Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Hero6 Discussion (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | |-+  Another "When will this project be finished" questions
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another "When will this project be finished" questions  (Read 10962 times)
PHattiE
Administrator
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2006, 10:30:10 PM »

Actually, Mr lazy, the size of the adventure game is only a small variable in determining the hours needed to complete an adventure game.

Alright, I was going to explain the mathmatics of determining game creation hours; however a brilliant--- no, GENIUS idea came to me (©)!!  

I want to start a contest:

Everyone is going to make an adventure game!!!

Here are the rules:

a - You are allowed 2 weeks to create it
b - You must use AGS
c - You must use minimal art (stick figures or ripped art... nothing fancy)
d - You must have a complete and UNIQUE story with puzzles--but not more than 30 minutes of gameplay
e - Music optional

At the end of 2 weeks, we all get to download each other's games and determine the winner!!!

Cool, or what?  I think it's freakin' awesome.  See, because then we can rank each other's design skills AND have fun playin' new games!  Plus people are eligible to biatch and moan about how slow we are because they have experience making a game!

We might need to let people ramp up on AGS first, but AGS is super simple to learn, so that's not a big deal.  I bet anyone could complete an adventure game in 2 weeks.  The slow part is getting together quality art work, a complex story, a solid game engine, and good music.  But we forgo all of this in the contest with the rules!  

So?  Who's with me??!?  I'm in.  But I ain't gonna start until we have at least 5 other people enter the contest.

PS. We could even invite people from other forums like the AGS forums.  I know a lot of people have good game dev ideas-- this would give them a chance to get started on their game project, and then use their little stickfigure game as a lure to get members to join their team.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 10:35:33 PM by PHattiE » Logged

Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2006, 01:41:22 AM »

What's the prize? There has to be an incentive for this.

Reish Vedaur
Plot Team
Adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2006, 01:42:43 AM »

I'd love to.  Maybe gnab my friend Coleman for the programming while I do art and story... Yeah, that could work.

PHattiE
Administrator
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2006, 11:44:43 PM »

What's the prize? There has to be an incentive for this.
How 'bout this:  1 year of hosting through goddady.com paid by yours truly?

You can use that hosting to advertise your new game!

I think it'd be a fun contest, but I can't tell you how ridiculously busy I've been recently.  I spend my weekdays AND weekends at work (12 hour days - with a 2 hour excursion to the gym around noon).  I really want to submit my own creation to the contest, but I can't seem to figure out how I'd get the time...

But there are a lot of people who want to create their own adventure games, and I'd love to see them do it.  So we need to get some people interested in this contest to come by and discuss.  We need a start date and a submission cut-off date...

PS- I think I could get my brother to start-up a forum for us to discuss and help people with AGS.  He has a website called youngwritersforum.net... I think it'd be a great place to gather, since adventure game design is a form of writing (just a different medium).  That way we can be indifferent as to where submissions are coming from.  I'll post about this later
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 11:50:29 PM by PHattiE » Logged

Warman88
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2006, 12:16:28 AM »

you serious about that Phattie?? lol,  if you were, I wish I could program, cuz I can't program worth a dang..

I been off this foum for like,4 or 5 months, and I thought Hero 6 would be done by now,since last time I was here, someone wrote a preview for Hero6..
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2006, 02:02:29 AM »

PHattiE's definitely serious about it.

Well, I like the idea, PHattiE, but we really need to plan this carefully, or we'll wind up having a similar situation to what Bioware's having with their contest at the moment, where people were confused by the vague rules and the rules continued to shift around even after the contest deadline.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 02:07:03 AM by Swift » Logged

PHattiE
Administrator
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2006, 06:33:16 PM »

I sorta went off-topic, so I'll start a new thread in the "Off-topic Mayhem"

Guest_Ovulator
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2006, 04:28:53 AM »

That phattie fact needs some further explaning. Adventure games can vary in size and complexity quite a bit. Is it 11,392 hours for a game like Hero6 or just a medium size VGA adventure game?

Oh and that is 11,392 hours for one person right(as opposed to a team)? Hero6 is by no means a solo team, although perhaps it's daily efforts have averaged out to 4 hours a day! Smiley

Since Hero6 started as an amateur project by amateur amateur game designers(laugh), I'd think some of those early years might not have been spent too efficiently. IE: Art that is too low quality to be used today, indecisiveness about the plot etc. So either Hero6 still has a long way to go OR the team has been making up for lost time. Wink
Since Hero6 started as an amateur project by amateur amateur game designers(laugh), I'd think some of those early years might not have been spent too efficiently. IE: Art that is too low quality to be used today, indecisiveness about the plot etc. So either Hero6 still has a long way to go OR the team has been making up for lost time. Wink

I was on the original team 7 years ago, and thats exactly what it was. The fact that is was a large team actually detered progress. Because of the lack of progress I can only assume that this is still the case, though I hope not. I always check back periodically to see if progress has been made still.
Ovulator
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2006, 04:33:57 AM »

hey look i could have logged in!

sorry about the double quote/post.
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2006, 05:14:38 AM »

Hi Ovulator. Progress is still being made. In fact, I'm in the process of scripting the Innkeeper's dialogue for the demo. Four dialogues have been done so far within these three days and there's two more to put in, which should hopefully be done by this weekend. Which department were you originally from? Are you able to come back to help speed up progress?

[edit] Finished scripting.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 10:02:20 AM by Swift » Logged

Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2006, 04:52:25 AM »

Demo? I thought there weren't gonna be any more demos.

Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2006, 07:35:04 AM »

Yes, there won't be any demos released to the public, but that doesn't mean there aren't any demos created for the team. I think they call it a demo because not all the content is scripted yet.

Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2006, 09:02:58 PM »

(Note: The following is not affiliated with the true opinion of the esteemed Corsair)

I hate you, Swift. You said that JUST so I'd get my hopes up.

lazygamer
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2006, 03:03:33 AM »

Yah when I heard her say demo my hopes rose for a moment. Than I realized that demo could just be their slang for alpha. Smiley

Q: When will it be released?
A: When it is done.

-Lazygamer on fangame cliches
Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2006, 09:16:26 PM »

It's still sadism.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: