Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Offtopic Mayhem (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | |-+  Philosophy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Philosophy  (Read 5793 times)
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2005, 06:20:48 AM »

If we were all raised in communal nurseries, then it's quite possible for mothers to willingly give up their children for they would see it as a norm.

And as I've never been a mother, I can't say for certain whether I wouldn't willingly give up a child after carrying it to full term. Directing this question at me is pointless.

However, don't give up yet. You could be on the right track. Also, there are other reasons why this method won't work. Think about it.

Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2005, 06:37:50 AM »

Also, this solves one problem, but creates a slew of others. Maybe after it went on for a decade or so, people would settle down, but what do you think will happen when people suddenly have to give their babies up to some nursery, whether they want to or not? Protests! Protests all over the country, all over the world! Liberals, Republicans, Blacks, Whites, Asians, Hispanics, Jews, Muslims, Christians, Hindus...none of them would appreciate this!  

Jigen
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2005, 01:53:51 PM »

You've already made that point Corsair and at least last time you were brief.

Even in a society where such practice was the norm, one would have to wonder about the environment the children were being raised in. We've all had good school teachers and bad school teachers fair enough, but these kids would be being raised by these people. The potential for child abuse is significant, but the potential for genuine affection (espescially if implimented in our currently paranoid climate) is extremely slim. Kindergarten teachers aren't even allowed to hug a crying child anymore, what ridiculous restrictions would these carers be placed under?

The result is an entire generation growing up without love.

I don't even want to think about what that could cause.

Set a match alight, and a man will be warm for a minute.
Set a man on fire and he\'ll be warm the rest of his life.
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2005, 01:59:05 PM »

Interesting point, Jigen.

Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2005, 07:01:44 PM »

What do you think, Swift?

Ignus_Draconus
Famous Adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2005, 07:33:13 PM »

I think that this idea is rather rediculous, as it completely destroys any semblance of actual family. perhaps if all the families came together once a week to talk and to let their children hang out together, it might work.

c/dos
c/dos/run
Jigen
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2005, 01:41:37 PM »

Actually Ignus, I think that was the whole point.

Set a match alight, and a man will be warm for a minute.
Set a man on fire and he\'ll be warm the rest of his life.
Blackthorne519
Initiate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2005, 05:07:11 PM »

The family is a myth, created to make us feel better and more organized.  Much like the concept of God.

Bt

"I'm not even supposed to BE here today........" - Dante, Clerks.
Raito
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2005, 06:30:43 PM »

I guess it depends on your ethics, and your stand. In many cases, people are unable to detach themselves from the emotions involved with the bond that they share with their parents and thus, any judgements or even criticisms they make might be clouded with prejudism(either against or for).

And I know some might rebuke me for saying this, but to quote a friend indirectly:"Just because they are your parents does not mean that they are incapable of doing wrong."

To put it this way: if a criminal has been committing crimes like murder, burglary, etc. ever since he was a child, even if he gets married and has children, the marriage and bonds do not guarantee a positive or negative or even a neutral outcome. To summarise: he could change for the worse or better or simply not change at all.

Edit: And another example: Just because one has been a good parent, that does not mean he or she is free to start abusing his or her own child.  
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 06:32:35 PM by yuri » Logged
lazygamer
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2005, 06:44:11 PM »

Even in a society where such practice was the norm, one would have to wonder about the environment the children were being raised in. We've all had good school teachers and bad school teachers fair enough, but these kids would be being raised by these people. The potential for child abuse is significant, but the potential for genuine affection (espescially if implimented in our currently paranoid climate) is extremely slim. Kindergarten teachers aren't even allowed to hug a crying child anymore, what ridiculous restrictions would these carers be placed under?

The result is an entire generation growing up without love.

I don't even want to think about what that could cause.
The potential for child abuse and the lack of affection is a very large problem even with our current family system.

Q: When will it be released?
A: When it is done.

-Lazygamer on fangame cliches
Esquire
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2005, 08:32:10 PM »

Let's philosphiz on this: WHy does a miror reflect left to right and right to left,  but not up to down and down to up?
Dragon_Rider
Squire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2005, 08:38:08 PM »

Why not do as was said- seperate child and parents- but instead of making it a compleate seperation- have the children raised by the community as a whole?- This would mean there are more people the child can trust and goto for advice should someone in the community commit a horrible act- and would slightly negate that feeling that you must protect your 'flesh and blood' because you are more likely to be loyal to the people of the community as a whole.

Mmmmm... pumpkin pie...
and Dragon-roasted pumpkin seeds...
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2005, 11:27:46 PM »

Which might include criminals. And this would be a dream come true for pedophiles and that savory sort.

Dragon_Rider
Squire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2005, 12:00:18 AM »

Point taken- although I would have thought my idea would allow such things to be brought to light and likely dealt with quicker.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 12:04:35 AM by Dragon_Rider » Logged

Mmmmm... pumpkin pie...
and Dragon-roasted pumpkin seeds...
Pwincess
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2005, 07:41:51 AM »

According to statistics, children are often sexually abused by people they know (usually a parent or a relative).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: