Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Official Hero6 News (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | |-+  New Press Release
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Press Release  (Read 14219 times)
Servant
« on: May 05, 2007, 04:37:47 AM »

Message by Swift: The message below is no longer relevant.

Quote from: Servant
Read the new press release in our new press release section, return soon to keep up to date, and post your thoughts here.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 05:55:43 AM by Swift » Logged
jrl2222
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 06:10:35 AM »

Your links aren't working
Servant
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 06:40:26 AM »

The links should be fixed now.
lazygamer
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 07:06:26 AM »

Servant, I think you'll make an excellent project leader, your qualifications are really impressive.

The team is now undergoing restructuring and their untitled game is being reworked from the ground up.

So I'm wondering about what you mean by reworked, could you describe your plans for the game more in-detail or is that info off-limits to visitors?

Oh and why is the game untitled? Isn't Hero6 good enough?  Smiley

Q: When will it be released?
A: When it is done.

-Lazygamer on fangame cliches
Servant
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 07:44:35 AM »

Lazygamer,

These are questions that fans will want answers to and there will be additional press release as well as a new Q&A section that will help shine some light on these very soon.
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 05:02:14 AM »

Eight years to select a title. That's progress for you.

Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 05:49:18 AM »

Ok, Corsair, while I understand your frustration, this time I fully disagree with your statement. You don't know what the inner workings were and are thus only making assumptions.

New management implies a great deal of work and revisions, as the press release states, and Servant is doing an even greater deal of work for the project.

I don't get why you're being so aggressive, though, since you're definitely capable of stating your points in a civilized manner.

All I'm asking is for you to drop the sardonic tone, since everyone who doesn't know you might take it as ignorance/stupidity, which is not true.

These aren't the Idiot Forums. You're safe here.

One day I will bring peace to the world with my invincible Army of Mice

Striker
Programming Team
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 05:57:22 AM »

Honestly, I thought it was a rather clever remark, and I *do* have some idea of the inner workings of Hero6.
Yuri
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 06:15:12 AM »

Hmmm, ah well, a comment can be interpretated via various different ways, though I myself found it a little sarcastic.

There is quite a bit of progress being made, just that a lot of it is pretty much boring as well as technical stuff stuff. Files being reorganised, being relabelled, etc., etc. And things being improved in terms of techniques and quality.
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 10:22:18 PM »

Relax, I'm well aware you've been doing more in this time, Silverbolt. Eating donuts, drinking coffee, and photoshopping together Goatse with the Eye of Sauron.

Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 10:37:46 PM »

Actually...

1: I don't drink coffee.

2: I'm not American, we don't have doughnuts.

3: Wasn't me.

Thidj
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 01:38:11 AM »

Holy Cow. Get going... I mean, stop bugging and delete your own post if you want to stay to the top. Post counting is NOT so important. You're starting trouble and that's not the point of this forum I'm sure. That's the first thread I read from this website, supposedly official of the Hero's Quest serie. That's a bad sight for newcomers or just curious QFG players. I'll continue to read stuff in here and watch if something seems to be cool enough for my time. See you around.

Post edited ~Silv
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 07:38:01 AM by Silverbolt » Logged
Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 07:36:22 AM »

Now you need to be specific as to whom you are addressing (myself or Corsair) and what you are referring to in particular?

At any rate, it's ironic that you would say that this is "not a good sight for newcomers" while using a curse word (now deleted) in your post. Granted, I don't think we have a rules thread because we didn't need one under Swift. This will be remedied as soon as I can.

And please, refrain from obvious curse words in the future. Obscure references to more or less famous shock sites are one thing, but outright profanity is another. Smiley

Second
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 02:28:21 PM »

Hey guys - long story short, I've followed H6 for golly I don't know how long - probably for seven, eight years. Right about from the beginning. I was a young man and "you guys" (I'm sure there are few if any original members left here) and Fate of Atlantis 2 were at the top of the game. I guess I should apologize for not having an inclination to post before, but... I'm sure you all understand. Some of us are born to be lurkers...  Tongue

However, since there's clearly absolutely nothing to talk about around here anyway, I thought I'd stir up the beehive a tad. I noticed there was quite a bit of bickering earlier in this thread, and it is not on my agenda to quarrel or complain, just to bring up a few points I thought are important. The critique may come off as harsh to some of you, and for that I apologize, but even then I feel this is something that should be mentioned.

Namely, I'd like to know if there are there others who found the style and register of the most recent "press release" slightly misguided, to the point, really, where it can/could potentially damage the public's perception of the project? Phrases like "...appointed to the chief position of Creative Director in late fourth quarter of 2006" and "experience in managing online communities and some strong relationships with members of the gaming industry and media" definitely did not tickle my funny bone personally.

My point is this: Hero6 is not a commercial venture. You are not attempting to build capital by lubricating mindless worms like investors and publishers or trying to fool the public into thinking you have a really cool product for sale.

From what I understand, you wanted to inform the public of what was up. This is great, a positive change, especially when compared to the track record of the project. But I'm not sure this was the right way of doing it. I'm 100% sure that what you want is to tap into the goodwill and interest of your closest, most immediate fans. Some of these are going to be aware of the very competitive indie gaming community, some are not. In either case, hubristic "Press releases" in a commercial register, as far as I see it, are not going to work.

Let me elaborate: Why, exactly, are companies like Telltale or Valve so successful? They are hands-on and well-grounded. They send you little notes about what is going on, they have blogs: In other words, they utilize immediacy and friendliness. Thus, instead of emulating the scheming menace and alienating facelessness of the "corporate" gaming industry (Sony, EA, modern-day LucasArts), please embrace your humble beginnings and historical presence as a seminal community venture.

So what I'm essentially saying here is, right now you guys are coming off way too professional for your own good. Tone it down a notch guys, show us a background sketch, mumble a little about what's going on behind the scenes. That's what everybody does - and should do, in my own view. The difference between good PR and bad PR in the indie community is, you need to know when to speak and when to stay silent Smiley
PHattiE
Administrator
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 09:09:08 PM »

So what I'm essentially saying here is, right now you guys are coming off way too professional for your own good. Tone it down a notch guys, show us a background sketch, mumble a little about what's going on behind the scenes. That's what everybody does - and should do, in my own view. The difference between good PR and bad PR in the indie community is, you need to know when to speak and when to stay silent Smiley

You said it man.  I hate game projects that take themselves too seriously.  Anyone with an interest and enough time can make an adventure game now days.  Issuing "press releases" just makes you sound self conceited and special.  Truth is, we're just a bunch of geeks that want to make a "quest for glory"ish adventure game.  I don't know why anyone would see the need to trumpet on about any specific member's abilities to the visitors.

The problem with projects and open memberships, is that you get a wide variety of different people who have different ideas about how things should be done.  The "creative dictator" who wrote that press release was booted from the team some months ago.  I feel like we've come back down to earth now that he's gone, but I think the project has never been in such a disarray.  There is virtually NO public communication between the team anymore (the member's site is no longer used).  At the same time, work is definitely being done by some dedicated members... that work is shared privately now between select few over IM. 

I blame the lack of public communication on distrust.  You can never tell the quality of each member.  Some members are so inexperienced with game development that they end up focusing on things not important to the game, or desire to recreate or rework things already completed to please their own interests.  If you bring on a plot person, how do you know they aren't going to start writing completely lame, complicated, boring stuff?  Or artists that insist on putting clashing 3d renderings in our established 2d environment? or programmers who want to rewrite the game in a different engine? etc.  Large projects get complicated and do require some form of leadership.  Unfortunately, there are some leaders who like to toot their own horn rather than bring substance to the table.

One thing for sure though is that hero6 is getting back on track.  Though, my guess is that until the game has progressed further and has started to re-materialize again, it might be a little quiet in the visitors forums...  Especially now that we don't have the members around who like to issue press releases about themselves.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: