Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Offtopic Mayhem (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | |-+  Modern Adventure Games
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Modern Adventure Games  (Read 1805 times)
Rulic
Squire

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2006, 04:17:59 PM »

I have a general question about some of the newer pure adventure games out there.  I've noticed that most of the threads on newer PC games have been focusing on RPGs (Oblivion, NWN, WoW, etc.).
Has anyone been playing, or at least keeping up with games like The Longest Journey, the Myst series, or even the CSI games?
I was reading up on Gamespot the other day about an upcoming sequel to The Longest Journey called Dreamfall.  I took a look at some of the videos and it seems to be pretty promising.
On one note, the last pure adventure game I played was Missing: Since January.  This game is quite remarkable for the reason that it gives you a sense of actually trying to solve a real mystery.  In the beginning, you give an email address to the game and during the course of the game, you get real emails sending you clues to decipher strange puzzles on a strange CD-ROM that the kidnapper sent to investigators.  Its one of those games you don't want to play in the middle of the night or else you'll be checking under the bed before calling it a night.
All in all, I'd probably call the game more of a puzzle game or even a "1st Person Adventure", like Myst, The Journeyman Project, or Mission Critical.  But the focus of the game wasn't combat, but solving little riddles like you did in the lands of Glorianna.
So, on that note, if any of you have been diving into these games lately, I'd like to hear about your experiences with them.  I figure some of us would have a hint of whats going on since we are, or at least have been big adventure fans.
If anything, I'm hoping this post will kick up some interest in the genre we reminisce from its "golden age" and look at whats going on today.
Reish Vedaur
Plot Team
Adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 11:19:20 PM »

This isn't necessarily a response to your question, but I think it still fits a bit...  I have never played games based on genre.  I typically play games based on merit and preference.  I loved Quest for Glory for its combination of intelligence, humor, character development and even combat.

For the most part, if a game doesn't have a real struggle, I can't get into it unless it's pointedly obvious from the start that the story is really something you can get involved in; thus, I've never played any of the Myst games.

Basically, I feel like they are making the adventure games the way they are to spite the other parts of the industry that say that all games have to have action.  Instead of making a fully-formed story and then forming the game and all its elements around it, they find an engine that will support enough of what they're thinking about doing to satisfy, and then write the story to fit inside of its limitations.

Rulic
Squire

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 05:31:51 AM »

*nod*
Look at this.
Or this.
This game I've personally played and had a blast with the story.
Just a couple of examples of the color out there for pure adventure.  There's a few more around.
I tend to choose by genre when I know I'm either not in the mood to take the sword and hack at baddies for hours.  I also choose by genre when I'm in the mood to rule or conquer a civilization with a beer in my hand or climbing into a cockpit and whether or not you have weapons to fire or just flying around.
Merit is one thing, but that's not what I'm getting at.  I'm trying to get to the point of are there any pure adventure games that anyone might know of that has caught their attention, whether it be good or bad.
Reish Vedaur
Plot Team
Adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 08:15:08 AM »

Forgot about Syberia.  I never played the whole game, but I enjoyed the demo immensely.

Rulic
Squire

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 10:31:51 AM »

I almost forgot to mention this.
I hate to spread rumors, but guess what could be in the making!!!
In the making to 'hit the road' again.
Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 01:03:22 PM »

Yeah, Sam and Max 2...

Anyway, The Longest Journey is STILL my most favorite pure-Adventure game. Ever.

<3 April

One day I will bring peace to the world with my invincible Army of Mice

Rulic
Squire

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 10:49:18 AM »

Just bought Syberia at Wallyworld for $10.
I was going to get the sequel but I read some reviews saying it was a dissapointment.

Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 10:33:09 PM »

Besides, The Elder Scrolls is a blend of Adventure game and RPG. Granted, it doesn't have most of the trademarks of adventure games, like ridiculous item puzzles where you pick a lock with a scapel, but you DO explore and adventure in it.

EvilSandwich
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 06:37:00 AM »

I've been closely watching the press for Dreamfall since I first heard the rumors 3 years ago. The Longest Journey was one of the most fun and beautiful adventure games I have ever played. Not to mention that The Flipper is the most awesome NPC... ever. I've replayed that game over and over again just to talk with him.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 06:38:36 AM by EvilSandwich » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: