Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Hero6 Forums
|-+  The Hero6 Project
| |-+  Offtopic Mayhem (Moderators: lazygamer, Silverbolt)
| | |-+  Wages of War & Shadows of Darkness
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wages of War & Shadows of Darkness  (Read 4814 times)
Oijl
Initiate

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2006, 01:02:21 AM »

I bought the anthology CD, a while back, but (I'm sorry!) it has become scratched, and the fourth game doesn't work. At any rate, I lost it, so I can't play the third or fourth (the first and second are easy to find on the web).

Just as you would give to Sam, in the alley of Spielburg, will you not also give to Oijl, as he raises his begging bowl up to you, a whine in his voice and pleading in his eye?
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 02:35:56 AM »

Sorry, no can do. Even if someone wants to, he's legal-bound not to, and it's against the forum rule. Since you still have the CD, you can attempt to purchase CD fixing tools to restore it.

Oijl
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 02:49:29 AM »

Alas.  Anyway, thanks.
Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 08:07:41 AM »

I hear rumors of toothpaste and CD repairs, but I wouldn't vouch for it until the Mythbusters prove it.

One day I will bring peace to the world with my invincible Army of Mice

Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 01:51:18 PM »

Have you tried cleaning the disk?

Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 02:24:35 PM »

According to the google search, one way to deal with deep scratches is to take the CD to a DVD video or CD music rental store and have them repair it for a modest fee. Another way is to purchase a disk repair kit.

http://www.infopackets.com/channels/en/win...disc_part_2.htm
http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/resource...damaged-cd.html

Raito
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 03:03:22 PM »

Maybe you could try looking for the cd again and trying to copy its' contents onto your hdd? I'm not sure if you can make a personal backup though. I mean, sometimes, with luck you could try.

Also, cd repair kits don't really help. The purpose of the liquid in such kits is to remove the scratched surface, so you're actually wearing the cd thin.
Oijl
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 03:27:51 PM »

I appreciate this much speculation towards solutions - yet still it is sooth when she says, "scratched surfaces scarcely see salvation."

It's against forum rules, though, to share the games that are not abandonware?  That would be for legal reasons, aye; the games are not produced anymore, however, so I simply wonder why such laws are still in effect.  Unless there is some still unseen (by me) way they come out with a slight profit.  Are there any answers for that?  Or is this just one of the things of the world that has no answer?
Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 04:32:59 PM »

If a game is not abandonware it means that the company still retains commercial rights to it.

Therefore, piracy, or its illegal downloading is...not...legal.

And we as an organization (not necessarily individually  Embarrassed) are against piracy, and do not offer links or otherwise by using these forums (post or PM).

Therefore, sorry, we cannot offer any solutions, advice, or help regarding "procuring" those games.

I feel like a corporate drone saying this. <_<

Oijl
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 05:40:32 PM »

And, sound like one, too.  But that's not too bad.

Yes, I know that it is illegal, and that it's illegal because they retain the copywrite laws.  What I have yet to comprehend is why they choose to still retain the copywrite laws when they make no more money from it.  But, as I said, maybe they do still make money, and I just don't know how.
Silverbolt
Hero

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 06:22:12 PM »

DON'T tempt me, Frodo!

I have no good things to say on the matter, so shut up the hell, I will.

Corsair5
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 08:48:24 PM »

Oijl, you have to understand, this site is teetering on the legality scale, and giving you a link to an illegal download is just the kind of thing that could sink this project with a C&D letter. We can't help you get an illegal copy. I'm sorry, but you'll have to ask someone else.

Oijl
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 12:30:20 AM »

Corsair5, I like you for your signature.
Swift
Famous Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 02:45:17 AM »

Thy keep the rights in case they wish to profit from it in the future, and to prevent others from profiting at their expense. It's also a way to safeguard their reputation, since they don't allow others to make what might be of inferior quality and tarnish their reputation.

Oijl
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 03:49:06 AM »

That makes sense enough.  You're a help, Swift.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: