Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Offtopic Mayhem (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | |-+  SQ3 Did not receive a C&D
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SQ3 Did not receive a C&D  (Read 1828 times)
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2005, 10:25:29 AM »

[edit on 12.10.05] The announcement by Alias is a hoax. There was no C&D. He basically told a shameless lie to the adventure gaming community. I've removed this from the KQIX topic in order not to pollute it

(Original post)
It appears that fan remakes are in the same amount of danger as fan spin-offs.

(Taken from http://planetwilco.com/welcome.htm)

SPACE QUEST 3 REMAKE SHUT DOWN!

09-OCTOBER-2005 :: SQ3R Shut Down!

It is with great sadness that we announce that Space Quest 3 Remake has been shut down. We have been working on this fan game for about 2 years now, and it has been great to work with such a talented team such as this. We are so grateful for all your support and keeping our spirits high while creating this game with the utmost love and care. After Kings Quest IX being shut down, I never thought it would happen to us, but we all know all fan made games are in some degree of danger of being shut down.

Since this project is shut down, I am sure all of you would like to see what we've been doing behind the scenes. Concept art & 3R art can be found fellow, Thank you all for your support it's really been a blast. We've made good progress and Im just sad to see it all go, not to mention the trailer was almost finished. We don't want to fight Vivendi Universal because we don't stand a chance, so we have decided to simply let this one go. May Space Quest forever fill your memories. Please spread the word if you can. If you whish to talk about this event, please visit THIS AGDI thread.

Thank you all,-The Team
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 12:50:25 PM by Swift » Logged

Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 01:30:40 AM »

Yeah, I can just say the word and he'll do it, except I want to wait for further developments first.

If you read the rest of the pages, it appears that the C&D for SQ3 remake is either a hoax, or a shameless lie.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 10:46:37 AM by Swift » Logged

Brassfire
Music Admin
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 06:10:44 PM »

Reposted from elsewhere, not written by me.

CONFIRMED BEYOND QUESTION:

The SQ3 "cease and desist" was a lie.

Khaveen, the director of the project, has publicly stated that he never received any such letter, and that he told Alias (who is also known as "Rog" and "Robin") to close the project because of lack of progress.

Alias then decided to take advantage of the c&d received by KQIX... and lied to the entire gaming community, stating that Khaveen had received a c&d. Since he was the webmaster of the SQ3 site, he took down the site entirely when asked to provide proof of his statement. He continued to lie even in the face of some tough questions and some scepticism shown towards him by fellow members of the team and others.

This needs to be made as public as Alias's statement that they'd been closed down by VU.

His motive? We can only guess, since Alias has not posted since Khaveen exposed the lie for what it is. But the likeliest explanation is that he thought this was a way to gain sympathy, and to excuse the lack of progress without having simply to say, "We overestimated our resources and we're not going to continue."

So there isn't a sudden rash of projects receiving a C&D letter from VU, only projects with set release dates and definite copyright infringement.

"A dragon is not going to care if you are gay or not. They are going to eat you anyway."
~Brassfire the Mage~
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 06:36:51 PM »

Slap Alias next time you see him.

Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 01:21:38 AM »

Topics merged.

Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 03:56:38 AM »

Actually, Alias is probably gonna be vanished for a long time. I doubt we'll ever see him again by that name.

Ghost_Rider
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 03:14:44 AM »

Maybe he'll come back as "Alibi"... or "No Alibi"?   rolleyes  
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 03:33:57 AM »

What about Psuedonym?

Sirus
Squire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 04:25:41 AM »

This reminds me of a Zelda fangame. It was a project to make LOZ:64 into a 2D game, using Link to the Past graphics.

The project eventually ended, claiming it was closed down by Nintendo. In fact, the team gave the project up it was so massive, but didn't want to disappoint their fans (which happened once the lie was exposed).

Current Project:Hero of the Rune My QFG Fangame!
Current Status: Working on plot and a design document before getting in over my head.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: