Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Offtopic Mayhem (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | |-+  Man's static jacket sparks alert
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Man's static jacket sparks alert  (Read 1411 times)
Raito
« on: August 01, 2006, 10:26:45 PM »

author = BBC News Asia-Pacific

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4252692.stm

Man's static jacket sparks alert
An Australian man built up so much static electricity in his clothes as he walked that he burned carpets, melted plastic and sparked a mass evacuation.

Frank Clewer, of the western Victorian city of Warrnambool, was wearing a synthetic nylon jacket and a woollen shirt when he went for a job interview.

As he walked into the building, the carpet ignited from the 40,000 volts of static electricity that had built up.

"It sounded almost like a firecracker or something like that," he said.

"Within about five minutes, the carpet started to erupt," he told Australian radio.

Considerable current

Perplexed firemen evacuated the building and cut its electricity supply, thinking the burns could have been caused by a power surge.

"There were several scorch marks in the carpet, and we could hear a cracking noise - a bit like a whip - both inside and outside the building," said fire official Henry Barton.

Mr Clewer said that after leaving the building, he scorched a piece of plastic in his car.

His clothes were measured by firemen as carrying an electrical charge of 40,000 volts, the Reuters news agency quoted Mr Barton as saying.

The fire official added that the charge was close to being high enough to cause the items to spontaneously combust.

"I've been firefighting for over 35 years and I've never come across anything like this," he said.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 11:02:50 PM by Raito » Logged
Sirus
Squire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 03:54:27 PM »

Dude!!! It's like a real life Electro!

I gotta get me that outfit....  dry

Current Project:Hero of the Rune My QFG Fangame!
Current Status: Working on plot and a design document before getting in over my head.
Raito
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 01:07:08 PM »

Dude!!! It's like a real life Electro!

I gotta get me that outfit....  dry
Oh sure you could, but I shan't let you have it!

*Dangles it over a pit of crocodiles*

Now, you shall fear and envy me!!  devil
anthenor
Knight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 10:25:35 PM »

Sounds like a job for the Mythbusters! http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/about/about.html

\"Before we part, before your neck is broken, You strike first, son of the north\"

Magic & Mayhem
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: