Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Official Hero6 News (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | |-+  April fools
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: April fools  (Read 8655 times)
Esquire
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2005, 03:49:20 PM »

Swift, you're right, I do visit these forums.  Hehe

Eh, he'll have to get over you getting hit on by a 17 year old russian kid, whats he to do, kill me? Ha, right, I'll got the AK way on him, all it would take is one phone call.
Jigen
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2005, 04:05:02 PM »

I see your Ak and raise you one shotgun.

Try me boy

I fricken' dare ya!  fighter
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 03:32:35 PM by Swift » Logged

Set a match alight, and a man will be warm for a minute.
Set a man on fire and he\'ll be warm the rest of his life.
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2005, 06:26:23 PM »

Ok guys, if you want to fight, please proceed to the "RP Battle Topic" in the RP forums. We're getting off-topic here. Tongue

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok guys, here's the story you've been waiting for.

Back then, when I was a visitor, I've always wanted to see the Hero6 team play some sort of April Fools prank on the community. AGDI and Blizzard came up with pretty good April Fools jokes, but Hero6 never did come up with any. The closest thing we had to a prank was done by a guest visitor, who posted that Hero6 was cancelled a few years back. No prizes for guessing if anyone believed it. So, when I joined the team at the end of last year, I finally had the chance to give the community what I never had as a visitor.

After discussing possible April Fools pranks with Pwincess via MSN on 28 Feb, I made my humble suggestion in the members forum. I wanted a simple, yet silly prank for the Hero6 visitor community (think Blizzard pranks), but when Gron suggested having all the sister projects organize one huge yet serious prank, we knew that we just had to do it. It was just too good an idea to pass up.

I contacted a number of adventure game project representatives, while Gron asked AGDI if they were interested in participating (AGDI declined, btw). It was during this time that we found out that IA was also interested in doing an April Fools joke as well, so we joined forces.

Coco set up a private forum for us to brainstorm on ideas as we still hadn't decided on a prank. Radiant suggested that we make an announcement about the participating teams merging our games to form an even bigger game and the idea just evolved from there. Gron came up with the idea of having a playable demo to make the "announcement" look authentic.

While Gron and Scott worked on the game art, and Coco worked on the scripting, the teams were also discussing on how we were going to promote the "game". At first we thought of just dropping hints of something big coming up in a number of forums, but Cain later came up with this wicked idea of him going on IA bashing in the forums for  "being kicked out of the team" and dropping hints that way without people suspecting it. It sounded pretty cool, so we all agreed to it. Cain was supposed to hint about a merger, my role was to "calm" him down, and Bromios was to handle damage control, especially when Cain drops the "big bomb". Meanwhile, we dropped hints in a number of topics. Do any of these look familiar to you?

http://visitors.hero6.com/forums/index...st=0&#entry6275
http://www.agdiforums.com/forum/viewtopic....p=161483#161483
http://www.agdiforums.com/forum/viewtopic....t=9478&start=37
http://visitors.hero6.com/forums/index...t=15&#entry6636
http://www.agdiforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9648&start=5

By mid-March, the spam in the Hero6 forums was becoming a serious problem and so I discussed with Gron about what we should do about it. Gron suggested closing down the forums temporarily and have them re-opened on 2 April, since we were all too busy at that time to deal with the spam, and then later suggested inviting Cain over to spam our forums as soon as his banishment took place as part of the prank. This was to give us an excuse to shut down the forums temporarily.

Plot work for the game itself hadn't really started yet as nobody had volunteered to do it. The only thing that was done was an introduction, written by Radiant, and a quest idea by Brassfire. Scott decided to work on both plot and art, but I feared that it might be too much for her to handle, and so offered to help out in that area. Klytos also volunteered, and both of us worked on the first outline. The next day, Striker, Scott and I discussed the plot and quests in the ex-hero6 chat room. (If any of you tried to enter that chat room during that time but couldn't, it was because I had changed the password to prevent anyone from accidentally listening to our prank discussions. The password's been changed back, btw). After that, Striker and Brass got to work on finalizing the plot and quests.

On the first night of the "spam attacks", I was asleep, and all ###### broke loose, as witnessed by Jafar and Corsair. What we didn't expect was for PHattiE to suddenly turn up and deal with Cain. PHattiE didn't know about the prank, and had no idea that he wasn't dealing with a real spammer. As soon as Coco got wind of what was happening, he contacted PHattiE to stop him. By then, Cain's IP address was revealed and Corsair had verified with Navynuke that it was Cain's. Cain didn't want to be revealed as the spammer so soon, and so we had to come up with a cover-up. That's how the idea of claiming that the spammer spoofed IP addresses came about, and Corsair was dragged into it. For the other nights of "spam attacks", I had to stay up to 3-4am in order to supervise everything. Cain dropped even more hints about the merger.

Yuri later came to learn of the spam plan, and surprised me later on with its Star Wars "handiwork". Yes folks,Yuri was the Star Wars Spammer. As soon as it had its fun with the spamming, I asked it to help out with the game dialogues.

Work on the voice acting started once Brassfire and Striker finished most of the dialogues. By then, we had about a week before 1 April. We practically rushed with everything to get the game done, and had very little time to test the game properly.

Eventually, Cain dropped the bomb in the AGDI forums, only to have it backfired! AGD 2 deleted that post and had him banned for it. Fortunately, Erpy helped us to inform the other admins that it was part of the prank, and so Cain was un-banned and allowed to post it again.

You pretty much know the rest of the story.

I'd like to thank everyone who was involved in the SSS project, and would like to offer a custom title in appreciation for your efforts. Please let me know what title you'd like and I'll make the changes for you. It has been fun working with all of you.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 03:38:39 PM by Swift » Logged

Paladin0707077
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2005, 06:48:34 PM »

At first, like everyone else, I was totally zinged. Hero6 and IA comining forces along with Code Kat? I was mad enough to ALMOST start posting again in defiance. :angry:
Then more facts started going out and I got suspicious. It finally hit me when I was just staring at the PC and happened to notice my calender, which I flip early so i won't have to remember it later. I smacked my head so hard I nearly blacked out. This was about the time that Cain started spamming, which only confirmed my suspicions (too many weird things happening around April 1, when I happen to know that forums usually love pulling this stuff.) blink  
After that, every time I read more of the "news", I'd laugh so hard, my chair would nearly fall over. laugh

I want my cookie as a double chocolate chip sandwich cookie with vanilla icing in the middle. And wrapped in a bag so I can eat it in the park, too. Cheeky wink  

The Paladin: To seek, To learn, To do.
-quest board in QFG2

If I ever feel too down or over-inflated, all I have to do is remember one of two things: to the right of me, in some dimension, I am a king; to the left of me, in another dimension, I am a hanged man.
-ME!
Esquire
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2005, 09:34:21 PM »

I?d like to thank everyone who was involved in the SSS project, and would like to offer a custom title in appreciation for your efforts. Please let me know what title you?d like and I?ll make the changes for you. It has been fun working with all of you.

I'll let you choose me one you think is fitting, Swifty.  After all, I don't think IA consulted you about becomign The Mistress of Pain, though you've done a very "smashing" job of it.
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2005, 09:35:25 PM »

I don't suppose the custom titles are gonna be coming to the people who got special attention by this joke. I.e, me. I'm a selfish little mongrel with little greed gears constantly spinning in my invincible mind, twisting out Dark Plots and Plans. As well as some extra ingredients for sandwiches.

On a debatably somewhat more serious point, You're a devious woman, Swift. I'd buy you a lunch if you weren't a couple thousand miles away.

Raito
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2005, 12:20:12 AM »

Darth Vader... I am your father!!!!  Cheesy

Just... joking.  rolleyes

You know... Swift.. you forgot to add in the fact that I'm a natural-born prankster!!! Being a devil in disguise, when you approached me to help out in the spamming, , I decided to have some fun on everyone elses' expense!!!!

Incidentally, I wrote up most of this apology that was the first post of this thread. The rest was added by Scott. Tongue
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 01:21:19 AM by yuri » Logged
Jafar
Famous Adventurer

New Age Retro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2005, 12:56:10 AM »

I knew something was up with SSS and HOIK, but the spamming got me fooled.
*Gives the SSS members Jester Hats of Foolery*
You earned them. This is one of the biggest pranks I've seen.

Jarada Knight: The Honorable Marshmallow
Esquire
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2005, 12:56:21 AM »

Why in disguise, yuri? Screw disguises. You people only think my name is Cain Aleksandrovich, just wait until the world really knows me. I'll be called by my birth name then, =Lucifer Morningstar.
Raito
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2005, 01:20:54 AM »

Why in disguise, yuri? Screw disguises. You people only think my name is Cain Aleksandrovich, just wait until the world really knows me. I'll be called by my birth name then, =Lucifer Morningstar.
HEY!!!!! I'm Lucifiel... how dare you... you imposter!!!!!!!!  :angry:  
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2005, 01:32:05 AM »

I'll let you pick a custom title, Cain, since I can't really decide on one. Lucifer Morningstar, Prank Master, or a title of your choice?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: