Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Hero6 Discussion (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | |-+  Ideas to get this started again...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ideas to get this started again...  (Read 15564 times)
cutti05
Initiate

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2009, 01:44:44 AM »

I am a long time fan of the series.  Does anyone know any of the producers of Hero 6 personally, or at the least, know how to get in touch with any of them?  We need to get some official statements on the status of the game production.  Does anyone have any ideas on how we can publicize this and get the passion for these games flowing again?  Today's games just don't seem to have the same care and passion put into them as the QFG series.  Or maybe I'm just getting old...
deltamatrix
Global Moderator
Superhero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 11:05:26 PM »

ummm. i thought you needed special privileges to open threads here that appear on the front page!

Anyway, Hero6 is not being developed right now and seems to be on an indefinite hiatus. I am the lead programmer and currently in charge of uploading new internal alpha demos and I haven't been able to do any work on the damn game for a long time due to other life commitments. I am personally doubtful Hero6 will ever be complete as the passion and the interest within is gone.

Unfortunately the coles were the only ones to get the QFG formula right. But since QFG2VGA came out, i've noticed my interest in QFG suddenly fade. However I do believe that if Hero6 was ever released as it was meant to be, it'll be one fantastic game. But a true QFG styled game with a suitable plot is far more difficult that you realise.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 11:08:39 PM by deltamatrix » Logged

Hero6 lead programmer, technical advisor, plot and art worker.
Kaibuk2002
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 04:38:19 PM »

Im a long time fan of the series and am glad that the passion for this great series has lasted so long since the last game was released.  I understand that when there is a volonteer project that life can get a little hectic.  I applaude the effort made by the fans of the quest for glory series and only wish that I was a programer so that i could give more than vocalize my support.  Thank you, all of you for making an attempt to keep this saga or at least its spirit alive.
AGP
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 07:36:03 PM »

I tried sending this as a personal e-mail, but that effort seems to have crashed and burned. This might reach more members of Hero6 anyway:

Hello, I'm the sole programmer of a 2.5D RPG engine (3d characters and items, static 2d backgrounds) for which I'm building Quest for Glory I 2.5D in 800x600x24. Check out the newest preview I built: http://www.agpgames.com/QuestforGlory.html. I'm writing to ask two things: do you have the backgrounds in at least 800x600 resolution, and would you be willing to surrender them to me? I"m quite confident I could finish your game fairly quickly and all due credit will of course be given.
firion
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 08:52:57 PM »

Doesn't this site take donations??  It could probably help the programmers if there were donations, I think.  And I'm sure all the fans of this Great series would be more than willing to support the site, to try to get this Great game going again!!
fullofrye
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 05:17:03 AM »

my my i have followed this project for years,.seems every time i try to type i have to register, new board,
hopefully the wheels will turn once again to breath life onto these embers that they could shine again and warm our hearts
nice work agp as well
Paladin0707077
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 07:28:47 AM »

*gasp* New blood?! My goodness, I thought I was the only one left!

A "tips" jar does sound good. Hero6 is the original fan-based sequal project, and arguably one of the fore-fathers of the indie-game movement. It would be a shame, if for no other reason then pure stubbornness, that this game never saw completion.

On the managerial side, many innovations have been created on other fan-sites that Hero6 could take advantage of to help bring the game to completion.

The only real problem right now is finding some staff who are willing to

a) devote 1-2 dedicated hours a day/week toward development IN SPITE OF 10+ hour jobs, family and other obligations; essentially, it's like working out: if you block out the time, you won't be tempted to put it off and are less likely to not do it due to "no time this week".
b) work on the project in spite of the possibility of little to no payback (other then the intangibles of good experience and joy of creativity). Now that the economy is in the toilet, it will be a lot harder to find someone who is willing to do this voluntarily, when they could be doing other things like earning more money for emergencies/retirement or looking for a job.
c) provide real skills to the project. As wonderful and crucial as fan fervor and passion are, they are crippled without the competence to do the job needed. I suspect no small part of the significant delays over the years have been from having to debug and recreate messed up code/art/music/etc from well-meaning but inept rookies. True, it will be impossible for EVERYONE to be a Guru Master with 20+ years experience in their field, but we need to make sure that more then JUST the Head/Senior members are competent with their skills.
d) rustle up enough patience to see the project through for 2-4 years straight, possibly as many as 6 depending on the problems that arise.

As everyone can imagine, it's a significant problem to be overcome. I, myself, am a junior-level DBA with knowledge of SQL, SQR, some months experience in Java and (VERY little) C++, as well as some other miscellaneous languages, but I've never tried joining after my first time joining (several years ago) after realizing the requirements above.

So, how do we attract AND keep such people?

The Paladin: To seek, To learn, To do.
-quest board in QFG2

If I ever feel too down or over-inflated, all I have to do is remember one of two things: to the right of me, in some dimension, I am a king; to the left of me, in another dimension, I am a hanged man.
-ME!
UndergroundJazzman
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 02:18:56 AM »

I have no computer skills to speak of... but I can play music. I was under the impression that non-programming aspects were nearly finished. If not, and said momentum develops then I'm in. Otherwise I'd be happy to contribute to a tip jar and help publicize/force friends to play QFG.
lazygamer
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 11:06:10 PM »

Hello everyone I notice that this project is long dead but I've decided to post. I held out hope to the very end, but in the last year or so I've realized that the end is near and I accept that this project is deceased. This is my eulogy. Smiley

I've been involved in Hero6 for a long time, as a fan rather than as a developer. Well I did try my hand at developing but that didn't work out too well. Cheesy

I've seen it evolve over many years, it was an excellent project and it's a shame that it was never finished. Over the years there was lots of passion and enthusiasm and with better management, maybe this project could have been finished. Not that I want to point fingers, managing a massive volunteer team of this size is no easy task.

The AGS community has shown it's power, and small, insanely devoted teams have accomplished some amazing things. KQ1VGA, KQ2VGA+, QFG2VGA, Al Emmo, KQ3VGA, ATOTK and soon SQ2VGA(yes IA is that awesome I know they'll get it done). Not to mention the numerous short but good quality AGS games that are frequently being made. Hero6 had a burden bigger than any of these projects and it's no wonder it failed.

It's actually quite a shame that no one has managed to make an original QFG inspired game yet(not a remake). I remember other projects like SFLAH, Destiny, Hero of Odarin. Of these games it's a real shame that Destiny was never completed, it looked like it would have made an amazing game. There is actually one last hope, Corby is working on Heroine's Quest and that one has been around for awhile. I originally thought it would fail, since the project seemed to be stalling and I've grown so jaded over the years. But Corby is still alive and kicking and I have a little more respect for him now due to his tenacity. Go Corby! http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?topic=38124.

Q: When will it be released?
A: When it is done.

-Lazygamer on fangame cliches
deltamatrix
Global Moderator
Superhero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 11:44:02 AM »

Hero6 has failed largely due to poor plot management.

I believe that if there is some future for Hero6, but it will be in the form of an entirely different game. We should forget about Hero6 and move straight on to Hero7....sorta. If Hero6 is not released then graphical elements of Hero6 can be partially recycled for the new game.

lazygamer
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 03:20:03 AM »

Wait, wouldn't you be throwing away alot of good material besides graphics ie: puzzles, descriptions, dialogue, story?

deltamatrix
Global Moderator
Superhero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 12:02:33 PM »

As much as possible would be recycled to create the game. Something needs to be released.

Nice to still see you around Lazygamer.

lazygamer
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 09:08:57 PM »

Ah I see.

Well I'm still involved in the adventure game community, I even check Hero6 once in a bluemoon even though I don't post.

JackofAllTrades
Initiate

Shh, I'm a secret ninja.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 12:53:40 AM »

Hero6 has failed largely due to poor plot management.

I believe that if there is some future for Hero6, but it will be in the form of an entirely different game. We should forget about Hero6 and move straight on to Hero7....sorta. If Hero6 is not released then graphical elements of Hero6 can be partially recycled for the new game.

Wow, it hurts me to see this.  I remember when this game was first being conceptualized.  Still its good to see it in writing I guess.  What do you mean it failed due to poor plot management?

This is my first post by the way.

I don't actually look like Bruce Campbell, I just haven't picked a decent avatar yet.
Helio
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 01:04:42 PM »

It sad, very sad... Watching some years with hope, and in the end - only disappointment...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: