Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Offtopic Mayhem (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | |-+  So ummm, how are things going
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So ummm, how are things going  (Read 4812 times)
Jafar
Famous Adventurer

New Age Retro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2004, 12:06:19 AM »

I was about to argue the point, but I think that Phattie handled it nicely.

Jarada Knight: The Honorable Marshmallow
Striker
Programming Team
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2004, 12:32:25 AM »

For me, this *isn't* the worst project I've been a part of.  However, that really isn't saying much. Sad
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 12:36:45 AM by Striker » Logged
Brassfire
Music Admin
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2004, 12:38:08 AM »

The reason your post was deleted is because this is an off-topic forum and you tried to keep it on topic! 

I'd like to refer you to this forum's rules:

Offtopic Mayhem Rules

You will not be warned again!
PHattiE, that is the stupidest reason I have ever heard for deleting a post.

Not only does JasonL have a right to criticize Hero6, *everyone* has that right. What have we produced in the SEVEN years we've been in operation?

You know, for someone who believes in democracy and freedom of speech, you were very quick to delete this post, PHattiE. Why are you so scared of a little criticism?

JasonL - Your post was reported to the moderators. When criticising Hero6, please do it in a calmer manner, as that will help reason to prevail over trigger-happy dictatorship. Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 12:40:13 AM by Brassfire » Logged

"A dragon is not going to care if you are gay or not. They are going to eat you anyway."
~Brassfire the Mage~
Valiant
Plot Admin
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2004, 01:20:46 AM »

I deleted that post and i was sure to defend that decision in a post if i wasn't in such a hurry. Jason you are quite pathetic if you decide to flame the project where you have been kicked out because of several reasons. If you would have any selfrespect you wouldn't do something like that. After behaving in such an unbelievable bad way you should retain yourself from these forums.

Even though hero6 might have several aspects to critizise, you are the last person on earth to do that.  
Phats
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2004, 03:36:40 PM »

Not only does JasonL have a right to criticize Hero6, *everyone* has that right. What have we produced in the SEVEN years we've been in operation?
Now THAT is the stupidest reasoning I've ever heard!  (no offense).  If hero6 takes 2 millenia to complete, noone has the right to biatch.  We're not doing this to prove anything.  At least I'm not.  Unless you are paying us money, we are NOT going to feel obligated to entertain or satisfy you.

I just don't understand members who get all flustered.  We're making a game.  For fun.  Why do people get so uptight over it?  If you don't enjoy making the game, you're missing the point.  If you don't like the speed development is going, do something about it.  I'm sick of hearing people sit on their ass and complain.  
Striker
Programming Team
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2004, 07:52:33 PM »

Actually, considering Jason was a participating member and experienced what was going on inside the project first hand, I think he has every right (as was said earlier) to criticize what went on.  Even if he was kicked out.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 07:53:28 PM by Striker » Logged
phats
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2004, 09:36:48 PM »

And we have every right to erase his post (something that I personally would never do [considering guest users don't have access to do so Wink] ).

From what I could tell though, Jason wasn't whining about the internal problems of hero6, but with the way things are responded to here on the visitors side.  Which makes your point invalid.  As well as mine.

hell, forget I said anything. Wink

PS.  This is not an open invitation to whine about the internal problems of hero6 Wink.

PPS. Can anyone name a project that came before us?  I always brag we were the first

PPPS. I can list a few dozen projects less organized than us.  

PPPPS. I was just trying to be silly in my first post.  Humor is either something that you either got, or you don't.  I pitty those who don't!  
Brassfire
Music Admin
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2004, 12:28:08 AM »

I'm sorry I bitched at you about it, Phattie.

Valiant, please do not delete posts without a post explaining that. If you're in a hurry you can icq someone else to deal with it.

The post being deleted made a much bigger issue out of this than it should have been.

"A dragon is not going to care if you are gay or not. They are going to eat you anyway."
~Brassfire the Mage~
Striker
Programming Team
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2004, 03:24:13 AM »

And we have every right to erase his post (something that I personally would never do [considering guest users don't have access to do so Wink] ).
So we've become AGD, now, huh? Wink

From what I could tell though, Jason wasn't whining about the internal problems of hero6, but with the way things are responded to here on the visitors side.
Actually, he did point out some internal problems in his post, as well.

PPPPS. I was just trying to be silly in my first post.? Humor is either something that you either got, or you don't.? I pitty those who don't!
Had you been the one who had deleted the post (as it appeared), it would have been more asshole-ish than funny.  However, knowing what I now know... I probably would have said something along the same lines, had I been in your possition. cool
« Last Edit: October 23, 2004, 03:24:36 AM by Striker » Logged
WuPhu
Knight

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2004, 10:14:00 PM »

http://www.sierratimes.com/images/bush_tshirt.jpg

^ 3 teachers got kicked out of a Bush rally just for wearing that shirt
« Last Edit: October 23, 2004, 10:18:36 PM by WuPhu » Logged

JasonL
Banned
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2004, 01:53:56 PM »

? huh

I would like to say to justify myself, I have no idea how the project is going these days I was more talking about the guest forums. You can't find anything that is up to date in this place. okay I understand everyone is busy, but can't someone update the progress report? I have seen more up to date reports in the members section. I know their were set back and things that were close to done were being totally redone but the date on the progress report says Jan-28-2003:
http://www.hero6.com/visitors/modules/proj...article&artid=1
Thats nearly 2 years old. And when someone comes in and asks for an update they don't get any real information. No I know you can't do up to the minute reporting but at least a monthly progress report maybe? I know that if I go to a new projects website and try to find out info and the last thing I see is from two years ago I figure the project is dead.

I know non of the members here like me anymore for valid and non-valid reasons but you have to admit I have a good point.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 02:08:40 PM by JasonL » Logged

Ex-Art Member
Outchanter
Music Team
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2004, 05:17:14 PM »

? huh

I would like to say to justify myself, I have no idea how the project is going these days I was more talking about the guest forums. You can't find anything that is up to date in this place. okay I understand everyone is busy, but can't someone update the progress report? I have seen more up to date reports in the members section. I know their were set back and things that were close to done were being totally redone but the date on the progress report says Jan-28-2003:
http://www.hero6.com/visitors/modules/proj...article&artid=1
Thats nearly 2 years old. And when someone comes in and asks for an update they don't get any real information. No I know you can't do up to the minute reporting but at least a monthly progress report maybe? I know that if I go to a new projects website and try to find out info and the last thing I see is from two years ago I figure the project is dead.

I know non of the members here like me anymore for valid and non-valid reasons but you have to admit I have a good point.
Hey, it's fun to insult people. That doesn't necessarily denote dislike.

Besides, as the UN has proven, nothing cannot be solved by reasonable argument Cheesy

Ye find yeself in yon dungeon. Ye see a flask.

What wouldst thou deau?
Bigryan_
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2004, 04:48:27 PM »

Well this is interesting.

The whole point for me of being part of hero6 was to have some fun making a game.  I've enjoyed being here.  But recently it's slowed.  Each time it slows, it slows a little bit more.

So as to how things are going recently, I gotta say that it is a slow period.  I don't really see any chance of things picking up, because the old members are getting older and we don't seem to be getting new members quite as easily.  It would be nice to target people that are between 16-22, but those people didn't necesarily grow up in the qfg generation.  So they are harder to recruit.  And when we do get them it is somewhat hard to get them involved correctly.

As for what JasonL said, I think in a lot of ways he's right.  He hopes he's wrong because he was a contributing member, and I think he'd like to see this project completed.

But let's face it this team is high on critisisers and complainers and mediocre in productive members.  Often those productive members lives will get busy but then instead of just letting the project grow they feel like staying around as critisisers and complainers about how whoever is more productive at that time is not implementing their vision.

Recently, things have slowed even more (at least as far as i can tell).  Some have become disenchanted with the game, and the members that used to be the core are just plain old getting older.  I know lots of us have gotten married (since I've started hero6, I've graduated, joined a large telecomunications company, got married and bought a dog).  As you get older, time for video game making decreases.  It's just nature.

Now, a part of me feels like I'm making a post mortum.  This isn't the case (at least I hope not).  The team is still alive.  I think the question is, are we alive enough to make a final push, that will bring the game to a completed state, because we are getting close?  Are the members that aren't productive willing to let go enough to let the game get completed by those who are?

I don't know the answers to those questions.  But what I do think is that if there isn't a final push before the end of 2005, or we are joined by some new on fire members, that will be a sure sign to me that people have drifted so much that completion may become indeed difficult to reach.

This isn't bad news.  completion is closer and closer.
JasonL
Banned
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2004, 03:17:06 AM »

Hey BigRyan, long time no talk.

One thing I think that is making this game so hard to finish is that it is taking to long to finish. Confused? Well it is just like you said. The people that have the time to work on something like this either don't have any idea what QFG is because they were too young or they are working on their own projects. Go check out the members list on AGS.
The members are mostly in the age range that you mentioned or at least under 30.
Members list
My suggestion is to try to recruit some of the good artists there that have no clue about plot or programming.
Or someone that like likes to program but sucks at drawing.
They have 2306 members I think there are probably a few people there that want to make a game or help make a game but just don't have it in them to make a complete game themselves.

Myself, I'd rather do all the work on the game and not have the chance for someone to change all the plans around on me but hey that?s just me.

Ex-Art Member
Bigryan_
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2004, 06:01:02 PM »

I don't know.  Good artists are somewhat hard to come by.  But I think we've recruited some really awesome ones in the past.  The team has just had a hard time getting them to work correctly.  I mean, you know, we've had a few that are fairly awesome, but the problem with it was that the game design was so warped that the plot department really had no idea what sprites needed to be done.  They were asking for up to 6 time consuming animations (walking ect) for a npc that didn't even do anything, ie someone that would just sell bread.  Then to find out that he was later cut....  The good news is that things seem somewhat to have changed, the bad news is that things are going so slow that in the past few months i think i've seen one piece of art implemented.

I don't know what can be done to save the project.  But I think it is at a point where it really needs to be saved.  If I had more time though, I think your idea is good, recruit more people from the ags forums and have them help us with some art or puzzles or programming.  We're really close to finishing, we just need a save.  Also I think we need to cut down our expectations and just finish.  I should have some time in January, maybe I'll put together some stuff.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: