Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Offtopic Mayhem (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | |-+  KQIX Project Shut Down
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: KQIX Project Shut Down  (Read 13807 times)
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2005, 03:00:36 AM »

It's official. They've received a C&D from VU a few days ago. They've announced today that they're shutting down. You can read the details here.

Anyone care to guess what this means for the other fan-game projects out there?

Rulic
Squire

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 04:19:59 AM »

Vivendi is currently rereleasing the King's Quest, Police Quest, Space Quest and Leisure Suit Larry Collections now available for pre-order on Amazon.com.

I'm no expert, but if your fan game has nothing to do with the above titles listed, I'm guessing you're okay.  I'm thinking that since VU is trying to squeeze a few more clams from those titles, then they'd do a bit of house cleaning before doing so.  Looks like QFG fan games may slip through the cracks.

I am however excited about the Space Quest collection!!!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 04:22:13 AM by Rulic » Logged
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 04:22:26 AM »

Dirty slime, I can't believe it! VU will have time to ponder this folly as they are devoured by worms and disease in the Hell of Burrowing Maggots...

Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 04:31:23 AM »

Vivendi is currently rereleasing the King's Quest, Police Quest, Space Quest and Leisure Suit Larry Collections now available for pre-order on Amazon.com.

I'm no expert, but if your fan game has nothing to do with the above titles listed, I'm guessing you're okay.  I'm thinking that since VU is trying to squeeze a few more clams from those titles, then they'd do a bit of house cleaning before doing so.  Looks like QFG fan games may slip through the cracks.

I am however excited about the Space Quest collection!!!
Rulic, we're not a fan-game project. Hero6 is an original game.

Striker
Programming Team
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 04:34:31 AM »

Oh really? huh

Well, the story is original, but there were direct references to QFG in the game (last I checked).  However, those references could be be easily remedied without radically changing the game.  If Vivendi went after H6, it would be standing on very shakey ground.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 04:36:03 AM by Striker » Logged
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 04:42:10 AM »

VU can't find anything conclusive on this site that links it to Quest for Glory, except for a lot of fans for QFG, the fact that it is similar in style...I have never once seen it said that this is even a spiritual successor by anyone with any degree of power...forgive me if I am wrong, Swift, Pwincess, it wasn't intentional.

Rulic
Squire

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 05:18:40 AM »

Well, I realize it's an original game, per se, but its still a fan "based" game.  That's what I thought what we were talking about.  Oopsy.
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 10:05:42 AM »

Oh really? huh

Well, the story is original, but there were direct references to QFG in the game (last I checked).  However, those references could be be easily remedied without radically changing the game.  If Vivendi went after H6, it would be standing on very shakey ground.
I think those references were removed a while ago, last time I checked.

[edit] Yup, they've been removed some months ago.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 10:28:46 AM by Swift » Logged

Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 10:09:43 AM »

I hate corporations. "Hey, I'm bored."

"Me too. Wanna go pick on the indies?"

"Hell yeah!"

One day I will bring peace to the world with my invincible Army of Mice

Striker
Programming Team
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 01:27:00 PM »

I think those references were removed a while ago, last time I checked.

[edit] Yup, they've been removed some months ago.
Well, what do you know? They finally listen to me several years after I make that point. Tongue rolleyes
PHattiE
Administrator
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 06:06:40 PM »

Well my opinion on this is somewhat mixed.  Kq9 really was the most ambitious of the Sierra fan creations.  If anything, kq9 threatened VU's copyright holdings the most.

I kind of get the impression that VU likes to wait and see if a project has a chance of succeeding before they shut it down.  It's as if VU doesn't want the bad rep unless it's absolutely necessary.  If VU shut projects down when they were getting started, VU would be known as jerks for closing so many...  Not that it'd hurt their reputation any.

I was definately interested in playing kq9, but IMO, after seeing that teaser movie, I don't feel like we're missing out much.  Maybe it is just me, but the movie clip was so horifically cheesy, I was embarrased to be seen watching it.  

Hero6 has absolutely nothing to worry about.  Origianally, hero6 WAS suppose to be a "quest for glory 6".  The very reason we went in the direction that we did is BECAUSE we anticipated VU shutting us down.  

KQ9, and all other fan projects should have realized the risk they were taking in the first place.  Companies need to protect their intellectual rights.  I don't blame VU at all for their choice in shutting down the project, tho I am disapointed that I won't be able to see what kq9 turned out like.

koko_99_2001
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 09:30:46 PM »

I've already sent an email to Vivendi. This is the email I was told to use. PLEASE send those emails and show them your support for the continuation of KQ IX:

games.comments@vugames.com  
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2005, 09:42:50 PM »

We could get a million signatures and VU wouldn't budge, my friend.

Rulic
Squire

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2005, 10:44:05 PM »

We could get a million signatures and VU wouldn't budge, my friend.
Wow....I agree.
Yeah....an online petition is like monopoly money to companies.
PHattiE
Administrator
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2005, 10:52:23 PM »

'fraid I agree with Corsair5.

Honestly, the best thing for pheonix studios is to design and build their own game from scratch.

I would be greatly surprised if VU gave a flying flip that a group of kings quest 9 followers were angry.  VU isn't a development shop, they are a distributor.  The owners of VU are interested in keeping their intellectual property in tact (Sierra's intellectual property is, afterall, the very reason VU acquired Sierra Online).  It is business smarts to stop violators of their copyright so that they can exhaust that avenue in the future.

Pheonix studio also has no chance of selling their work to VU, since their work was unauthorzied, not done by a professional organization, and would require support by VU.  The support alone would not be in VU's best financial interest.

The real shocker to me is why VU closed down Pheonix Studios and not AGDI.  AGDI's work has probably damaged VUs chances of reselling Sierra's classics, since AGDIs versions are available to the public for free and are (arguably) better than the originals.  AGDI claims to have an agreement with VU to continue their work.  I don't understand this in the least.  But I am happy that they are allowed to do so, because I hope to play QFG2VGA in the future.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 10:54:26 PM by PHattiE » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: