Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Hero6 Role Playing Stories (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | |-+  RPS polls
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: RPS polls  (Read 8940 times)
Jigen
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2005, 01:47:55 AM »

Actually it was very different. Even in QFG 1, 3 & 5 there was a greater strategic element and at least you weren't wondering mindlessly for hours in between fights.

Set a match alight, and a man will be warm for a minute.
Set a man on fire and he\'ll be warm the rest of his life.
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2005, 03:12:43 AM »

Oh, yes. Rapidly clicking or pressing a button. That's greatly strategic.

Jigen
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2005, 01:51:46 PM »

It was still better than Morrowind.

Jafar
Famous Adventurer

New Age Retro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2005, 02:16:55 PM »

Oh, yes. Rapidly clicking or pressing a button. That's greatly strategic.
There was strategy in those games. Waiting for the enemy to lower their defenses in QFG1, moving in range in QFG4, etc.

Jarada Knight: The Honorable Marshmallow
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2005, 04:22:32 PM »

In 1Old, 2, 3, and 5, it was click or press button. Only in 4 and 1new was there a semblance of strategy.

Striker
Programming Team
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2005, 05:10:51 PM »

I actually have to agree with Corsair for once.  I would say that Morrowind's combat was better than HQ and about the same level as 3 and 5.  I haven't played enough of 2 to make a judgement call.  Both 4 and 1vga were fairly good.  Though, in 1vga, if your character was powerful enough, you could just stand there and hack away at the enemy... just like Morrowind.

There were a few battles in Morrowind (especially plug-ins) that require strategy.  I know Gaenor in Tribunal is one tough mofo.  He hit too hard to stand and beat him up and his luck was so high that I couldn't hit him arrows, so I actually had to use a spear to bring him down, staying just out of his range.

Playing as a werewolf added some interesting twists.  Having super speed, stealth, and acrobatic ability (but low armor) added some new elements where hit, hide, and run tactics were sometimes necessary.

I also remember that early in the game that in order to beat some of the tougher creatures, I would use levitate, then pummel them with arrows or fireballs from the air.  Arrows were better since magic was seriously underpowered in that game.

But yeah, the combat engine in Morrowind was generally crappy.  They're supposedly making it much better in Oblivion.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 05:13:09 PM by Striker » Logged
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2005, 06:07:37 PM »

Hopefully. That was the only weak point of Morrowind, and if they shore that up in Oblivion, then it could easily be in my top five favorite games.

Striker
Programming Team
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2005, 07:01:34 PM »

Some people didn't like the vastness of Morrowind, but personally, I loved it.  I remember NPC AI being another problem with the game and I believe they are addressing that issue too.  As I said earlier, I also hope they rebalance weapons vs. magic.  I played a Nightblade, but I hardly ever used destructive magic because it was so weak.
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2005, 01:07:20 AM »

Yeah, they're definitely adressing AI. Like, the best AI in the history of computers.

It's called Radiant AI. Essentially, each of the NPCs has a life. Really. They'll walk around, go buy stuff, gossip with other townsfolk. I mean, I think they'll do about everything that you can possibly think of. Even brawl.

Magic is being adressed as well, though at the moment, God only knows how.

Jigen
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2005, 01:46:07 PM »

It wasn't so much the vastness of the game that I didn't enjoy but the directionless feel of it. Yeah you could do anything and explore anywhere, but to me that just means it's pointless. I didn't feel like i was achieving anything. I bought it, played it obsessivle for three days, then put the controller down and felt no inclination whatsoever to take it up again.

Striker
Programming Team
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2005, 04:28:51 PM »

I advanced the game through quests, so I usually had direction when playing.  After I left Scyda Neen for Balmora, I started doing quests for the various guilds there.  That way, I was earning money, information, and going places at the same time.  In my travels in those quests is usually where I'd run into further cool things, including sometimes extra little quests that you'd pick up along the way.  I remember there was a stretch between Caldera and Gnisis where it seemed I would always run into someone new who had some sort of interesting job for me to do.
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2005, 05:04:50 PM »

The only part of Morrowind that I REALLY hated was Vivec.

Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2005, 10:31:52 PM »

Sorry about the semi-double post, I got an idea.

You know, we have a setting sitting right under our nose, and no one thought about it. Why not use the Hero6 world for the next RPS?

Brassfire
Music Admin
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2005, 10:37:35 PM »

Maybe once the game is out and people can see what the world is actually like.

"A dragon is not going to care if you are gay or not. They are going to eat you anyway."
~Brassfire the Mage~
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2005, 01:44:00 AM »

Yeah, we'd need a member of the Hero6 plot team to have any idea what was in the world.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: