Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Offtopic Mayhem (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | |-+  Free MMO's
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Free MMO's  (Read 4769 times)
Reish Vedaur
Plot Team
Adventurer

View Profile WWW
« on: August 22, 2005, 01:36:31 PM »

So my friend Andrea has been wanting to find and play a free MMORPG for awhile, so she went around searching and most of them have been pretty crap or cost money, but a few of them are mediocre/servicable or unique.

FlyFF (Fly For Fun) is just like any other 3D MMORPG, maybe a little prettier than some, but for the most part it's literally the same save for the flying -- if you can cut through the Engrish and get a handle on what they're trying to tell you.

MapleStory is a unique, 2D platforming beat-em-up with RPG elements (more of a "build your stats and collect items" thing -- then again, what MMO isn't?).  It's cute and kinda hokey, but it's fun and not hard to get into.

Gunz is a third-person shooter (in other words, you're looking at your guy from the back) built with the Half-Life 1 engine, with a few Matrix-style moves and hand-to-hand combat as well as firearms, but the system is built more to appease the MMO fans than the FPS fans and it suffers from stubborn design; still, worth a try since it's in Open Beta and won't be free forever.

Like most asian games (most games in general, but particularly asian ones), these games are not in the least bit about teamplay.  It's all about your character and trying to look cool... within their guidelines.

Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 07:19:07 PM »

Guild Wars - not free, but no monthly fees. And the game is great. Been playing since Friday.

One day I will bring peace to the world with my invincible Army of Mice

Rulic
Squire

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 11:47:11 PM »

Guild Wars - not free, but no monthly fees. And the game is great. Been playing since Friday.
I've been debating about that one.  I play WoW now and then.  I'm taking a big break from it cuz 1) I can't stay caught up with my guildies, 2)on my server, outside the guild, there's not much of a social aspect, and 3) I hate being labelled as a bandwagon jumper.  Even though I am.   Tongue

Anyways, to get back on subject....  if you could keep me posted on how that's going for ya (GuildWars that is), perhaps I might just buy it.   I hear its very Diablo-ish.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 11:49:23 PM by Rulic » Logged
Pwincess
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 12:07:06 AM »

Been playing Guildwars for the past two months and absolutely love it!

P.S.  Basically a lot of people who were involved with the development of Diablo were also involved with the making of Guildwars Tongue
Reish Vedaur
Plot Team
Adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 12:19:17 AM »

If that's supposed to be a good thing I'm not sure why Wink <hates Diablo>

EvilSandwich
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 01:32:54 AM »

If that's supposed to be a good thing I'm not sure why Wink <hates Diablo>
Diablo is a good game and the online version is mad-fun, it just sucks because the community is full of mean-spirited people and retards. No matter how good an online game is, a bad community will completely ruin it.

That's why I play Meridian 59. It suffers from the exact opposite problem. It's a sub-standard game, but its full of really cool people. Cheeky wink

(It's not free, though.)

Rulic
Squire

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 01:41:29 AM »

Too bad 'The Realm' isn't free nowadays.  I jump back and forth on the game.
Now talk about an MMO that had some trials and tribulations.
Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 07:03:01 AM »

P.S.  Basically a lot of people who were involved with the development of Diablo were also involved with the making of Guildwars Tongue
You absolutely MUST give me your character name so I can add you to my friends list so we can kill stuff together!

As for how Guild Wars is, well, it's not a MMO per se. I mean, you have your towns and safe areas where there are a lot of players, but once you form a party and go adventuring, you get a separate copy of the adventure map. Just you, your party and a load of beasts to kill, so everyone can complete the main quest separately. Anyway, the real attraction, I hear is the PvP system, or should I say GvG. I'm in the process of assembling a guild myself.

Rulic
Squire

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 09:22:18 AM »

Oh, okay.  So the whole world except the towns are like instances?
One of my guildies friends (a friend of a friend of a friend  Cheesy ) was supposed to get back in touch with us on how he was doing on GW.  No news is good news I guess.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 09:37:25 AM by Rulic » Logged
Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 11:52:44 AM »

He either can't stop playing or a giant monster has ingested his brains.

Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 06:01:14 PM »

Or both. The giant monster might have ingested the computer as well.

Rulic
Squire

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2005, 07:48:41 PM »

He can't stop playing AND the giant monster ingested him and his computer.

Oh wait.....uhhhh, what he said.
/open mouth
/insert foot
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 07:50:01 PM by Rulic » Logged
Striker
Programming Team
Superhero

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2005, 09:45:54 PM »

Meh, Diablo 2 was boring both as a Multiplayer and a Single Player game.  The first one was a passable single player game though.
Pwincess
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2005, 12:33:53 AM »

I'm a recovering Diablo addict  Cheesy  
Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2005, 11:39:44 AM »

P.S.  Basically a lot of people who were involved with the development of Diablo were also involved with the making of Guildwars Tongue
You absolutely MUST give me your character name so I can add you to my friends list so we can kill stuff together!

As for how Guild Wars is, well, it's not a MMO per se. I mean, you have your towns and safe areas where there are a lot of players, but once you form a party and go adventuring, you get a separate copy of the adventure map. Just you, your party and a load of beasts to kill, so everyone can complete the main quest separately. Anyway, the real attraction, I hear is the PvP system, or should I say GvG. I'm in the process of assembling a guild myself.
My request still stands. Come ooooooon!!!  :'(  Look, see? I'm crying.

huh

I don't know where that came from.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: