need your stories, your opinions! Especially, 'Hero 6' team (because you're even working on an adventure game right now Smiley ).

1. When and how did you first find out about computer adventure games? When did you first play such game? What game it was? And so on...

2. What is your favorite adventure game? Who is your favorite character? Name? What game from?..

3. What do classic adventure games mean for you?

4. What do you do when you don't play adv. games or don't work on them (study, work etc.)?
Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 05:58:19 PM »

1. I was at a guy's place when I was about 10 and I saw Broken Sword 2. I loved the genre instantly.

2. My favorite adventure game....I would say QFG, but it's more of a hybrid, so I'll go with The Longest Journey. That game was beautiful. My favorite character: April Ryan from the aforementioned game.

3. Classic adventure means challanging puzzles, a great storyline, good characters and an accessible gameplay. No stupid "Pull levers" puzzles or other things like that.

4. I'm an amateur writer. I'm also a passionate reader and gamer. Aspiring webdesigner and sadly still in the hell that is high-school.

One day I will bring peace to the world with my invincible Army of Mice

Reish Vedaur
Plot Team
Adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 10:01:00 PM »

1. Well, I remember going to my friend Joel's house one day when I was perhaps 4, and he was playing Quest for Glory 2: Trial By Fire.  I loved the silly merchant, the graphics were amazing and smoothe, and I couldn't take my fascinated eyes off of it.  Whether or not this was my first experience with an adventure game, I'm not sure, because it may have been The Secret of Monkey Island.

2. My favorite is definitely the Quest for Glory series, but Guybrush Threepwood from the Monkey Island series is probably my favorite character.

3. Hayao Miyazaki's more action-oriented works, especially Princess Mononoke, remind me a lot of my ideal of a good adventure game.  What I mean by that is, the character is forced to use only what limitted resources they have to change the fate of an otherwise doomed land.

4. I'm currently studying to go into work in IT.  I've made maps for Call of Duty.  I also spend time writing.  But for the most part I make sure my friends aren't killing each other.

Dragon_Rider
Squire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 04:14:59 AM »

Well, Im not on the Hero6 team, but lets give them a few more seconds of working on the game while I answer...

1. When and how did you first find out about computer adventure games? When did you first play such game? What game was it? And so on...

First adventure game I played? The first one that holds a vivid memory for me would be an old game known as 'Darklands'. I was about 5 years of age when I picked it up, and for the next three years it took only the promise of money or cookies to get me off. Tongue
For those who dont know it, old medieval Germany setting, except with demons and dragons and everything of that nature- and un-nature...

2. What is your favorite adventure game? Who is your favorite character? Name? What game from?

Hmm... favorite adventure game of all time? I would have to say Morrowind, followed by the aformentioned Darklands, followed in third by the QfG series (yes, I know, QfG not being top two is blasphemy on these boards, but the truth must be told) Morrowind and darklands because of the go anywhere do anything nature of the games, and QfG was just plain fun...
Character? Hmm, this would be a bit tougher... um... well... you didnt say it had to be from an adventure game, so I pick Solid Snake from the MGS series... (MG series too, although I didnt play them Sad .) -Dont really have a favorite from an adventure game...

3. What do classic adventure games mean for you?

Fun...                
...What?  You were expecting somthing longer for this one?

4. What do you do when you don't play adv. games or don't work on them (study, work etc.)?

Play other games... and sleep... and eat... and work... and... um... dangit... I really have no life... blink

Mmmmm... pumpkin pie...
and Dragon-roasted pumpkin seeds...
el.zmeev
Initiate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 04:30:56 AM »

Thanks for the answers! Waiting for more replies! You know what they used to say in Soviet Union: 'Родина вас не забудет'  heart  
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 06:03:08 AM »

The unforgotten native land?
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 03:26:54 PM »

Hi. What Russian magazine are you writing for? Could you provide the title and the url please?

Rulic
Squire

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2005, 04:02:18 PM »

1.  Well, the first game I recall is more like adventure/educational.  I believe it was called Mind Castle or something.  There wasn't really much story to it, but the puzzles they gave were really cool.  But the first real true blue adventure game for me had to be KQ1.  My best friend and I tackled it together somewhere around 3rd or 4th grade.  Nikstlitselpmur rules!!!!

2.  I'd have to say my favorite adventure game had to be Mission Critical.  I couldn't tell you my favorite character out of an adventure game.  If I had to take a stab at it, it would probably be Fenris and Erasmus for QfG series.  But that's just taking a stab.

3.  A high quality IQ (and EQ) test that's wrapped up in a good story.  Simple.

4.  Ummm....  Play PC games (currently Civ4, World of Warcraft, Rome TW, and others).  During baseball season I watch the Houston Astros.  I do projects that I never complete (i.e. write short stories, storyboard games, crossword puzzles).  And of course, work.

BTW, for you baseball fanatics out there, here's a cool little fantasy baseball league game that I just started playing.  http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/fantasy/...eague/index.jsp
They are in the postseason right now, so it'll take a few more days 'til the next season starts up.  I picked up my team on the last day of the season, but I got the win!!!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 04:09:23 PM by Rulic » Logged
Sirus
Squire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 12:40:57 AM »

Well, the first game I recall is more like adventure/educational.  I believe it was called Mind Castle or something.  There wasn't really much story to it, but the puzzles they gave were really cool.
Are you talking about "Dr Brain's Castle"? (also developed by the Coles)

Current Project:Hero of the Rune My QFG Fangame!
Current Status: Working on plot and a design document before getting in over my head.
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 06:37:32 AM »

I have Brain Castle, but I can't play it. Stupid Copyprotection, I lost the manual.

Rulic
Squire

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2005, 10:38:57 AM »

It was Mind Castle.  I just found it as abandonware.  One of those good ole Apple IIc games that schools had.
I had Dr. Brain's Castle but it never worked.  It came in a bundle and all the other games worked so I overlooked it.
el.zmeev
Initiate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2005, 12:58:49 PM »

Hi. What Russian magazine are you writing for? Could you provide the title and the url please?
It's not a very popular magazine. It's called 'Общий язык', which is 'Common language' or 'General language' in English. And also I'll try to give the article to my university newspaper - 'University life'. Unfortunately, as far as I know, they don't have websites.

...And another thing that makes me sad is that the article has to be not big which literally means 'very brief'.  :angry: And there's already a lot to write about the subject (history, forum replies and so on). So, maybe somehow I'll also try to get through the iron walls of 'big PC magazines'  Cheesy

However, I'll do my best to write an outstanding thing.  :hero:  
Lord_Bierhoff
Superhero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2005, 02:21:38 PM »

1.  The first game I recall was one of the King's Quests.  I saw it at a second cuisine's house, but I was reall young and wasn't very impressed.  Years later I played Space Quest 2 with my dad (read: my dad played space quest 2 and I "helped").  As I got older my neighbors and I would get together and passes weeks during the summer working at space quests.

2.  Quest for Glory has become my favourit series.  Roger Wilco from Space Quest is still my favourit character though

3.  I find a good game is a way to escape the mundane.  It is an intreging and challenging form of entertainment, far more involved than watching a movie or TV.

4.  Definately studying, which is what I should be doing now.  Yaaah for uni.  (whenever I have the time I like to go on "adventures" of my own aka. going as far as I can on what I can fit in a pack... Moscow far tops the list)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 02:23:31 PM by Lord_Bierhoff » Logged

censeo Carthaginem esse dalendam[/size]