Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Hero6 Discussion (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | |-+  Ideas to get this started again...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ideas to get this started again...  (Read 15285 times)
JackofAllTrades
Initiate

Shh, I'm a secret ninja.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2009, 10:33:24 PM »

I won't need any help in the writing department.  I literally just need people to chat with.  If I hit a snag I just need to talk about what I'm stuck with with a couple people and I generally solve the problem.  The conversation is always one sided but as long as I don't think its one sided then it works out for me.  Its actually kind of weird that way.

Demo's are very important but from my experience any kind of proof of progress gets people excited, its all a matter of escalation.  First concept art, then pixel art, then screenshots, then demos. 

I don't actually look like Bruce Campbell, I just haven't picked a decent avatar yet.
Gronagor
Art Admin
Adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2009, 08:33:50 AM »

Hello guys. There has been an interesting twist in fate for the Hero6 project. Although at this time I'm not at liberty to explain.
In other words, the project will now continue, and will definitely be finished.

BUT, if you guys really are interested, you can e-mail me your info to gronagor at gmail dot com.

I can't promise we'll invite everyone who's interested, but skills are a rare commodity in our genre at this stage.

See you all!

deltamatrix
Global Moderator
Superhero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2009, 09:40:46 AM »

Hi JackofAllTrades. I replyed to your PM.

I personally feel that the rarest skill in this genre is sprite animators. Anyone good at sprite animations? (I know you are Gron) Smiley

Hero6 lead programmer, technical advisor, plot and art worker.
JackofAllTrades
Initiate

Shh, I'm a secret ninja.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2009, 01:10:48 PM »

I directed a project that failed spectacularly do to lack of background artists.  I do know at least one talented sprite artists.  Although she's from the Philippines and she's into anime, so I'm not sure that she's even been exposed to the genre before...  I do know another talented spriter but I'm not sure how dedicated he would be...

I don't actually look like Bruce Campbell, I just haven't picked a decent avatar yet.
Erpy
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2009, 01:11:56 PM »

I don't really think the QFG2VGA stat system will be necessary. I'm pretty sure a stat system for Hero6 was developed at some point. I do feel honored people bring me up when discussing matters like these.  Smiley

As for the rest of the comments...it's nice to see people got so enthusiastic about helping. I wanted to say: "Don't jump the gun yet" since people were talking here about restarting the project...a project which has already been through a large amounts of restructurations in the past. But I think Gronagor and Deltamatrix posting here beat me to it.

I do more or less disagree on the role of PR members...they're not exactly overlooked in the fan-game world. In fact, a lot of teams that started over the last decade had at least one PR member. And the less promising projects even had more PR members than development team members.  Grin  I personally believe that if you don't need a lot of extra team members, holding back on PR and keeping a somewhat low profile can save you a fair amount of stress when the development becomes more tedious and less interesting to outsiders. This is mostly in the later stages of development.

Helio
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2009, 01:28:49 PM »

Helio,

Cool!  Well, we first need to get more people involved with this project.  So your first task is to advertise and try to find as many other people interested as possible.  Programmers, musicians, artists, writers (JackOfAllTrades?), organizer's, etc...  Make sure people know that the current plan is for a reboot and we are in the beginning stages.

I will try. No guarantee, through... Good and free personnel don`t fell from sky.
JackofAllTrades
Initiate

Shh, I'm a secret ninja.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2009, 02:21:49 PM »

I've got to say
I don't really think the QFG2VGA stat system will be necessary. I'm pretty sure a stat system for Hero6 was developed at some point. I do feel honored people bring me up when discussing matters like these.  Smiley

As for the rest of the comments...it's nice to see people got so enthusiastic about helping. I wanted to say: "Don't jump the gun yet" since people were talking here about restarting the project...a project which has already been through a large amounts of restructurations in the past. But I think Gronagor and Deltamatrix posting here beat me to it.

I do more or less disagree on the role of PR members...they're not exactly overlooked in the fan-game world. In fact, a lot of teams that started over the last decade had at least one PR member. And the less promising projects even had more PR members than development team members.  Grin  I personally believe that if you don't need a lot of extra team members, holding back on PR and keeping a somewhat low profile can save you a fair amount of stress when the development becomes more tedious and less interesting to outsiders. This is mostly in the later stages of development.

Wiser words have never been said Dr. Erpstein.  Having lots of PR can definitely draw too much attention.  Everybody is a critic and everybody has a different opinion.  Being totally open about your project can put a lot of pressure on the project and while it can get you a lot of recruits to help the project, the majority of them won't actually have much to offer, and of those that do, many of them will not stick around for the long haul, or even worse may disappear forever without giving any sort of heads up.

To be honest I don't think any of us have the right to plan this project or start assigning members to anything without at least hearing from the developers first.  It's good to know that you guys are cooking up something though.

Oh and Erpy it's not your stat system that makes QFG2 so, exciting, its your combat engine.  It's seriously the most fun I've had in a Quest for Glory game.  In fact, I can safely say that your game is my favorite in the series.  The only thing you guys could have thrown in is an appearance from Ali Gummo and Ali Zeppo.

PauloftheWest
Initiate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2009, 09:44:07 PM »

Helio,

Cool, just try to find people who are interested in restarting, especially artists.  Right now we need to find the really hard-core people who want to help.  If you need any direction msg me.  Just FYI, I'm on vacation until Thursday so it might be a day before I can reply.

I've never had a problem weeding out the losers from the winners, so send them all!

~Paul

~less think, more do
AGP
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2009, 05:21:10 PM »

I must have missed a post somewhere. Did any of you get anything from the Hero6 team? I posted over three months ago that I would be interested in finishing this for them (with the engine I wrote for QG1) and I got a very uninterested response saying that although he--forgot the guy's name--told us the project was probably dead, it could always just have been an exaggeration and that he doubted I would have finished it anyway. I suggested other forms for us to continue and got no further responses.
Erpy
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2009, 10:18:22 AM »

Converting a project to a completely different engine is actually closer to "restarting the project from square 1" than "finishing the project". (and I can see why people aren't eager to jump into that) That said, maybe the "twist of fate" Gronagor mentioned a few posts back was a recent event.

AGP
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2009, 07:07:40 PM »

So it seems. But what I had proposed was to do just that: to restart. I had written most of my engine and I wanted to put it to use when I read the proclamation that Hero6 was dead. I suggested I be allowed to do it all by myself, giving credit where it was due (for the artwork obviously and either the story ideas or the story itself depending on how far they got). I'm convinced I could've already done it by now. Then again, I was told they didn't have all the artwork at my desired 800x600 resolution. But hey, as long as the project lives I'm happy. I remember the very day Te'Ja started recruiting people for it 10 years ago.
Erpy
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2009, 05:21:53 AM »

No, the game itself is 320x240. Even if it HAD been at 800x600, I think if the project had been along so far that one single person could restart AND finish it all on his own in only a few months, it wouldn't have gotten itself in a rut. Very few projects go belly-up with the finish line in sight. So I think you underestimate the amount of work it'd take.

AGP
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2009, 06:18:11 AM »

Maybe so, but I could always scale its scope down. Make a short, coherent story that showed off my engine in an original game and made good use of the work that had been put into Hero6. And although I knew their intended resolution was 320x200, I figured most people wouldn't draw so low-res an image, they would draw them bigger then scale them down. Either way, the point is moot since, happily, they're back on track.
RDarkfire
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2009, 03:20:39 PM »

First-time poster; I've been a lurker on these forums for a number of years, glad to see a revitalizing post like this!  Grin

I'd be interested in helping out if I can, whoever is listening to these sort of requests.

I have a good coding background, a solid testing/QA background, decent musical composition skills I have acquired over the years, and an absolute LOVE for this series.

If anyone has any need for these on a "hardcore" level (or any other level for that matter!), feel free to hit me up : rune_darkfire at hotmail dot com.

Once again, great to see a thread like this.  Looking forward to hearing from... someone, whoever that may be.

Have a great day everyone...
-R.D.
KingWarman8888
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2009, 05:46:12 PM »

I like to join the team or at least help out  Smiley.

I took an Game Design course and am majoring in Game Design when I go to college next year. If you need any help, my MSN is Warman456@hotmail.com and my main e-mail is Warman8@gmail.com  Smiley.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: