Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Hero6 Discussion (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | |-+  Cultural Settings
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cultural Settings  (Read 3892 times)
Michael
« on: June 29, 2005, 02:23:43 AM »

Hi, let me first say that I was a huge fan of the original QFG games and nothing since has seemed to be able to fill its shoes; thank you to all the members for their hard work, and all for free!

I'm very new to the site, so if what I'm about to ask has already been asked before I apologize.

One of the more endearing aspects of the original Quest for Glory series was the way each installment in the series took place in a different cultural setting.  I would always eagerly look forward to each new episode to see where it would be set in and how the design team managed to portray the richness of a particular Earth land and mythos into what was at once a stand-alone adventure and a coherent storyline across the series.  In QFG1 you had your classic west European medieval fiefdom, Spielburg.  Then the hero was whisked to the Arabian city of Shapeir, then to the African-Egyptian Tarna, the Trannsylvanian horror of Mordavia, and the ancient grandeur of Greco-Roman Silmaria.  

My question is, is this approach something that the team of Hero6 is considering, should they make more games in the future?  
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 03:54:56 AM »

Hi Michael. Thanks for the kind words.

My question is, is this approach something that the team of Hero6 is considering, should they make more games in the future?

Yes, this is something that the team will do for the sequels. The current game is Celtic, while Hero7 will most likely be Norse.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 04:11:51 AM by Swift » Logged

Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 06:46:50 AM »

the Trannsylvanian horror of Mordavia
I resent that! I find it insulting to all of us who live in Transylvania! (Which is not a country, but a region, mind you)

Ok, so maybe I don't  rolleyes ...but we must not forget the Slavic-Russian inspiration in QFG4... Tongue  

One day I will bring peace to the world with my invincible Army of Mice

Michael
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 02:37:20 PM »

Hi Michael. Thanks for the kind words.

You're very welcome.

Yes, this is something that the team will do for the sequels. The current game is Celtic, while Hero7 will most likely be Norse.

Great!  I was anticipating a Norse setting way back as a possibility because of Brauggi the frost giant from Jotunheim in QFG1.  He could have been a tie-in to another quest for the Hero in his homeland, but maybe after stuffing himself with all those apples he was too full to get home laugh.
Olorin
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 04:19:32 PM »

Hero7 will most likely be Norse.
Wasn't there some talk about also including Native American elements, involving the Vikings' colony in the New World?

...Transylvania! (Which is not a country, but a region, mind you)
Although it was, at different points in history, the center of the kingdom of Dacia, a part of various different empires, and even at one time an independent principality.

And the fact that Dracula is a lot of people's only cultural reference for Eastern Europe means that many can't help but associate vampire gothic horror with Transylvania.

Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 04:27:17 PM »

Wasn't there some talk about also including Native American elements, involving the Vikings' colony in the New World?
There was some discussion in the forums a few years ago, but nothing's been confirmed yet, so it's hard to say.

Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 04:38:46 PM »

...Transylvania! (Which is not a country, but a region, mind you)
Although it was, at different points in history, the center of the kingdom of Dacia, a part of various different empires, and even at one time an independent principality.

And the fact that Dracula is a lot of people's only cultural reference for Eastern Europe means that many can't help but associate vampire gothic horror with Transylvania.
I know what you mean. But it sucks when people say Mummies and Frankenstein and all sorts of stuff live in Transylvania/Romania, just because of Bram Stoker.

"Hey, where are you from?"

"Romania."

"Cool! They have Dracula!"

I hate it... :glare:

And now, a question. Will the Japanese setting be used in future project?

Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 04:42:48 PM »

Yeah, I hear you're planning to have a Cyborg Ninja Samurai as the boss of H7.

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 05:00:25 PM »

I know what you mean. But it sucks when people say Mummies and Frankenstein and all sorts of stuff live in Transylvania/Romania, just because of Bram Stoker.

"Hey, where are you from?"

"Romania."

"Cool! They have Dracula!"

I hate it... :glare:

Ok, Ok, I'm sorry for the Transylvania reference.  I should have said "Eastern European" (which would include all the Slavic countries without singling out any specific one), but QFG4 also clearly meant to mix in a whole bunch of elements from the Gothic Horror genre (which are not necessarily associated with Eastern Europe): such as vampires (Katrina), Frankensteinian mad scientists (Dr. Cranium), Lovecraftian Cthulhu influence ("Avoozl"), etc.

I think an Oriental setting would rock, if done well.
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 05:01:48 PM »

Not funny, Corsair.

As for a Japanese setting, I'm not sure about that either. We do hope to do an Asian setting for one of the future sequels, but the team hasn't decided on a specific one yet.

Striker
Programming Team
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 08:18:44 PM »

Not funny, Corsair.
I don't know, I found his comment kind of amusing for once.
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 10:53:10 PM »

Thanks, O Mighty Turban. Oh, right!

Yeah, an eastern setting would be cool. I'd like Japanese mythology, I see enough of China in Dynasty Warriors.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 10:53:55 PM by Corsair5 » Logged

Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2005, 02:49:58 AM »

I moved the quests discussion over to "Future Hero6 Projects" forum as the discussion belonged there. This forum is for Hero6 only.

Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2005, 08:01:54 AM »

As for a Japanese setting, I'm not sure about that either. We do hope to do an Asian setting for one of the future sequels, but the team hasn't decided on a specific one yet.
Actually, it could be interesting. The hero could become a Samurai and have to life by the Bushido code. Of course, I'm not suggesting changing the character class.

However, the Oriental setting doesn't leave too much room for magic.

Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2005, 10:11:17 AM »

Not quite. The hero can learn magic from a deity, or some sort of magical sifu. There might be other ideas as well, but that would depend on the type of oriental cultural setting.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: