Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Hero6 Discussion (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | |-+  wow....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: wow....  (Read 1762 times)
nat
« on: March 21, 2005, 09:01:09 PM »

omg i played the demo and it was the best of those type of games ive ever played!
i was wondering .... how do you make them.. is there some kind of system you use a download or somthing? and books? i really wana learn! all my stuff has failed! fighter  can u help?
Erasmus
Plot Admin
Squire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 10:29:25 PM »

Thanks for the compliment Smiley Hopefully some of our programming people will stop by for a response. Game creation takes many steps. Lets say you already have a plot and know what you want to do. First, you have to have a game engine. An engine is kind of like a program which will put together all your pieces of the game and play it. We use a member-developed engine called MAD. Once you have an engine, you need to draw out backgrounds and sprites. Backgrounds speak for themselves, they are the part of the screen that doesn't move. Sprites are any of the pieces of art that have to move or be animated. Once you have the drawings for a scene, you've got to program it. I'm not a programming guy, but in a nutshell you have to create scripts (programming lingo for instructions) which tell the engine how it should handle the art you've put in. This includes setting conditions, movement paths, etc. Then you enter in how sprites interact with each other. This means that the engine has to know what will happen when you click a key on a door, ie setting it from locked to unlocked. Lastly, you enter in the dialogue and descriptions, and script those into the engine so that doing something like clicking on an object will bring up a description.

Thats the most basic way I can think of describing the game creation process. Throw in a few good composers to set the mood with music and sound effects, and you've got yourself a game.

If you are interested in starting to learn how to do this kind of stuff, I'd suggest you start with learning how to program in BASIC, then moving on to C and C++. Once you are familiar with those, you can get into the kinds of programming needed to do more advanced work, such as games. I'll see if I can have a programer get you more info.

Your curiosity is appreciated  royal  
nat
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 01:01:26 PM »

well see i really wana make a rpg... like a classic one.... sorta  like a dragon warrior or a ff.....  i used rpg maker 2000 but .... its kinda simple and i wana make one all my own.... yah know? i mean i kind change my character modles and monsters and buildings but i want somthing i made not with a game....
this stuff is very confusing and anoying ><

(second post)

sorry bout the double post but i also wanted to say that the reason i wana do this so bad is because i wana be a video game maker person.i have a friend  that wants to do it to.. so we are trying to make a small free game company.... just for f-un ... but now im geting kinda lost huh
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 04:40:24 PM by Swift » Logged
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 02:21:13 PM »

Welcome to the forums, nat. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed playing the demo. Good luck in your game project. I hope it takes off nicely.

nat
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 10:05:48 PM »

i have one question...... about 3d games...... does anyone here know how to code them? like yah know runescape graphics?(really bad but 3d) is that at all cnnected to what you are working on or is it a hole nother subject
Gronagor
Art Admin
Adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 08:39:38 AM »

Hiya Nat.

I think you should go ask the people at The Unknown Hero about 3D games. They might be able to help you.

But I'd suggest you start slightly easier. Hero6 is being scripted with a MAD engin, but I would recommend you to use AGS simply because there's such a big community helping each other.

On quite a few levels MAD would be better, but a beginner always needs a lot of help.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: