Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Game Development
| | |-+  Future Hero6 Projects (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | | |-+  Multiplayer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Multiplayer  (Read 5886 times)
ndcent168
Knight

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2005, 06:41:52 PM »

Most people were disappointed to hear that the Multiplayer aspect had been removed from QG5. The idea of adding multiplayer support to Hero6 has come up more than once. How would Multiplayer benifit Hero7? Most of the games have tasks that need to be done in order. If a second player were to complete some of them, wouldn't that throw off the order of the game?
lazygamer
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 08:02:16 PM »

-Game plays like normal, but new options for puzzle solving and events are available due to multiple players.

-Several players can take on different roles, and how they interact with each other and the gameworld will affect the plot of Hero7. Might be far too complex though.

-Using the gameworld as a backdrop for other types of gameplay modes that don't directly(or not at all!) follow the Hero7 plot but maybe can utilize locations, NPCs, puzzles etc. Some ideas: Team based warfare(with PvP combat, could be fun) stuff like capture the flag or territorial control, competition to be the first group/person to solve a randomized quest etc.

Q: When will it be released?
A: When it is done.

-Lazygamer on fangame cliches
Pwincess
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 04:29:46 AM »

IMO, hero7 should be multiplayer!   cheesy  
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 05:25:30 AM »

Agreed! We want Multiplayer!

ndcent168
Knight

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 05:50:12 AM »

Agreed! We want Multiplayer!
But how should it be implemented? The technical aspect is not a problem, but how would the quests differ? How would the game progress? What if a player leaves the game? Should it just be a MMORPG?

Personally, I would rather see it as a well-developed single player game than a poorly-concieved multiplayer game, and I'm sure the rest of you agree.  
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 05:57:36 AM »

I think an MMORPG is a bit too complex to implement for a free game.  Perhaps have it somewhere along the lines of Diablo2 mutliplayer, where each player has a Quest list which gets updated when he/she either gets a new quest or completes one. Once a quest is completed in that game, anyone who joins later won't be able to complete it and will have to join a new game to do so.  

ndcent168
Knight

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 06:02:28 AM »

The only problem with that is that if there is an item that is required to complete a sequencial quest, it may be unavailable.

Also, what would the advantage of having multiplayer be then? Both people would just be trying to accomplish the same tast, and even worse, they might each prevent each other from doing so.

ndcent168
Knight

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 06:08:19 AM »

The quests need to be specially designed with multiplayer in mind. Similar to killing the Hydra of QG5, there must be tasks that require more than one person, but could be completed with a AI Ally.

Lastly, it would need to be written to encourage competition between players as well as companionship.
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 06:14:58 AM »

The only problem with that is that if there is an item that is required to complete a sequencial quest, it may be unavailable.

That's not really a problem. The player can just start a new game and that quest item will be there. It's only a minor annoyance.

Both people would just be trying to accomplish the same tast, and even worse, they might each prevent each other from doing so.

That happens quite often in other online RPGs. It's quite ok with me. Players can choose to help or work against each other. It's makes the game realistic and challenging at the same time. As for the goal, I suppose as long as the player/s solve the main quest, they win the game.

Perhaps you could post some of your suggestions on what might work for a multiplayer adventure game.  

Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 07:04:52 AM »

I think multi-player would be a bad idea. While QFG5 was supposed to have it, thinking back, I think it would have made the game even worse.

ndcent168
Knight

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2005, 07:12:38 AM »

I think there is a way to implement it successfully, but it will be more work than it is worth. The only thing that would make it worth while, in addition to the actual game play, would be the virtual spit in the face of Sierra who couldn't manage to accomplish it.
Pwincess
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2005, 05:29:34 AM »

Well, a persistent world can easily be accomplished if Hero7 is built using nwn's.

Btw, Hero6 and Hero7 have nothing to do with Sierra.  As for QFG5, I believe that Sierra did the best that could considering their budget and also the technology available at the time.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 05:31:02 AM by Pwincess » Logged
ndcent168
Knight

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2005, 07:33:26 AM »

I am well aware that Hero6 and the future Hero7 are not affiliated with Sierra and judging by what is said by the Coles on Transolar.com, they did the best they could for the circumstances. They seemed to be as surprised by the inability to include multiplayer as the rest of the fan base was.

I also believe that they, above all others, would be proud to see some one able to succeed where they have failed as well. They were less than content with the work environment at and around Sierra at the time of production for QG5.
Pwincess
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2005, 07:59:47 AM »

It must have been very disappointing for them when they considered what they initially dreamed QFG5 to be and then compared those dreams with the final product...
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2005, 08:21:19 AM »

I think QFG and it's similars should be like The Elder Scrolls series. Dedicated to giving the best single-player.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: