Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Offtopic Mayhem (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | |-+  KQIX Project Shut Down
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: KQIX Project Shut Down  (Read 13825 times)
Rulic
Squire

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2005, 12:11:30 AM »

Amen!  Brotha!

Cannot be explained better.
And I agree on QFG2VGA.....just please....let them get it out in time!
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2005, 02:13:09 AM »

I'm not sure if sending an email would work, but I think it's worth a shot. There has been instances where petitions did work. QFG5 is an example where Sierra gave in to the fans' request.

Striker
Programming Team
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2005, 04:41:07 AM »

AGDI claims to have an agreement with VU to continue their work.  I don't understand this in the least.  But I am happy that they are allowed to do so, because I hope to play QFG2VGA in the future.
Maybe AGD1 granted them a few favors in exchange for a few favors, if you know what I mean Wink

(though, that may be more AGD2's thing...) Cheesy
Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2005, 06:07:30 AM »

There's one thing corporations fear. Bad publicity and angry mobs.

Ok, two things.

Both of them are fairly easy to create...

One day I will bring peace to the world with my invincible Army of Mice

Outchanter
Music Team
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2005, 07:23:29 PM »

Erpy said this on the KQIX forums:

If AGDI would have done a sequel, we'd have been shut down. No sequels or spin-offs... We basically got that straight from the horse's mouth.

So remakes of old games isn't a problem (yet), but creating KQ IX is, maybe because Vivendi will want to do a KQ IX of their own.

*turns off objective voice and...* :'(  :'(  :'(

Ye find yeself in yon dungeon. Ye see a flask.

What wouldst thou deau?
Storm
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2005, 09:43:10 PM »

VU can't find anything conclusive on this site that links it to Quest for Glory, except for a lot of fans for QFG, the fact that it is similar in style...
From what I've seen in the demo and around the site, there are plenty of similarities and allusions to QFG - same basic premise, similar spells/battle/dialogue interface and that big, unavoidable "quest for more glory" title (not to mention the very name "Hero6" is bluntly hinting it's a continuation of the 5 previous installments).

Now you can jump up and say "Hey, but "Hero6" isn't a Sierra/Vivendi owned trademark. I have every right to call my game that, use whatever tagline I want and make a game with some similarities to QFG, as long as I'm not directly infringing their copyright".
You may even be right. But all this is irrelevent - what's relevent is whether Vivendi thinks your game is an infringment of their copyrights. They don't need to take you to court and prove their point, they don't even need to argue it with you. The sad fact is, all they need do is send you a Cease & Desist letter, as simple as that. They don't need to actually sue anyone - even if the Hero6 team is 100% sure they're not infringing, they would most likely fold under the threat of a prospective lawsuit, since they won't have the resources to fight it up in court for a game they don't get paid for anyways.

What's my point here? that you shouldn't be too complacent. The sword is hanging over your heads as well Sad
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2005, 12:22:27 AM »

If they said no spinoffs, QFI is shot dead. However..Hero6 won't be shut down. Why am I so sure? It's quite easy. VU has no authority over us. We're neither a remake, nor a sequel, nor a spinoff. VU wouldn't send us a C&D, because they have no jurisdiction. No Judge in his right mind would allow this to go to court. Besides...what's VU going to take us to court on? Copyright Infringement? Where?  

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2005, 12:40:25 AM »

People as I've said to many others.  It doesn't matter what your educated guess is.  Yes there is a big chance that emails won't work but they could.  It takes 5 freaking minutes to send them one.  Just do it, you aren't all knowing, there is a chance it could work and you have nothing to lose.
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2005, 01:16:15 AM »

Storm, the "Quest for MORE Glory" tagline is outdated and was suppose to have been replaced a long time ago. The game's name is "Rite of Passage", and that tagline from the first page will be replaced as soon as PHattiE gets around to editing it.

As for the other alleged similarities, the "same basic premise" and interface happens to be something that other games use as well, so VU can't claim to own that. They don't even own the title "Hero's Quest", and Hero6 is a generic title, so we are fairly safe.

And if the time comes that VU mistakenly sends us a C&D, we will deal with it, because our game does not infringe on their copyright, and they can't prove that it does.

Like PHattiE said, our team did anticipate getting shut down by VU, so we made every effort to remove whatever references there are to QFG. Hero6 is an original game. Thanks for your concern though.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 08:16:28 AM by Swift » Logged

Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2005, 02:57:25 AM »

Actually, we do have something to lose by sending them an email. Five wasted minutes of our lives.

Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2005, 04:57:12 AM »

5 minutes of your life is negligible. It's not a waste of your time if it could benefit the adventure gaming community. Like I said in AGDI forums, as long as there are possible options to explore, why not seize the opportunity and explore them? If you don't succeed, at least you've tried, but if you do succeed, this could benefit the adventure gaming community. Of course, you are free to make that choice.

Brassfire
Music Admin
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2005, 07:04:22 AM »

I was definately interested in playing kq9, but IMO, after seeing that teaser movie, I don't feel like we're missing out much.  Maybe it is just me, but the movie clip was so horifically cheesy, I was embarrased to be seen watching it.
Ehhh, have you played QFG or KQ lately? Cheese is rather essential to the early adventure games' ambience. Therefore, cheese is important in a fangame.

Have a look at the copyright at the bottom of AGDI's website, and you'll see how they are allowed to keep making remakes. Pity KQ9 can't do the same thing if it is true enough to KQ.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 07:07:09 AM by Swift » Logged

"A dragon is not going to care if you are gay or not. They are going to eat you anyway."
~Brassfire the Mage~
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2005, 06:08:31 PM »

I say we hire a professional Ninja to sneak inside VU HQ and steal the copyright papers for all the Quest games.

Jafar
Famous Adventurer

New Age Retro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2005, 11:46:22 PM »

Just get Jigen to do it for free. Tongue  

Jarada Knight: The Honorable Marshmallow
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2005, 12:02:35 AM »

Since when did Jigen do anything for free?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: