Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Offtopic Mayhem (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | |-+  Bioware writing contest - The Spotlight Interview
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bioware writing contest - The Spotlight Interview  (Read 3594 times)
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2006, 12:20:18 PM »

I made a module for the Bioware writing contest (http://www.bioware.com/biozone/articles/2005_11_30_WritingContest/index.html) during the weekend. You can download it at http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=4627. Could you please vote as well? Five modules will be shortlisted through votes and three from a select group of people. I think you'll have to register with the website if you want to vote. Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 04:28:38 PM by Swift » Logged

Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 06:17:51 PM »

Here's the game in script form. Please read it and review, though it would be useful to vote as well after that. Since it's a writing contest, and not a scripting contest, it should be possible to judge whether the game is good or bad from the writing alone, without having to play it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 12:14:29 PM by Swift » Logged

Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 12:43:39 PM »

Alright, apparently the attachment couldn't be viewed properly for some reason, so please download from here.

Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 08:41:00 PM »

It's very interesting. Truly a skillful work, especially as your first attempt.  

Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 01:08:34 AM »

Thanks, Corsair. Would you mind posting those comments on the voting page, and giving a vote as well?

Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 04:12:10 PM »

Added a mod for the vanilla NWN version.

Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 05:52:16 PM »

Good work, Swift. I liked it. Voting and commenting now.

One day I will bring peace to the world with my invincible Army of Mice

Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 06:38:26 PM »

Thank you, Silverbolt. Kiss

Corsair, since you played the game, you can vote too.  

Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 01:14:25 PM »

Thanks for voting, Corsair. Smiley

Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 08:48:31 PM »

Vy, zank thou, madame.

Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 02:19:38 AM »

The voting contest will end near the end of March. Quite a lot has happened since then. If you'd been following the voting patterns, we have some people who voted for the person rather than the quality of the mod. eg. "I've didn't play your mod, but you're a famous person so I'm giving you a ten to support you!". Yeah, pretty annoying.

I took part in this contest to see whether I'm capable of producing a game under heavy time constraints (started on it only days before the deadline) and how far I'd go compared to the other mods, especially by those that are experienced with the toolset and knew about this contest from day one. The first objective was achieved, but the second one was disappointing, mainly because too few are voting in general and some who do are voting based on anything else but the mod's quality itself.

If you're able to play any of the mods (including mine), it would be helpful if you could vote what you liked about it and what can be improved on. If you aren't able to play it for whatever reason, you can view the script I posted for my mod and vote based on that (since it's a writing contest after all). For the other mods, you can try to use a text editor to view those.

I'm not making this post to garner a bunch of tens to win, because I'm not interested in that. I knew from the very beginning that I'm not going to win, and I accept that. All I want is to receive feedback and to see where my mod stands in terms of the voting.

If you do not wish to create a new account to vote, or feel that you're not able to review it objectively, then you can just post your thoughts here.  

Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 07:24:40 PM »

As the contest draws to a close, a lot of participants became the victims of cheating. Be it vote spamming, or giving 1s under false charges, or writing incredibly dubious comments and voting way below standard deviation in order to pull the votes down. Two nights ago I was among the top 5, and now I've fallen after receiving a handful of dubious votes myself. I was able to get the admin to remove a couple of sabo votes for an obvious cheating case for someone else's mod, but not for a number of other mods, including my own. It's hard to say at this point what the outcome will be. All I can say is that if you haven't voted, then please vote, and not just for my mod, but for others as well. Please don't let the cheaters get away with pulling down votes. I think today's the last day to vote.

Jigen
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 01:29:59 AM »

When do you get the results in?

Set a match alight, and a man will be warm for a minute.
Set a man on fire and he\'ll be warm the rest of his life.
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2006, 03:18:02 PM »

I don't know. They announced last week that it'll be this week, but the newsletter came and went, and still no news about the contest.

Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 05:07:29 PM »

When the voting deadline closed, I was in the top 6. Then the author whose mod was in the top 5 asked for the latest three votes to be removed even though they were high votes because she felt that they were suspicious votes, so her selfless act pulled her down, allowing me to enter the top 5. As much as I wanted to tell everyone that I made it to the top 5, I wasn't sure whether the results announced would reflect that. In fact, a part of me feared that the worst was yet to come.

The results were announced a few hours ago, and they baffle me.

http://www.bioware.com/biozone/articles/20...ontest_winners/

The top five modules as selected by our panel of judges. These modules were hand selected after every single module submitted to the contest was reviewed from the 313 submissions.

1. Myranni's Magic by Mat Jobe
2. The Realm Below by Chris Amos
3. Aspects by Neilan 'Darric' Naicker
4. A Moonless Night by Kevin Chan
5. Ghosts of the Past by Illemira/Aedalena

The top five as voted on by the community (excluding any modules already selected for the top five by our judges). These rankings are based solely on module final rankings according to NWVault at the time the contest closed:

1. Firestarter by Adam Miller
2. Walking with the Ghost (Contest Version) by Chris Tihor
3. A Hero's Death by Thad Boyd
4. The Badger, the Cat and the Book by Chris R. Deatherage
5. Find the Fish! by nereng

Let me draw your attention to two mods in particular - "Walking with the Ghost (Contest Version)" and "Find the Fish". "Walking with the Ghost" was submitted late as the author himself wrote. Quite a number of community members commented that it's a disqualified entry because of the fact that it was submitted late, and yet it's in the top 5 for the voting category. Why? My mod, "The STAR Quest" and "Grains of Truth" received higher ratings each compared to "Find the Fish" (8.7+ vs 8.59), and yet not one of those three entries are listed in the top 5, while "Find the Fish" is. In fact, looking at the search results, quite a number of other mods had received higher ratings than "Find the Fish", but weren't in the top 5 for the voting category.

I posted my response in http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.ht...477035&forum=41. I doubt I'll get a reply from them (or one that would be satisfactory). While I knew I won't win from the very beginning, to lose in this manner, when there are mods up there that by right shouldn't be there, is downright ridiculous and insulting.

I guess I should have realised that this contest won't have a good outcome from the way they treated the contest from the start.

Nonetheless, I'd like to thank all those who took the trouble to play or read my mod and voted. I appreciate the feedback.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 06:31:42 PM by Swift » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: